Register now to get rid of these ads!

Uncle Daniels Car Factory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sanders, May 1, 2010.

1. Sanders

Sanders

A friend of mine, Gene Resse asked me to post these pictures to see if anyone could idenify it.

Attached Files:

rfraze and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Thats "Uncle Daniel" on the far left....He is a lurker here on the HAMB....Maybe I can convince him to chime in and identify all the other guys in the photo....Brings back memories,,for those not familiar,,Uncle Daniels was one of the first full blown rod building facility in Dallas...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the guy with the hook, he worked at Sachse Rod Shop for a long time after the Uncle Daniel days.

Deuce would probably know all the names if he sees this. I recognize the guy on the far right also but can't remember his name either.

kidcampbell71 and rfraze like this.
  4. Dirty2

Dirty2

Talk about a 32 candy store ! Those were the days ...

5. Man I loved that place, my dads business was right around the corner from there and I would stop by as often as I could. It was off Royal Ln just west of 35. Cool place indeed.

6. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

rfraze likes this.
  7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Thanks Don, that was driving me nuts.

8. Just as an aside:I believe the term,"Uncle Daniel" was a term coined by Tom Medley(of Stroker McGurk fame)as a name for a Model A closed cab pickup.Remember reading that somewhere.It then evolved into a generic name for Model A Fords.Anyone recall that?

ironrodder likes this.
  9. Very possible.....However,This company was called that
    for the owner,,,,Dan Evans,,,,everyone around Dallas called him "Uncle Daniel"...still do....

10. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I always thought an "Uncle Daniel" was any old car that your uncle, or any other family member, had owned through the years and either gave it to you or you inherited it.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  11. 150J/F

150J/F

Really cool to see these pics. I worked there in the early days of the shop. The guy on the right end was named Arlen. He was a hell of a painter. Can't recall his last name. Jim Smith also worked there. Jim and his son Jason now operate the very
    successful "Hot Rod Garage" in Sand Springs, OK. I stay in touch with Dan. Still
    a super nice guy. He helps Don Ross with the Scorpion cars when he can. MB

12. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Arlen, that is it. Good recall dude.

Yeah, he was a killer painter. He did some cool kustoms in the DFW area long after the shop closed and was around a bunch in the late 90's but I have not seen him around in years.

13. Sanders

Sanders

I haven’t seen Arlen in about a year, he used to stop by the shop from time to time. He no longer can paint because the isocyantes in urethane paints react with his body.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  14. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

I eat lunch with Arlen Faulk about twice a week. He lives out east of Dallas in Black Land TX. near dirty32s alternater shop.
    dwrfab Don Ross

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Uncle Daniel used to refer to a car always meant model A to me. Can't remember why. Never knew Jim Smith worked at Uncle Daniels in Dallas, but I remember the shop.

16. BELLM

BELLM

I met Uncle Daniel @ Thirsty Thursday before Roundup last month. Really cool guy, wish I had met him years ago, very obvious that he is the real deal!.

17. Frank

Frank

Since several of you local guys are in one thread, I wonder if any of you remember a couple of people.

James Curtis? I believe he was a local hot rodder. I purchased a 28/29 Ford truck cab years ago from him. It was a closed cab and the roof was cut off and doors welded shut. Looks like it was maroon at one time. I wish I knew the history of it. I figure its a slim chance, but thought I'd ask. Maybe it was some type of roadster pickup or T-bucket like configuration, prob 70's.

Another is Albert Collier. Hadn't talked to him in years but I think he used to work at Dallas Metal Fab. Had a blown 55 Chevy that was dark blue with red and silver metal flake. Used to show it at the Autorama in the 70's.

18. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Another is Albert Collier. Hadn't talked to him in years but I think he used to work at Dallas Metal Fab. Had a blown 55 Chevy that was dark blue with red and silver metal flake. Used to show it at the Autorama in the 70's.[/QUOTE]

Albert is still at DMF I see him when I go down to visit my Brother and nephue. I think he still has the car but no interest in working on it. He collecets model cars and limited edition models.
    dwrfab Don Ross

19. Isn't the second guy from the right Rick Woston? Arlen built one of the wildest 49-52 fleetline Chevys I ever saw. Wonder if there is any pictures of that around.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Uncle Dan Is my fathers nieghbor, I grew up next door to him. Real nice guy, and last time I was over there he was building a replica of an old hot rod he had as a young man. He also shared some cool pics of some FEDs they use to run back in the day. I bet you he could chime in on the "History of Dallas" thread.

21. Come on Dan,Chime in here,,,Tell us the names on the photos!!!
    Or mail them to me and I will post for you.....

22. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

If you are out there lurking....:D... Uncle Dan, thank you for spending the day and sharing in great memories. Ron

23. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Back to the original post.......where is Gene Reese now, and what is he doing?

24. Back up for "Uncle Daniel"

25. Frank

Frank

Albert is still at DMF I see him when I go down to visit my Brother and nephue. I think he still has the car but no interest in working on it. He collecets model cars and limited edition models.
    dwrfab Don Ross[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's also got a 55 Sedan Delivery too. I rode in it once, but never could get him to really drive it. He does nice work. Last I heard, he lives in Palmer now. Yeah, he has a huge collection of die-cast I remember. He was who first took me to Pate 18 years ago. Hadn't missed it since. Probably most responsible for me bitten by "the bug".

26. Just got a message from Uncle Daniel...
    Left to right in photo
    Dan
    Ronnie Muddleton...retired in W.Tex
    Arlin Fulks son
    Gene Reese
    Rick Westen...works At Sachse rod Shop
    Arlin Fulks..lives E.Dallas

Photo taken by Charlie Casey....Collins Dad
    36 Chev PU in photo,,,Gene Reece truck

Thanks Danny"Uncle Daniel"Evans

27. Rusty

Rusty

Gene is still around, lives out in Cedar Creek, still building stuff. Working on a little modified now and helping out at RamRods in terrell

28. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Yes the third guy from the right is Gene Reese, my big brother! With out a dought the best fabricator the street rod or dirt track world has ever known!

(yea I suffer from little brother biased and still trying to get over the "FNG" LOL!!)

Really, he's forgotten more than most can remember! He's real proud you guys knew Collin Casey, Collin worked for Gene at his shop "GENE REESE CHASSIS", not to far from Uncle Daniels shop!

Attached Files:

29. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I should have recognized Gene.

He did allot of work for my dad and his buddies over the years. He did the chassis for my dads 35 Chevy Master among other things.

30. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Rick Wostyn has his own shop now.