Register now to get rid of these ads!

Into Art Deco Design/Automobiles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Apr 25, 2010.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Are ya into Art Deco designed automobiles, furniture & doo- dads?

If so, sheck oud " The Mullin Automotive Museum - Peter Mullin's ' French Curves' Collection in Oxnard California.

The museum ,which is housed in the same building as the former "Otis Chandler Automotive Museum" is set to open in 2010, check web site for exact details, [email protected]

The collection is slated to include Bugatti, Delages, Delahayes, Hispano Suizas, Talbot-Lago, Voisins & probably some other cool frog tin from the "Deco'' era.

" Do Not Reach Greedily For The Kool-Aid "

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

B.T.T.T.

You checkie out, no?

" Your head would look on a pike "

3. radio_king

radio_king

4. Pretty amazing collection. Nice to see a guy with really deep pockets spendign it on great automobiles. I noticed that Hot Rodder Bruce Meyer is on the museum foundation board.

5. DrJ

DrJ

Is this still the open one day a year schedule or are they going to be open more now?
    I was already confused by the site info...

6. desertdroog

desertdroog

Is that the same collection that came through Phoenix a few years ago? Curves of Steel?

If so, GO! It is so worth it!

Here is what we saw...and it even included some Non-Deco yet kick ass cars as well like the So-Cal belly tanker:
    http://www.phxart.org/exhibition/exhibitioncurves.php

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey John,

The deal, as I understand it, is that most of these museums are an edifice of a 501 C3 corporation i.e. a tax exempt/private-nonprofit oraginization. I don't know if there is an exact number of hours per year they must be open, but they have to show that they are serving the public on some level.

I've seen Mullins' car at shows all over the country, and the owners of other "Art Deco" styled big money iron all seem to travel in the same circles so it's possible he'll have vehicles other than his own housed at the museum. These vehicles were all hand built, and like kustoms of the 40's -60's were usually " one offs " or built in handfuls with mild differences between each, but seldom in production runs that totaled over three digits.

'should be pretty cool if you're into streamlined/teardrop design & the "Deco" era.

" Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum "

8. DrJ

DrJ

Thanks,
    We drove our '40 GMC out to the Chandler Museum a few years ago when it was open.
    I really enjoyed it then.
    It was fun coming home in the truck on HWY 1 and taking Mulholland HWY back through the ills to the 405 too!