Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fram filters nightmare story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pir8Darryl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Yes. That, and sometimes 50-50 VO diesel mix.
    And what exactly was I supposed to do? Cut the fucker open with a blowtorch and clean it with my pubic hair??? Oh, no... I got it. Hows about using a product designed for the job? Duh, isn't it obvious that's what I did? :rolleyes:

Are you really that clueless?

No, just for making a chitty product.
    Wrong application. Yep, that's it. Ya got me... It didn't fit so I JB welded it on and sealed it with a bead of silicone

Uuuum...... Because that's what they are supposed to do,,, maybe???

And that's exactly what they DONT do. :rolleyes:
    Did you actually read anything on this post???

Tell that to the single mom I bought the minivan from. The one with the handicapped child in a wheelchair. Tell her that the fram filter that killed her minivan should have been, how do you say it? "Ok"... :rolleyes:

2. railroad

railroad

Some guy, several years ago, bought every brand of filter he could find, even requested brand names to look for. He opened them all, measured the length of the filter elements, counted the pleats, type of materials used, type of valves, gave them a nearly scientific examination. The Fram was the worst, least filter element, cardboard parts and overall cheap and poor quality. This went around on the net, seems like a month or so. Last I read, Fram started leaning on him legally and the pictures and threads were taken down. I remember the Ford and Purolator filters were made by the same and I thought the NAPA's were too. A lot of the filters were just painted by there distributors for logo brand. I still run a Fram or two, but may swear off completely after re reading this stuff. I know my Dad worked for the local electrical utility company and they bought Wix for their trucks and equipment.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Likewise, we are all waiting for you to contribute anything, scientific or otherwise, to this thread. :rolleyes:

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

First you glorify fram then you come right back with spend 50 cents for a better one,and as far as adding something I have been a diesel mechanic for 35 years and from experience Fram sucks so keep on keeping on in your mini-van.and if you would read all posts on a thread you might understand things before jumping bad.

5. Ok lets compare.. its been a while since I have done this:
    I attached two pictures, a Baldwin and a Fram; On the Baldwin you have heavy steal base with rounded base gasket, double rolled seem can to base, Rolled treads (acts like a lock) Spiral steel core metal end caps on the pleated media, the media is glued with a metal crimp, HD spiral spring, and I dont know the count but the Baldwin has more pleats equaling more filtering surface.
    The Fram has thin steel base, single roll can to base seem, straight cut threads and a square cut gasket. stamped perforated core, paper end caps, stamped steel spring and the media is only glued not crimped.

Hopefully thats what you where referring to.

Attached Files:

6. NVScouter

NVScouter

Your ranting is exactly why this gets zero crediblity from me.

Donmon,

Yup That is the way to do it. The quality difference is very aparent.

7. NVScouter

NVScouter

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

nope, he's still right, it should have failed closed, your idea that the fuel pump blew through it is bunk. I've never had a fuel pump overcome a dirty or clogged filter.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You're just a troll, but I'll play... I would use Tide to wash my clothes. As for Fram as a sponsor. Every race sponsor I ever had, I used anything that they made that was related. Michelin tires, Golden Spectro oil. The majority of the stuff wasn't specifically for race applications either. When Fram sponsored riders in CCS they were required to use Fram filters, but there is no specific race application. As a matter of fact I just looked for specific race application filters and I found that FRAM is actually paying for Google adwords for FRAM to come up in the search results. Maybe you should go troll the rock crawler websites.

10. Here is the link to that study.
    http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just figured out why NV SCOUTER is so dang hard on everybody,hes an engineer,and they"re never wrong about anything.bottom line Fram filters are poorly constructed,fact no scientific data,

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Yeah, but Engineers know the beauty of punctuation.

13. Muttley

Muttley

I'm pretty sure he is the long lost nephew and heir to the family fortune, Eduardo Fram.

14. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Hey... Wait a minute. I'm an engineer! :D

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sorry about that Pir8Darryl,having common sense eliminates you from the post,just pisses me off when a know it all talks about things he doesn"know shit about.like Isaid ,sorry!

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just saw something disturbing on my WIX filter, "Made in el mexicano" say it isn't so!!!???:mad:, and where can I get Baldwin filters.

