Register now to get rid of these ads!

My shop just got robbed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Sorry to hear it, seams like too many shops are getting hit these days. I am constantly looking for ways to protect whats mine short of an electric fence and proximity mines

2. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

My American Bulldog is 5 years old and 125 pounds, I don't have a shop for him to guard though. I hope you get 'em Gimpy!!

3. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

The state cut overtime, positions within the dept etc..after calling the PD 3 times and waiting 1 1/2 for them to respond to my business, they in so many words stated this is how they protest the understaffing and overtime cuts. It sucks for them to only make 80-100k/year.

Anyways enough politics, that sucks, glad your loss was minimal, coulda been worse

4. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

Why the F@#$ do we even have cops any more if they dont do any thing any more. hope you find the bastards.

5. Then he'd get busted and bad guys win.
    Do the OPD paperwork, get images up on web or You Tube if it's film and be happy you didn't become a stat.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

That sucks man,did they get anything that is marked or easy to idenify?swap meet season is here we can all look.Also couldnt hurt to hit that little flea market by the colisium.bastards!!!!

7. Not to get political, but you guys need to start electing folks that will take this stuff seriously. Sounds like the politicians are giving the crooks permission to run a muck. They won't prosecute property crime, but they'll prosecute you for trying to protect your property?!?!? What the hell.

An old saying in Texas;

Love your neighbor, but keep your gun oiled.

Good luck, hope you Cali guys get your laws changed.

8. they got balls doing it during the day time, it seems like I've heard quite a few stories about shops in Cali getting broken into..makes me second guess if I want to move out there

but glad to hear they didnt get away with much and that you werent hurt

9. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Exactly.

Glad your OK.

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Sorry to hear about you being robbed. I had a guy try to breakin to my home garage one nite,while he was trying to get in I slowly opened a window and let an arrow go from my bow while the old lady loaded the Mossberg,Got his attention when the arrow hit the door about a foot away from him, and she pumped the shot gun,and he had second thoughts. He broke the lock,but didn't get anything. had same response by my local police file a report,call the insurance company, but my neighborhoods been quiet the last 4 years....

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but my deductible is higher than the value of what was stolen. Not to mention the subsequent rate increase for filing a claim.

As I said before, I have recording cameras. I will post the footage to the web as soon as I can figure out how to get it out of the box.

They pried open the locked door. The building is already armored to the extent that the building and fire codes will allow. They enforce those codes with a heavy-hand here, just not the property crime laws.

There is no castle law here. You cannot even carry a concealed firearm. Open carry is still ok, for now.

Let's not drift into politics. This is not the place.

12. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

why would you even consider it?

13. rusty28a

rusty28a

Be careful because thieves like to come back.

14. jjsound

jjsound

To issue those pesky hot rodders wreckless driving citations:D

15. movingviolation

movingviolation

Fak'n douche bags.........
    I'd get myself a big ass neopolatin mastiff and then they would be thinking twice before even steping in with out notice....

16. johnnykck

johnnykck

Man sorry to hear that, I know what it feels like. I got my whole shop cleaned out Easter weekend, tools, equipment, customer vehicles and my Harley. Cops are useless, completely useless. Keep your shop roll up door closed at all times or keep a chain or rope across the doorway of your shop with a sign that says private property, by doing so you make your shop a non public area, then it is legal to carry a gun in your business in California. Get a very good surveillance system and alarm system, the one I had was disabled by the robbers.
    Hope you find the bastards!

California penal code:
    (a)Section 12025 shall not apply to or affect any citizen of the United States
    or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within
    this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section
    12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions
    Code, who carries, either openly or concealed, anywhere within the citizen's or
    legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property
    owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident any pistol, revolver,
    or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(b)No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly
    or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal
    resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state,
    and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1
    of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, to
    purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol,
    revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within
    the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on
    private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.

Just don't step out side of your shop into a public area with a concealed loaded gun.

17. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

That sucks you got robbed. Glad you're OK.

You can't shoot them because you'll go to jail. You can't take their gun from them and beat them with it or you'll go to jail. Maybe if you beat them up empty handed while they're holding a gun you can stay out of jail, but at the very least you'd have to pay their hospital bills. Time to close up shop, go on unemployment, and go fishing.

18. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Doyle reminds me of a very good underrated movie
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gD22Ae3kHLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gD22Ae3kHLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. Heo

Heo

That was a guy here that early in the morning
    was going to hunt ducks. But he forgot some
    thing and went back to his house and found
    a car in front of the house an two thiefs in
    the house.
    He told them he didnt invite them so you
    better sit down and keep your hand where i can
    se them and with the shotgun in hes hands they
    did like he said
    He caled the cops and said he had catched two thiefs
    that was breakin in in hes house and wanted them to come.
    He was told to let them go the nearest cop car was 1 1/2
    hour away. He hung up and the thiefs laughed at him

He caled the cops again and told them the thiefs
    had started to attack him so he had shoot both of them
    in 7 minutes there was 3 cop cars an 2 amulanses there??????

Ps he didnt shoot them but he realy got the cops atention ds

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  20. Some of you guys watch a lot of cowboy movies, don't ya? You can't shoot people in most places. Except, apparently, in Texas. Where,if the TV is to be believed, they hang people for eating salsa from New York City. (Git a rope)

21. Phil, your hippy butt(and I mean that in a nice way) has been stuck on the West coast too long. It isn't just Texas, but a large swath of the USA.

22. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I was gonna suggest(before reading your last post) you should keep your shop locked up a little tighter, but if they pried the locked door open, I guess you did what you could to slow them down. That's all you can do-can't stop them if they decide they really want something worse than you, all you can do is slow them down. No offense but california sucks in that regard. I know it's oakland, but shit-how can a fella protect himself if the fucking hoodlums have more rights than the guy who gets to work every day and pays his taxes and bills etc... Good luck. Glad to hear it was easily replaced items and nothing worse.

23. playtag

playtag

I'm glad you caught them before they cleaned you out.What's this world coming to.Sounds like you need to get 4 or 5 friends and just wait in the dark for them and just beat the living crap out of them.

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Man it's time for either a very large mean ass dog or time to move your shop somewhere else.

I have a very nice pitbull that sit's around all day just waiting for some kind of action.

I know someone who just installed cameras after thinking about it for a few years and the very first day they came home they checked the monitors to see if anything happened that day.

They left for work at 8:AM and at 8:20 a large racoon walked in through the doggy door and hopped up on top of the kitchen counter tops and walked around like he owned the place.

He then ate all the dog's food while the dog layed there and watched him and he then left.

My friend almost crapped in his pants when he saw the film because he now things this has been going on for years and he kept wondering why the dog ate so much.

True story.

Jimbo

25. maybe you could set up a living area in the shop and get a staunch friend to live there free of rent as a nite/day watchman.
    dont need to pay him a wage, just free rent.
    of course, yourd have to have someone you trust well. ive been a watchman for this very thing and chased off several people during the night.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Wit a baseball bat even!!

27. Apparently you don't READ much! How exactly do you define "most"? If by "most" you mean less than half of the states.

Of the 50 states, I believe 27 currently have very specific legislation referred to as the "Castle Law".

Here in Montana as well as most of the midwest we also happen to handle our business.

Those "most" states, California being a prime example are (over) run by scumbag criminals.

28. kustombypook

kustombypook

Wi ag

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

When the sheriffs crime scene investigator dusted our old house for finger prints after we were burglarized, she told us if anyone ever broke in to our house when we were home, to shoot them in the house (yes we have guns in California - I have many) and be sure to tell everyone that the intruder(s) had a gun. She explained to me that you can shoot to kill anyone in your home if you believe to be in fear of your life and the perpetrator has a gun. They don't really have to have a gun, but if you're sure you saw a gun and feel you are in fear for your life you can use deadly force. She told me that if the perpetrator turns out to not have had a gun, you will get in trouble, but do no jail time.

Hope I never have to test that advice.

30. big creep

big creep

cameras cameras cameras!!!! and if you get a shop dog, make sure you train him to only eat when you feed him. my uncle had two german shepherds! they threw poison meat over the fence hoping to kill the dogs. but the dogs knew better than that! and they couldnt get in! hahaha stupid assholes!!! a gun is a must in oakland!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.