Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radials vs Bias Plys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ab_51Ford, May 4, 2010.

1. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Daily Driver shoebox ford. Highway, in town, state to state, everything. I would like to run some fat ass 4" Super Cushions, but I heard radials would probably be the way to go because its a daily. But I just cant get over the REALLY Wide whites. Is there a huge difference in the ride quality? Do radials last longer? Would I be happier with radials? I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks fellas
    -Andrew

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a personal preference thing. You will get all kinds of opinions. What is nicer?

The radials are a more technologically advanced animal. Radials will last longer, in most cases (properly aligned). They should run cooler and with less rolling resistance, which could result in better mileage. They do have fewer "quirks", like chasing road grooves.

That said, I don't own a vehicle, old or new, 2 or 4 wheels, that has radials.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Its a trade off with old suspension. I have radials on my 48 Plymouth. They ride rough but steer strait. I have Bias ply's on my roadster and 48 ford the ride right for the old suspension but don't always track strait. It's up to you.

4. i chose to run what I thought would look best on my truck

at the time it felt like i was taking a chance based on some negative feedback regarding bias plys i read

my truck is my daily, and so far I couldn't be happier with how it drives. it does follow some of the ruts on a nearby on ramp a bit, but nothing shocking.

what has been shocking to me is how well it tracks and drives in the rain - even with my hurst slicks

i receive lots of positive comments on my truck and it's not because of the paint and interior. every time i approach it or see it out the front window, i'm glad i made the choice i did.

good luck

5. big creep

big creep

goodyear makes radials that can almost pass for bias plys on a full fender cars!!!!

6. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

It all depends............

If you normally spend a lot of time sitting on the sidewalk with your pants around your ankles beating off, looking at your car, and having orgasms about how it looks, get the white walls.

If you are a degenerate hot rodder, fast driver, and non repentant street racer, and nothing matters except how well it drives, and how fast it goes, get the radials.

7. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Personal preference-and opinion.
    Radial white walls are ok on a full fendered car that is to be driven alot.
    My stock Starliner will get radials and be near daily driven.
    My period correct full kustom will get bias.
    My open fendered hotrods where the tires profile is evident will get bias.

8. That pretty much puts it all in perspective.:eek:

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Jimv

Jimv

hands down radials!! Bias are old shitty technology! Be safe & happy & go with the radials.
    Would you still use a dial up phone or a B&W TV with no remote??lol
    Jimv

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  11. zzford

zzford

As I see it, it's time for a good compromise. Diamondback tires can set you up with wide white radials. Best of both worlds.

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

By that rational shouldn't we al drive a Prius:confused:

I run these radials from Hurst,look old,drive like new;

Good luck
    Paul

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  13. wvenfield

wvenfield

The only problems with driving WWW bias plys is the cost.

Blackwalls aren't cheap either.

14. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I bought this chevy with wide whites already on it, bias plys, silvertowns, and at less than 15,000 miles they are about wore out, I have the fast ratio t-bird rack and it wants to move around on the worn freeways so it makes it a driving chore all the time. Like you, I like the wide whites, so I'm trying the diamond backs in radials this time and I hope the car will not be such a chore to drive. The silvertown had 4 inches on the ground but the new ones will have 5 and a half inches on the ground.

15. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

If your gonna live in KUSTOM CITY, you better run bias, they just look right. I run them on everything and i drive cross country on them. I have 4 cars running bias, I drive one of my cars everyday, as I don't own anything new. tricky on a grooved hiway, yes. but makes you feel ALIVE !!!!!

16. This was posted about a week ago.
    Some good and not so good ino/opinions can be found here:

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468998

17. bobscogin

bobscogin

Ha!! Shitty old technology is what this forum is about. 6 volt systems, generators, side valve engines, 3 speed crash boxes, mechanical brakes, buggy springs --- and you want new technology?? :D

Bob

18. Ice man

Ice man

There was several 4 lane roads here in Sarasota, and the 29 Pk Up would get harie on some of the stretches, won't to change lanes and get real tuchie. I got a set of 600/16 radials and its like a different truck. Went on several of the problem streches several times to make sure, Its radials for me. Iceman

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I have had a couple shoeboxes here on the frost heaved, cracked minnesota roads with bias plys, and as long as your front suspension is in good condition and aligned right, you will have no problems. Although if your the type of guy who doesn't check the air in his tires much and has avoided general maintenence like king pins and such, you should just get some radials and live with the weird look.

unless you wanna buy a second set of rims and tires and only rock the bias plys for shows and cruise night...

20. Big Nick

Big Nick

I run bias plys on my panhead and on some of the worst roads in NY (BQE, Belt Parkway, Manhattan) and I dont have a problem, yeah sometimes they track funny in a rut or on some metal roadways like bridges and shit but other than that they are fine. I was told by a bunch of people that they wouldnt handle right and I would have problems. I have had that bike up over 100mph quite a few times with out a handling issue.

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Bias Ply= the best!!

You won't regret it!!

I'll NEVER run radials again on any of my old cars!!

22. mj40's

mj40's

23. Well said!!

24. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

i just bought coker classics 2 3/4' ww. i wouldn't have made a second guess to what i was getting. they're going to be on my porch when i get home today... radials are a thing for 60's cars and newer. radial skinny whites on a 60's kustom. totally fine.. on a 50's or earlier... gotta run bi ply if you want things to look right. i've gone all over with my old roommate. kustom car builder and full time roadtripper... he ONLY runs biply's and we've gone EVERWHERE... never a problem. period.
    xoxo

25. shainerman

shainerman

I drive my shoebox EVERYDAY, and I mean EVERYDAY. 70mph on the highway with the 3 speed and around town for an hour a day. I run Firestone bias plys and im a fucking man, haha. However, when my car catches ruts, its not fun. Get bias plys and dont regret anything.

26. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Be safe?

Another myth perpetuator...

Bias plys ARE safe.

27. This stupid topic should be stickied. Then maybe it won't need a new thread when a noob wonders about it.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've read all the replies here and it seems most prefer bias...but I'm wondering what "driven every day" means. Are you the type that goes to events within 50-100 miles of your home or the local cruise...??? Or are you the type that'll put 500-700 miles on your car, in one day, driving to an event and the same, or more, mileage back home...???

I run radials on all my cars and don't really care if you like them or not. It's a personal preference, and then again, when I go rod running, I'll do the 500 mile one day trip (or 13 1/2 hours from Denver to Joplin). The radials run cooler, I get great mileage and I can steer down the highway with one finger on the wheel and listen to the engine singing, or Elton John singing.

Bias plies are old school, if that's the look you are going for, and they are as good as old technology got...radials have been around since 1948 and are new technology...best for long distance driving, with ease. Don't take someone's opinion as gospel until you TRY both and see what you like.

R-

29. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I've used bias EVERYDAY on a DAILY DRIVER.

Radials are for sissys IMHO.

30. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Hey; Are you driving that truck yet? Enjoyed my visit down there. Hope I can do it again sometime.
    Steve