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

As much as I'd like to rip your ass apart about your complete lack of knowledge in this field,,, and my superior knowledge, as I'm one of the original pioneers of bio-diesel and straight vegetable oil technology with hands on experience going back to the 1980's... I'm not going to do so, as it would be 100% counter-productive to the original subject of this thread.

Also, there's the fact that you've demonstrated to us all that your little more than a fucking TROLL!

Add to that, the fact that if you're right, then every single one of us has to be wrong... And it just adds up to you having zero credibility.

Well Ooooo-tay then... I'm calling it for what it is. You really are clueless!

18. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Thanks for the good info you may have saved me money. Thanks

19. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

ROTFLMFAO!!!
    Don't sweat it Brad. I've worked with quite a few engineers with a God complex, so I can relate.

The worst kind of engineer is a Bean-geneer... That's an engineer who takes orders from the bean counters of a corporation. A real engineer [like myself] designs something, and then a Bean-geneer re-designs it with cost savings in mind.

Fram [allied signal] probably has room fulls of beangeneers, and every one of them probably has a degree from a university in China!

20. Did you happen to notice scooters post count ? 14 posts and he's all in a snit about credibility? HEY!!! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! Next time you enter a room, try that instead:rolleyes:

21. NVScouter

NVScouter

True but that assumtion was the OP's not mine. Look to the original post, I just took that at his word.

22. NVScouter

NVScouter

I take that as a full on insult. Engineers are usualy (I've met two that can catch an airplane) the biggest idiots out there. Just because it looks good on paper doesnt mean it will work.

23. NVScouter

NVScouter

It was a cheap shot with the tide. Advertising is just that, can't believe anything on TV. And the internet is worse. Internet hits aren't paying what they used to so it’s a free for all.

So you’re saying you would run a Fram filter in your $30,000 engine to run in a Fram sponsored race? I hope that free $5 makes it worth it

I'll post a build in a day or two to undo the Troll suspicion.

Anyways sorry all for the non-tech in the tech article. But since the OP is an originator of Biodiesel and an engineer that saves disabled children I guess he won’t mind. So what year diesel is it that an engineer can't drop the fuel tank out of again?

Rubberrodder-not in a snit I've just dropped many tanks and rebuilt a few engines. Many of which were old farm rigs and had the torture of redneck ingenuity. While like the OP proves post count isn’t tantamount to knowledge I do realize that a 14 PC doesn’t give me cred. Build threads and actual proof of work does.

24. nutajunka

nutajunka

Did anybody stay at a Holiday Inn last night? :p

25. DMFB

DMFB

I will be yankin my fram filter tomorrow. Geesh.

26. Then if you can't get it in your thick head go look at the thread I linked and search yourself! We have been discussing crappy Fram filters for the whole 10 years I have been on this site. There are probably a dozen threads with a hundred or more folk with input.
    If that is not enough, go look at teh study I linked from an independant guy about filter quality. Dont make me call you a fuckin dipshit.

27. NVScouter

NVScouter

Been called worse and earned it a few times to boot. The funny part is many have assumed I use Fram's junk. Napa golds have run in my rigs for years since they seal and are tried and true for me in over 20 rigs. Just because I say somebody has a use for Fram filters and Walmart oil doesnt mean I do.:D

This and every other site has had this same discussion for years. As I said in the beginning my issue isnt the subject its how people post about it and blame every engine failure on them. Most threads are opinions and little tech so it gets blown off. Most people with failures don't go a head with claims and/or ruin the evidence by poorly opening the filters.

Top that with the "Yeah I've had 4 engines die on me because of them", "yeah I knew my fuel tank was full of sediment and plugging filters...but its Fram's fault" or "You should car bomb them" comments it doesnt make an intelligent argument on the issue.

A couple people here have given good examples, photos, manufacturing, part breakdown, and fitment information. These people should be thanked and the info compiled. Take the trash out of the posting and it could be something for potential buyers to read, respect, and use.

28. I read "Bean-geneer" and umpteen politically incorrect, non-hamb-friendly ideas for what that could be all went through my head.

Isn't this an ancient thread? Why we arguing about filters who's name is only a couple of typos away from being CraP?

29. duste01

duste01

WOW! This thread has been going on for two years. Hey Daryl......