Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ehdubya

ehdubya

Keith, I posted a better copy of that one and a couple more of that meet earlier as Benning, it's a library of congress image and the aforementioned third track captioned as there.

Bob, thanks for the OhiO 999 pic. I found a 1907 Renault team shot...

-Andy

Attached Files:

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A nice pair of early French GP postcards.

Attached Files:

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Andy,

Thanks, this thread changes so quick i can't keep up and constantly miss posts !

Keith

4. ehdubya

ehdubya

Frank Kurtis' first or second car depending on the source...

Attached Files:

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Great photo ehdubta ! I have period postcards of all three cars plus another with wire wheels. All race cars at that time carried a letter prefix, firsrt letter of the manufacturers name, it helped ID the cars.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if Mr. Worthington is in one of those Model T Fords? Back in the late 1970's Mr. Worthington would show his restored RAJO powered T that he raced in Washington, D.C. the track is under the Pentagon today. I always thought it was neat that he had kept his old race car, restored it and won an AACA National First prize with it. Back in the day he walked into the local RAJO dealers shop, to fine him dead from a gunshot. The local police were the next to walk in and he was hauled in as a suspect in the case. Once things were cleared up, and the dealer was found to have dispatched himself Mr. Worthington was sent on his way. He still wanted a RAJO head, so he wrote a letter to the factory and explained what had happened to the RAJO dealer in DC. Within a week or so a RAJO head arrived, along with all the paperwork to take over the Washington DC RAJO sales. [​IMG]

9. ehdubya

ehdubya

David I'm pretty sure the Burman in the Cutting pictures in post #3180 are all Laurel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is Benning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldfield Benning 1905 from another source...

[​IMG]

and the third mystery track...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Speaking of Indy...which I did already.....should someone be coming to Indy for Carb day to see the vintage racers....I will be in that area most of the day then headed to the Hoosier Hundred. Anyone wanting to say "hello" or "get the heck away from me"......Please contact me direct.
    HG :cool:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

INDY is on my "Bucket List", but I should have done it 40 years ago. Trivia question, who was the last guy to qualify for the INDY 500 with a carburated car, year, and car?:confused::rolleyes:

12. noboD

noboD

Indy is magic. If the start of the race doesn't get your heart pounding you must be dead!

13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

14. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

I don't mean to detract from Indy fever, which is sure understandable with May just hours away, but thought this would be worth sharing as we have several followers who enjoy hill climbs. This photo is hardly a hair raiser, but I hope it brings a few smiles as it did for me. 1907 Kenwood hill climb in or near Minneapolis. No photo distortion on account of speed here!

Attached Files:

15. ehdubya

ehdubya

16. Jim Scammell

Jim Scammell

Great story T37K.
    So, is this 'Fairground Racing'? Look at all the cars wearing headlamps on the track and not a piece of 100mph racing tape to be seen on the lenses. These cars were obviously driven on the public road, and therefore to and from the track, hence the headlamps and registration numbers.

What make and approx year model are these cars racing against the T Ford #12?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Jim, they all look like Model T Fords, some have aftermarket radiators and speedster bodies.

18. ehdubya

ehdubya

I give up :confused: looking at Juan Gaudinos' pretty little Chrysler makes me wonder what the last flathead to qualify was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juan Gaudino and the Fuerza Libre

[​IMG]

19. Jim Scammell

Jim Scammell

AH . . . yes, I should get out of bed earlier in the morning. Sometimes you just can't see for looking. Model Ts they are for sure. Thanks. - Jim

20. Jim Scammell

Jim Scammell

What production car is this special based on, if any? - Jim

21. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Shelsley Walsh today...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back tommorrow for more .......

Keith

22. More to ogle.... HG :cool:

[​IMG]

23. Russel Snowberger was mentioned recently. Here he is in 1936.

[​IMG]

24. Trivia question, who was the last guy to qualify for the INDY 500 with a carburated car, year, and car?:confused::rolleyes:...........

My best shot....Jimmy Daywalt in the Helse in 1957?

25. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Two interesting but poor quality photos turned up today that I do not recall ever seeing. Both are postcards that I believe might be from a road race, possibly Elgin.

The first shows Barney Oldfield in a Mercer with his mechanic whose name is "Mercer" Vandervellen. In the background are two other Mercers along with the camp tent.

The second photo is of a Cino which was made in Cincinnati 1910-13, it was also a very successful racer which won 32 prizes in 44 starts. Note the truck in the background with the Cino Camp banner on the side.

Based on this and the fact that the two photos are together I am guessing they were in the same race and hope that one of you with race results can figure it out for us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Another important but poor quality photo also showed up recently. It shows the famous Simplex Zip at Indy. I believe that this may have been from the first year 1910 which was pre 500 mile length, which started in 1911.

The Zip was a sprinter for short races and more standard "Speedcars" as Simplex called them were run in later events.

July 2, 1910 George Robinson won a race called the Handicap, which was a 10 laps which would suit the Zip as I had a very small gas tank. (6th race held this date)

Attached Files:

27. Jim Scammell

Jim Scammell

Excellent, and with it comes your summer.