Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Did i ruin my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, May 3, 2010.

1. Badbiscuit

Badbiscuit

doubt I would say that there is a lack of pride in it, but that's your opinion. I personally believe it looks like an early dirt track car. The poor door alignment and hood fit would not look at all out of place on a dirt track, in fact it's probably too straight to really be on the track. However for a work in progress I think it looks good. My opinion is that the yellow slappers stand out too much, and the rear end sits up too high. However it is cooler than any of my running cars. I actually like the idea of the scallops, the execution may not quite be there, but it's only rattle can and can be fixed whenever. The numbering on the side looks a little funky, but in order to persue the current theme he seems to be going with it is necessary to have a number on the car.

Overall the car looks good, keep the steelies. Cragars look good on a lot of things, just not that.

2. Geez, the kid is in High School, seems to me he's willing to learn so take the time & teach him something rather than trying to smack him down...

I think you're off to a decent start. What's your goal? Like some of the others have said, it looks like you've got a couple of different influences (cragars & slappers would fit in with a 60's street machine, but the overall 'look' of the car screams vintage dirt-tracker). That being said, I think you could pull off an early stock car look with it...although you'd have to lose the cragars, slappers, and the 'stink bug' stance for it to look the part.

I'll look through some of my old NASCAR yearbooks and see if I can scan a few pics of these early "Sportsman's" cars for you.

Either way, my hat's off to you...would have loved to drive something like that in High School!

3. where's your build thread? How about some pictures of a car you built when you were 18? I'd love to see it and tear it apart.

4. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I say ditch the chromes but I think your on a roll!

5. jadam54

jadam54
    from DENVER

Like it better with the black steels

6. Ruin it? Not at all. It's just wheels and spray paint. If you don't like it, change it around again, no biggie.
    Ruining it would be messed up body work or putting it on an S-10 chassis.

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

No pride?

Cobbled together?

Amature?

Really man? Have you even looked at my build thread? I did the best i could with the best i had. Sorry it doesnt meet your boyde cotterpin level of excelence. I think i did pretty well for a 69 year old unibody car

Remember, i started with this.

[​IMG]

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I agree with hotroddon.

9. Do a search on:
    Stance
    Scallops
    Wheel & tire combos

I see you've posted here a bunch, so you know the Old HAMB would have roasted you.

Did you ruin your car? I don't know. That paint treatment doesn't show it much respect. Does a car built right after America got home from saving the world deserve respect? I don't think Nashes were famous as circle track cars. Are you trying to make a joke on the car? You should, at least, contact the Nash owners club and offer any hard to find parts to them.

What you really should do is sell that to someone who wants a Nash and buy a Pinto or Taurus to paint flat black and rattle can scallops and a number on. The number of fixable '40s coupes isn't getting larger, you know?

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

And you people wonder why young kids arent into old cars. Im ashamed to be wearing my H.A.M.B shirt right now.

11. Oooops, I'm I shouldn't have posted that last paragraph. Sometimes my sarcastic side gets the best of me.

12. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

Hey man, fuck all these keyboard warriors who want to tell you that you don't take pride in your car, or you should sell it to buy a taurus or something. It's your car. And you're doing it right for being a young fella. Keep on the path your going on, it's done you right so far. And kudos for driving your rig. Too many people on here are losing sight of the fact a car is for function first.

You dildos should be ashamed of yourselves. You want to put a bad taste in an impressionable young persons mouth about the hot rod community, you're on the right track.

PS, I like it better with the steelies on it.

13. Brittany Ghoul

Brittany Ghoul
    from enumclaw

Why orange? That makes the Spinach monster the Broccoli and carrots monster. I don't like the orange. I like it way better with the stance it already has too. It just wouldn't be the same if it was lowered. Maybe loose the 28, but it's unique, so I can dig it still. It looks funny with white walls on the front and back I think. I like it with white walls just on the back and a slightly smaller tire on front. At least, that was my favorite look it's gone through thus far.

