Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compliments.....what happens when you drive your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Driving an old car is as close a man can ever get to what it feels like to be a woman. Everywhere you go there is some stupid guy trying to talk to you and get your attention, men are staring at you and making comments.

I feel like a piece of meat when I drive my hot rod. :)

2. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

I've been using my 55 as a daily driver the past month or so. The looks, waves, thumbs up are awesome! But please quit offering to buy her just because she has some rust and could use some work!! :eek:

3. cooljunk

cooljunk

Always get thumbs up though it's not a show car, funny that kids too young to know what it is still like it.
    [​IMG]

4. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

people like to inform me that i drive a scooby doo van...

5. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

It's one of the things I miss about having the open trailer for my race car '55. I welcomed little (and some not so little) kids to have a seat in it, make car noises, and dream a little bit, or watch eyes light up when you fire an open header 496 up just for them. Call it inspiration for someday down the road. Ever since I got an enclosed trailer, I don't get that too much. Occasionally still, when I drive it to a cruise night, or at the race track, but not as much as it used to be.

Now my bobbers have been a different story. Everyone from high school girls, to grandmothers, to wall street types want to know what year they are, what those crazy looking springs at the top of the forks are, why it's so loud, and how you ride something like that. ;)

6. I get lots of stares from kids. They think it's the Batmobile! :D
    I get so many thumbs up, smiles, "what year is it?", "must guzzle gas!" remarks that I'm pretty used to it by now.

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

In the T: good comments, bad comments, how much did it cost, how fast does it go, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang regularly, the person before you sure didn't know how to look after this car... all comedy :D

In the Anglia: mainly good comments, did you do all the work yourself, how much did it cost, how fast does it go, I used to have one of these, my dad used to have one of these, my damn grandfather/uncle/some guy/his mum used to have one... :D

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 46 Military WC-26. Big suburban lookin rig It gad a 270 hemi with the red ram tranny. I was sitting at a light one day and an elderly lady pulled up alongside and said she used to make those. I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride. We spent a wonderful afternoon and I learned alot about the Home Front side of WW2.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know what? I'm not really sure why or even just what it means but they ALWAYS seem to say the same damn thing?..............................

"Step out of the vehicle with your hands up".................................................. .....

Honest, one of these days I'm going to ask just what the problem is.

Doc.

10. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Thats cool. :D

11. beanis

beanis

12. F&J

F&J

I have only had 40+ year old cars or trucks since 95...NOTHING newer. I have many reasons why I use old stuff, but I don't drive oldies for attention. Yes, many good conversations when parking...but ..

I sometimes wish I had a normal car just to blend in at times. Try 15 yrs worth of stares...and some are not "happy stares"...esp if I can't drive fast enough to get out of their way.

13. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

I have the car for me but it is nice when it's appreciated. I like the old guys the best, they come over and start telling stories and I could listen all day. Here in Texas we get a lot of nods and waves.

14. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

Ran to Joann Fabric this evening...
    Cute blond walks up to the car: "Oh my gosh! Its so cool! I really don't know anything about cars but I love yours. It's such a great girl's car!"

*sigh*

15. conormulroney

conormulroney

It's mostly the homeless guys that like my truck, too. But the best one I got was sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn left. The guy in the mini van next to me was staring with the look of utter disgust on his face. Then his beautiful wife leans across him and says, "Nice truck". I had to laugh as they pulled away

Conor

16. Most get thumbs up......I get the finger.....

17. Slow&Low

Slow&Low

The usual:

Thumbs up
    Nice ride
    What Year?
    How much you want?
    My (insert whom ever they knew) had a car just like that or I was taught to drive by (insert whom ever they knew) in a car like that

Pull over, get out, and put you hands on the hood.... (only on special occasions....) :D

18. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

And when I am lucky some pretty girls ask for a ride!

19. dlotraf

dlotraf

Get the thumbs up, waves (wife once said "who the f%$# is that" when a really hot chick in mustang convert waved). Lots of pictures. I was sitting at a light one day and this guy stops short of the light to look, moves up to check out engine, it was cool but the guy just keeps staring, and its a really long light. That was kinda creeping me out. Had an elderly lady, mid 80's I think, grinning and making motion with her hand, like rev it up, or "Peel out". It's all Cool. Unless like some have said, you are in a hurry, or don't feel like talking. I told my buddy "Now I know what a chick with huge boobs feel like"........:D From 8 to 80 people seam to like it.

20. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

I remember pulling up to a light open headers in my 56 chev and people were looking around like where is that noise comming from? Another time a guy got out of his car and said,"what the heck is in that thing, your shaking my rear veiw mirror."
    I love seeing kids reaction pulling mom's hair saying, "LOOK, LOOK!!'

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Drivin down the interstate at 70mph -- I can see your lips move, but I cant hear what youre screamin. So I don't know if its a compliment or not, but I'll take it as one.

Most of the time its -- "are you gonna paint it???"

I say "No, it took over 50yrs to get like this"

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

Hey EP do you show them yer sausage?!

23. phukinartie

phukinartie

I get alot of people rolling up their windows and locking their doors :D

24. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I don't know if this pretains to the subject , but one Saturday after going to the donut derilicts , Art Chrisman told me that he was checking out an old sedan ,when a nice elderly woman who was also looking at the same car turned to him and said " you know during the war , I laid a lot of sailors in the backseat of one of those ". Art said that it took him a while to laughing at that one .

25. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Funny, I didn't know homeless people universally like old cars but I guess it's true! They always seem to be among the most knowledgeable, too.

I rode in an acquaintence's supercar, the reaction was very similar.

After thinking about it, I'm positive lots of people also look down their nose at someone that can't afford a 'real' car LOL

26. Blam

Blam

My day job involves working with elementary school kids, and a lot of refugee kids in and around Boise, most of them don't ever see my car, or tattoo's, but every once and a while they will spot me out around town and they think it's the coolest thing ever.

Most recently one of the Turkish refugee kids saw me at a light in my 60' talking to my friend on his ironhead bobber, the next day he couldn't stop talking about how he saw me in a cool "lowrider car" talking to a man on motorcycle! It always makes me laugh.

27. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

People always want to talk about it. Other car guys (except Vettes) and bikers always wave.

My daughter was embarrased to have me drop her off at school in it for the first time this spring "b/c people will think we're cool."

28. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

We went to the local wing joint last night. It was "bike night", 500 bikes there, so we back around back.. We come out after dinner and these 2 guys are standing there checking out the 37. He says " this is the baddest thing here tonight". It puts a big ol grin on your face............

Later,Bill

29. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

i have a good friend who builds hot rods for a living. he told me just driving down the road and getting a thumbs up is better then any thing you will win at a car show. now i drive my 51 alot i see what he was saying. i love the thumbs up and the people stopping at my shop to ask what year and say nice truck.

30. catbox

catbox

i was out on my first drive after buying my car. just after i crest a small hill the car bucks and dies so i shift into neutral and as i am coasting a lady yells nice car from the sidewalk. under my breath i grumbled "yep it sure is a quiet one, isnt it".

i said thanks and continued coasting down the hill to where i would park and rip the electric fuel "booster" pump off the PO installed. redid the fuel line so it was just the stock pump got in fired it up and continued cruising....

i like driving cars that dont blend in as my daily is a well modified VW bug