Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods May Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, May 1, 2010.

1. So the day has arrived that I get to put my car to the test at Dragfest tomorrow fellas. Put a lap belt in last night and hooked up some other odds and ends I been neglecting to make my car more legit for the strip. Its late so I just thought hell I will start the month off as everyone sleeps and I crash out after getting off the HAMB. I will keep ya'll updated as well as I can (Busy Weekend).-Weeks

chambies likes this.
  2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Play safe Weeks...May all your rods stay in your pan
    later Bill

key word banger

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, May already. I'm still interested in learning more about Dodge bangers if anyone has more to share.

-Dave

4. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

here are some pics of last weekends pancake breakfast.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Who's bringin' a banger to Billetproof Detroit? I'll have the ol'roadster.

6. Bodger45

Bodger45

I fired up my motor for the first time yesterday! It fired right up once I got gas to the carb. I got the motor about 9 years ago back when Vintage Ford in Stanton had swap meets in the parking lot. It’s a stock model ‘A’. All I’ve done is had the flywheel lightened, a Mallory dist., 97 carb, and a header. I want to drive it like this for a while. That way when I spend a fortune on speed equipment I’ll feel what I’m getting for my money. Test drive next week! Take care, TK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6zVrf3exrY

Scott F. likes this.
  7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I just got back from the Pasadena Roadsters reliability run.

Wow, what a great day !!!!!!!!!! Full of sunshine and bitchin cars.
    I was busy driving, so I didn't take any pictures. If you search the HAMB, You will see what I'm talking about.

Oh, and I got to put another 165 miles on the car today !!!!!!

Good luck Weeks !!!!! I'll bet you get addicted.

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is the banger link list .

For the HAMB banger newbies, here are some links to a lot of banger info:

Flat Ernie maintains the monthly link list. Every month is listed:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=161498

Banger basics. another info link list:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=251717

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=42480

Post #105 of link below shows flywheel lightening dimensions
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470853&page=6

Elrod's stuck head tech:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218487

Gear ratio / speed and RPM calculator:

http://www.accuautoparts.com/calculatorfin.jsp

Model A master cylinder mounting bracket ideas:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...73#post4953173

Chevy Banger Stuff

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=463465

Go here to read the 1931 edition of Harry Ricardo's book "The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22469332/The-High-Speed-Internal-Combustion-Engine-Ricardo-1931

Post 198 starts a great discussion of the shape of a flat head combustion chamber

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470853&page=10

Maybe these links should be posted early in each months meeting.

If anyone knows of more, please post them.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

good to see ya out to play Bluto...

ejgloss likes this.
  10. I had issues with my 97 during my first pass but cut a better reaction time then Model A Dave. My Second pass was a bit better and again I had better times to the 1/8th mile then Dave but my stocker just can't keep up lol. He has a pretty stout runner of a motor Snyders high comp head, dual 97s and mallory dual point distributor. Alas we put on a good show for the fans though. Lots of smiles cheers and thumbs ups, I worked on my 97 tonight and hopefully I will be able to test it enough on the trip back out to Famoso tomorrow.

I put about 60 or so miles on my car today Dan lol. Wish I had a FiFe speed like you. My et was terrible and you guys don't want to know lol. Hopefully I can either keep it close tomorrow or run faster at least. Off to sleep banger brethren. My mantra for my engine is, "All bark no bite." G'nite fellas.-Weeks

11. Spooky

Spooky

Banger?
    I barely knew her...

12. noboD

noboD

Nice pics 29Bones, you just show the important parts.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I've been too ill to play. Sorry Warm temps and So Cal sun helping

Plus I'm on a borrowed computer here. So I don't have my normal 24/7 access

Only progress I have had on the 5 main is to finally realize that those before me did some machining far beyond reason and the thing is now a floor lamp. It's bored too large The main saddles are too big. So I'm out looking at other options for the HAL stuff. Worst case it goes into a B block. Which isn't a bad option but not the strongest either. I want to build an engine Mrs B can use long after I am gone.

14. Sounds Great! What a bitchin' little truck!

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yes, very cool. What's that body? Homebuilt?

-Dave

16. BigIrish

BigIrish

I have a few rookie Model A trans swap questions. Would love to swap to a synchronized trans while my speedster is apart for painting:

- Can I use any 32-39 v-8 trans with an adapter kit? They are all synchronized right?
    - Who makes these kits? There's a guy in AZ (Cling's) that makes them but I'm sure others do too
    - Anything else I would need to modify assuming I have a good trans and a kit?

Also if anyone has any of these parts for sale let me know!

This is my first banger so plse excuse the elementary questions! :confused:

Thanks

17. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I remember that '39 is the only synchronized one and then only 2nd and 3rd.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I thought I just read on the Van Pelt site that the '32-'38 trans is also 2nd and 3rd synchro (no 1st gear synchro until '64 or so), but that the '39 box had dramatically improved synchros, which was why it was the early hot rodder's preferred box.

The Bishop-Tardel book indicates that a '37 or '38 trans will happily accomodate a '39 to '48 gearset, to effectively become a '39 trans. Likewise, the '39 to '50 pickup 3-speed uses a case that is effectively a '39, although it requires the addition of a passenger-car gearset to interface with a torque tube.