And can i just say how much it bugs me how closed minded some people can be about the way someone wants to build their car? Sure, the number of fixable 40's coupes isn't getting bigger, but the fact that it's on the road at all is way damn better than if it was still rotting away becoming less and less fixable by the minute. An old car that isn't necessarily what you would have done with it seems a lot better to me than just leaving it in the fields to rot. And I've heard a few people say that would be better than where it is now, and I find that pretty sickening, personally.

Anyway. Just my opinion.

14. "And you people wonder why young kids arent into old cars. Im ashamed to be wearing my H.A.M.B shirt right now."

It's not your age. It's the car. It could be very cool. The HAMB is the best resource on the 'net for finding pics of traditionally built cars. Pro1street's photochop has, stance and a good wheel and tire combo.

Don't try to tell me that young guys don't "get it" either. Zach Suhr builds perfect stuff. He's not the the only one, by far. IMO, rod and custom tradition is in pretty good hands. The HAMB isn't T-ball. Don't expect a high five for striking out.

15. RichG

RichG

Put the steelies back on and drive it. Your car looks just fine, even more so considering what you started with... too many folks forget what their first ride was like, except maybe for those blessed with a golden spoon up their ass who never had to make something from nothing.

16. Maybe someone would be willing to 'shop your first pic with red rims and white/off-white rims.

I'm not a scallops guy, but I like how you did them, has a retro low-buck vibe to them.

I really like your car to be honest, how is it to have a dirt-track looking car that you can drive everywhere and not worry about parking lot dings.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll vote for steelies too. Cragars aren't bad, but this is the wrong time and place.

As for the rest of the car, I think you've done a good job. Considering what you started with, just the fact that it is drivable is something that should be commended. We all have to start somewhere, and as a friend once told me, "unless you bend the trim or break the glass, there is nothing you've fucked up that can't be repaired." If you want to change the paint, it comes off. You can always go back and redo things as your skills improve. I look back to when I was 18. I was thrilled to just swap out a rear end and change a clutch. Looks like you're ahead of the learning curve. Keep it up and ENJOY it.

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was born with a Chrome spoon up my ass, but it's pitted from old age.:D

19. Electrodude has a point. My first cars were pretty sad too. The older guys gave me a ration of shit and I resented it, just like Dynaflash_8. When I was young, if you wanted to learn from the older hot rodders you couldn't be a crybaby. So, I did the dirty jobs, got screwed with and got to learn how to weld better, sync multiple carbs and the other arcane secrets of the late night sessions at Mel's Super Service.

Oh, and I think the rich keep their spoons in the asses of other people.

20. wood470

wood470

Looks like fun to me. You can always paint it again when yaget tired of it.

21. oj

oj

Nope, didn't ruin it - you still got a ways to go.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The cragars don't fit at all. And why do you have big tires in the front and small tires in the rear with a forward rake? THAT looks dumb.

Keep the steelies. If you want to dress them up, paint them gloss black. That will help alot I think. It will give the wheel some separation from the tire.

I think the photoshop is a huge improvement when you get the itch to change it up.

23. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Hahahahaha :DWTF happend to his innocent question.?.?:eek: Tough crowd

24. the scallops ruin it.

25. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Love the steelies...looks like a retired moonshiner's car gone racing.

Apparently some of you fuckers haven't seen the cars Marty has drug home and fixed and DRIVEN.....REGULARLY! At 19? his shit looks pretty damn good, done by him, on his budget, with what ever he has bought, borrowed, swapped or stolen. Wanna talk traditional??? Really?

26. "Wanna talk traditional??? Really?"

Sure, what do have to say? We like traditional on the HAMB.

27. I like the black wheels better... just my 2 cents...:D

28. knotheads

knotheads

i like the look of this one the best so far.

29. Now that looks cool!:cool:

30. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yep, but easy to fix.