Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much of a Recessed Firewall Do I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by playtag, May 3, 2010.

1. playtag

playtag

I just brought home a 1930-31 two door sedan Model A and want to put a late model Flathead in it(49-53).I haven't even separeted the body from the frame yet.Just trying to gather parts here and there and was looking for a stock firewall till it hit me the dimensions will be longer for the flathead then the original 4 banger.Dah! Brian fart.Anyone have a setup as mentioned with the three speed tranny can give some insight as to the depth of firewall needed?Also anyone use a steel flooring kit for above setup and where to find one?

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The stock firewall will work just fine without any modifications.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

A v8 is 2 four cylinders side by side.... so not much difference there.

4. The bigger challenge is having enough room for your water pumps, fan, etc.. Make sure you know the complete setup (dimensions) before you start down the path. It has been done a million times before - just need to find out the correct assortment of parts to fit the chassis, radiator, etc..

Anybody have pictures of a Model A with a 39-48 flathead with water pumps, fan, etc? Anybody with a 49-53 in a Model A?

I'm sure some pictures will help him greatly . . . along with an explanation of which pumps, pulley, generator mounts, fan, timing cover, fan, etc..

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

Generally speaking, you can squeeze a flattie into an A without firewall mods if you use the "single belt" style water pump, fan and generator drive. Using the "two belt" system such as on the 8ba makes it a much bigger challenge.

Bob

6. doctorZ

doctorZ

you'll also want to use an earlier fuel pump stand so that the fuel pump is canted at an angle rather than pointed back. this will give you a little more space at the back of the engine.

7. It may not apply in your case,but the easiest way I know to recess a firewall is to buy a cheap metal wheelbarrow. Remove the frame and wheel. With narrow end of hopper pointed up,recess hopper into Firewall to whatever amount you need. Weld and trim. It makes a very professional looking installation with a little finishing. 'Hope this helps.

8. Me . . . I'd buy two. That way, when I blow the crank, rods and pistons out of the bottom at the track, I have something to collect my 'parts' in :eek: