Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compliments.....what happens when you drive your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 30, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I'm new to driving a classic car as an adult. My mom drove me around in our 1960 Corvair when I was a kid, but I hated it. Now that I drive my son around in it, I love the attention and so does he.

I get thumbs up, honks, stared at durring the stop lights, people drooling at gas stations...strangers tell me stories about when they were kids. It's like seeing my car brings up all of these old memories for them. It's pretty cool. :cool: I guess if you have drove a classic for a long time it's not that big of a deal, but it is definitely new attention my family is not used to, but we like it.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I drive my 61 Dodge around the reaction I get is usually laughter. had one guy yell out the window "what the hell kind of car is that?" that one sticks in my mind. people usually want to know what year it is, the ones that guess usually guess wrong.. they think it is older.

3. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I'm running open headers and the cops even wave as I pass them...got stopped once just because he wanted to know the year. Seems like everyone you pass has their phone out to take a picture...people will risk driving off the road just to get a picture.

4. Sometimes when I'm really lucky chics will flash their BOOBS at us !!! >>>>.

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I get laughed at as well, I'm a big guy.....wedged into a Corvair. It is funny.

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

That would be sweet! :D

My car isn't nice enough for them to give me a treat like that. :eek:

7. Makes me want to get my truck done sooner!!!:cool::cool:

8. Being a Biscayne sedan, I get lots of "I remember when my (insert family member here" had that....". The brothers and Latino crowds dig it because it's a '63 and low. White guys dig it 'cause it's low and has a 6 with split exhaust. Some folks just smile when they see my two kids in the back. We always have fun in it, regardless of where we're going or what we're doing...and that's the important part.

9. electron

electron

When I drive my 53 MG I always get "nice car, is it a real one?. I hate that question, does my car really look like a shitty VW with a fiberglass body? I'd settle for the boob treatment though! Ha Ha

Attached Files:

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I usually get the thumbs up from bums and homeless folks. I had a lady in the car next to me look at me with disgust. Had some guy passing me yell "looser!" and i always get hondas and ricers trying to match race me.

People around here just dont get it.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Come on Bruce...I saw who flashed you. Some "boob flashes" just don't count...

[​IMG]

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

I had a mint '54 Pontiac sedan in the mid 1980s and I found out that pretty much every mom I knew had lost her virginity in a '49-54 Chevy. (They'd all say "Oh, is that a Chevy? I had a boyfriend who had a car just like that..." and then they'd get a glassy look in their eyes.

13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Thats awesome

14. mj40's

mj40's

If you really want to attract attention, glue a heavy duty magnet to the bottom of an old coffee cup and set that on your roof of your hot rod. Sorry roadster guys! Daily driver, nobody gives a shit but on a hot rod they will be trying to wave you down to tell you how much of a dub ass you are!

15. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

the only thing i hate is when someone tries to ask "what kind of car is that" when your driving 70 mph on the freeway...and when they dont let you over into the next lane cuz they're lookin at the car...i guess its a compliment but kinda annoying..

16. Vorhese

Vorhese

I have a raccoon tail on my antenna. One day this ratty camaro with a white trash dude drivin it comes flyin up beside me frantically honking and waving. And then starts waving a raccoon tail at me and pointing at mine. At that moment, we were brethren. Bonded by a dead animal's severed, fluffy tail.

Kids love my car. Old black men love my car.

17. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I usually get "what is that?" with the brookwood,
    one lady said "oh look it looks like a ford flex" GAHHH! I just walked away

I usually get thumbs up when I'm driving it. I got to admit, I dig it when people like the car.

18. Big Nick

Big Nick

I got a lot of thumbs up from young kids, they really seem to like the truck, I get a lot of "what year is that", never anything negative. I had one lady ask if she can take a picture of it cause she learned to drive in a 48 yellow chevy truck and actually a guy today pulled up next to me in his brand new Jag and asked what year it was, then told me he has a 59 Chevy at home and he was in fact turning around to take it out cause as he put it, he just doesnt drive it enough, I thought that was pretty cool.

19. narlee

narlee

Always flattering when someone appreciates your car.

20. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

I've had people get into my lane while looking at me driving by. They will push you off the road if your not paying attention. I guess if your looking left your going to steer to the left? Dumb.

21. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

my wife and i have both been driving our oldie cars daily for years and thats the very same stuff we get...you never really get tired of it unless you've got somewhere to be and someone is holding you up!! :D

22. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

oh dear!!!!!
    that's incredibly funny!

i get guys in huge pickem up trucks diggin on me when i'm driving either one of my rides... old trucks are the hotrods and kustoms of wyoming i guess... lol...

i got pulled over in my 54 the other night. he didn't give me a ticket for no turn signal or "lane use" as i was dodging potholes to avoid framebang.. lol.
    that's good i guess.. after he issued me a warning, he wanted to sit and BS with me for like a half hour.
    when i got pulled over in my 64 p.u. i got the same treatment...
    sure is funny sometimes to watch people look at ya rollin' something unique and old.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Even though it is nothing but a beat up old truck, usually nothing but smiles and thumbs up. And far more women than men, although never any boob flashing yet. And yes, that is here in the SF Bay area full of the hardcore greenies. Never once had anyone say anything negative about it. But now I have it running on propane, people ask me about that all the time too and are very curious about it. Part of that might be it being a Studebaker and a lot of people have never even seen a Studebaker or knew they made trucks. A lot of smiles and waving mostly. I enjoy it and reminds me to be nice to other people too.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I normally get the "are you ok??" but that's because I look like I'm getting raped while driving old cars hahaha!!!

I love talking to people when they come up. It's nice to meet new people that appreciate old cars.

25. Big Nick

Big Nick

26. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My wife's daily is a '61 Corvair wagon, and it's a sharp looking little car. She CONSTANTLY gets people talking to her everywhere she goes... sometimes nice, sometimes loons, and every once in a while she gets freaked out because some guy is sitting in his van in the parking lot waiting for her to walk up to the car so he can talk to her about it!

My daily is a beat-looking '62 Suburban... it's a work in progress, but I don't expect most people to know that. Every day I drive it, I get thumbs-up, someone talks to me about it, says it's a cool truck, etc. etc. etc.

It's cool, unless you're in a hurry to be somewhere. I HATE acting rude, because people want to talk to you about your old car.

-Brad

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

28. %%%% Wow Doug at least you have the CLEAN SHAVE PICTURE !!! >>>>.

29. Big Nick

Big Nick

30. NVScouter

NVScouter

When I drove my 53 Bel Air from Colfax to Reno I had all of the above minus the boobs. The outside looks pretty decent but the inside is basicly stripped and I still had to kick people off of it at rest stops. Like 4 times I had cars get really close to take a look. At 70mph on a winding road in the rain that was not cool.

I was rather amazed to be honest. I don't know what to expect when it looks good.

The previous owner Brandon warned me and he was right.