-Dave

19. 88daryl88

88daryl88

I have had this idea to convert my Model A gearbox from sliding gear to a dog box. Second gear will rotate freely on the main shaft, constantly engaged with the cluster gear. A slding dog will then be used to swap between top gear (as is now) and the new constant mesh 2nd. Result : Quick, easy, even clutchless, up/down changes between 2nd & 3rd.
    There is not a lot of room and a new shaped selector arm will be needed, but it looks feasable. Am I re-inventing the wheel? Has this mod been done before? Info, tips, hints, suggestions welcome.

20. Bodger45

Bodger45

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus1
    Sounds Great! What a bitchin' little truck!

Thanks guys, The cowl and doors are from a car my uncle built in the 50's, he found the body in the desert. It was a '23 Checker 4 door tub. He gave it to me before he past away. I thought it would be neat to use. It was really rough though, bullet holes, dents, and rust. I had to scrap most of it. Anyway I posted a slideshow of the build a while back if your interested. TK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAQONKGWS-g

21. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Bigcheese327 has the gearbox stuff right, '32-38 is synchro on 2nd & 3rd but single detent tower and a different synchronizer setup. Still good stuff. '32-35 I think has straight cut gears for 1st & reverse. A '39 style tranny has the double detent shift tower (81A casting & 91A 3" fork) as well as the replaceable brass synchro rings.

Clings manufactures the kit and it is very good. You will have to drill a hole in the bottom of your transmission to mount the wishbone ball mount bracket. You will also have to relocate the hand brake lever, and a new mount for this comes with the kit. There is also a bracket that locates the pedals.

The kit also comes with a clutch shaft with the proper clutch arm and correct orientation for the Model A pedals.

Finally, you will need a U-joint housing (clamshell) for V8 - 4 bolts instead of 6 (I think) on Model A. And you may have to trim the V8 rear bearing retainer depending on which mount you have and what you are doing for brakes.

Hope this helps, it was a very nice addition to my Model A.

Will Kimble

22. Hey guys- just saw this on the MTFCA forum... looks like the first batch are ready for CNC'ing!!!

[​IMG]

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Details please!:)

24. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Originally Posted by 30 A coupe [​IMG]
    Hi guys, need some help.
    My A banger at the moment has a B cam 5.5 hi-comp head and I'm running one 97 Stromberg. I have .65 power jet and .45 main jets. But the plugs are black. I can't get it better with the idle screws. What am I doing wrong???:(

Eddy

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by andyg [​IMG]
    Did you run highway speed for 20 minutes and shut it off before idling before you checked the plugs?

Idle jets are low rpm mixture. main jets are mid-upper rpm mixture. Two totally different circuits in the carb. Does is load up or puff black smoke at idle? It could be one or the other or a combination of both. But know that idle jets and main jets are 2 different circuits for two different rpms! Be glad to help you if you can give us more info!

Also your plugs could be on the cold side. What plugs and what kind of driving do you do.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Thanks, here is the whole story:
    I ran that set-up on two engines and the plugs were always a good tan color. But I never could start without choke even when the engine was warm. This never really bothered me but al the four bangers I saw starting never use choke.
    Last week I felt a lot of hesitation in the throttle when I was driving along.
    I took the jets out and one of them was blocked with some crap. So I decided to take the carb apart. I cleaned everything, the power valve jet wasn't that clean. I did not replace that because the one that was in the carb was 0.065 and the one in the rebuild set was much smaller but there was no value on it so I don't know what size it is. Put everything together (I did replace the accelerator pump last year). Turned the idle screws to 1 1/4 turn and pushed the starter. It fired straight up, it never ran this good.:)
    Then I took it for a spin but where I live ther so much traffic, a lot of traffic lights so it's always stop and go, not really a long drive under power. I took the plugs out and they were really black, the first plug is also a little wet (thats with the 0.45 jets)
    I don't have puffs of black smoke when it idles and it does not load up. I changed the jets today to 0.43, the plugs I use are Motorcrafts TT10.
    On Saturday I took it for a longer drive, about 110 miles.
    It starts perfect, idles perfect but the plugs are still black and I have a fuel consumption of just 13 miles the gallon:eek::eek::eek:
    Help:(:(

Thanks,

Eddy :)
    <!-- / message -->

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Eddy,
    Have you checked the float level? If it is too high it might be causing your problem.

Fuel pressure? Are you running a fuel pump? If so, what kind of regulator are you using?

26. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Float level is OK. I'm runnig a fuel pump with a regulator set at 2.5 psi, I tried 2 and it's the same. The regulator is one of the cheap round ones witch you can adjust in 0.5 settings. But I do run a gauge and that shows a correct pressure!
    Couls it be the power jet?

27. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Hoi Crazydadyo,
    I've been wanting to ask you before, the engine in your hand in your avitar is that with photoshop or is it really a model of a four banger??? If it is, where did you get it? Can you buy them or is it a kit? :)

Thanks,

Eddy

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

x2:d

29. Bob, search for "Rajo Progress 2" (May 1st, 12:41PM) on the 2010 MTFCA forum- Mark Chaffin has been busy making new heads and parts!

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

I can see it. Very cool.

-Dave