Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has a secret "fund" ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

just curious to see if anyone else has a secret (from their wife) stash of cash somewhere for their next "must have" project...

recently i have found myself in a position where if i were to spend any real money on a toy, my wife would probably cut my balls off. we opened a new business, which is doing very well actually-but we're in that "not just yet" mode when it comes to spending money. (well, she is.. haha.)SO, i started a "coupe fund"

i've really been wanting another 30/31 coupe, and it's almost all i think about.

so, i started doing things like selling parts on craigslist, returning beer cans, turning in my loose change, things like this- to contribute to my "fund", which basically consists of an ammo can full of random bills and change..locked away in my gun safe. i also work a happy hour shift once a week in my bar and put away most of the tips.

it's amazing how quickly a lot of little things will add up. i've been dedicating myself to finding and putting away "spare" money for about a month and a half and i'm up to around $500 or so. this is literally from loose change and $15 here/$20 there parts. and it's money that my wife doesn't know exists.

does anyone else do anything similar? and if so, does the wife know?:D

2. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

As a man you almost have to, I always have a few ben franklins hid back just in case there is a C.L. deal I can't pass up. I call mine Mad Money.
    Just remeber It's easier to ask for forgiveness than Permission.

3. specialk

specialk

Sure, you can have the stash. But then how do you explain where you got the cash to pay for the stuff? And yes, forgiveness is much easier to procure :)

4. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

What married man doesn't? That may be the better question.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I used to do that when I was married. My ex never did know how much I had in there and still doesn't. I have been single for 20+ years now and I still do it so I don't feel like I am spending money I should be putting in the bank.

6. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

7. Now this is GOOD !! :D

8. wandi harry

wandi harry

My father inlaw had a nice little stash going in his shed ,had it stashed in an old work boot. He came home one day and his missus had done a shed clean up and thrown out the boot complete with stash, around $2000 !!!
    What can we learn from this? Be careful where you put your spare $$$$
    and never give the bloody wife a key to your shed.

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I don't call it whipped, I call it reality.
    I've actually been doing the same thing after starting my coupe fund about six months ago. I'm not as quick as you, I have just under $1700 saved so far. My wife is aware of my "stash" However, I keep it in a seperate bank acount. A couple of years ago I tried saving by putting cash in our savings account. I got it up to around a thousand before she spent it. Keep it seperate, really.

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Who doesn't? I know a bunch of guys that'll tell ya if all the household needs are met and the kids have shoes on their feet it's kool to put a little to the side.

11. Am I the only guy here who's never had to deal with any of this stuff??? :eek:

All the women I've known over the years have totally aware of my passion for cars and sickels and I've never had to hide the fact that I put money aside for projects/purchases/whatever. In fact, a number of them have volunteered to help at times! (My last long-term lady's really pushing me to spend some hard-earned cash and get my '64 finished; what can I say?) :D

For me, honesty has always been the best policy and I've never really had hassles about what I spend on cars as a result.

12. This is funny, really funny!

13. Thats when you tell her that running driving Model A coupe was $400..
    of course if you die, she will sell it for $400.

I had cash stashed in an old pill bottle. I put 3 or 4 other empty ones there, so if someone thought they might have found something, opened one or two, found nothing, they would move on.

Wife saw bottles, found nothing, and threw them away, along with the one with $1200 in it.

Don't stash any cash where she might clean up later. In the garage or coffee can buried out back is best.
    Keep a note somewhere so if you keel over, she will find it and find the money.

14. Be honest, life is easier. Wonder why the divorce rate is so high? No shit. I may have a few bucks setting aside from a sale but when WE talk about finances it goes to the important stuff that affects our family. Hotrods are secondary to carla and LilT

15. I don't see the point of the post? Some may not admit to it but if you "man up" the truth is in "the ride"...

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Secret stash uses:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">1932 Ford Flathead Stewart Warner Curved Glass Gauge

</td></tr><tr><td class="ipics-cell"><form name="ssFrm" action="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=230465507484" target="ssFrmWin" method="post"><input name="ssr" value="0" type="hidden"><input name="iurls" value="0#http://i.ebayimg.com/07#!BrjMq0QBWk~$(KGrHqYOKjIEvO+VTWcNBL0I72NCSg~~_14.JPG#!BrjMq0QBWk~$(KGrHqYOKjIEvO+VTWcNBL0I72NCSg~~_12.JPG|1#http://i.ebayimg.com/15#!BrjMs+QBmk~$(KGrHqQOKiQEu4yJCg)jBL0I76nTu!~~_14.JPG#!BrjMs+QBmk~$(KGrHqQOKiQEu4yJCg)jBL0I76nTu!~~_12.JPG|2#http://i.ebayimg.com/02#!BrjMvTwBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjMEvPPPUp46BL0I7+DZS!~~_14.JPG#!BrjMvTwBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjMEvPPPUp46BL0I7+DZS!~~_12.JPG" type="hidden"><input name="dtid" value="0" type="hidden"><input name="vs" value="1" type="hidden"><input name="sh" value="0" type="hidden"><input name="title" value="1932 Ford Flathead Stewart Warner Curved Glass Gauge" type="hidden"></form><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="vs_w-a"><center>[​IMG]</center>
    Please wait
    Image not available

• Enlarge

</td></tr><tr><td id="vv4-33_sp" class="vs_w-spr"> </td></tr><tr><td><table class="tg-tb tg-clp" id="vv4-33_tbl" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%"><tbody><tr id="t_r_vv4-33_0"><td id="t_c_vv4-33_0" width="16%" height="42px">[​IMG]</td><td id="t_c_vv4-33_1" width="16%">[​IMG]</td><td id="t_c_vv4-33_2" width="16%">[​IMG]</td><td id="t_c_vv4-33_3" class="tg-td" width="16%">
    </td><td id="t_c_vv4-33_4" class="tg-td" width="16%">
    </td><td id="t_c_vv4-33_5" class="tg-td" width="16%">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

[​IMG]

</td><td class="isumv1_5-cell"><form name="v4-27" id="v4-27" method="post" style="width: 97%;" action=""><table class="vi-is1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lbl">Item condition:</td><td colspan="3" class="vi-is1-clr">New</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lbl">Ended:</td><td colspan="3" class="vi-is1-clr">Apr 29, 201011:09:54 PDT</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lbl">Bid history:</td><td colspan="3" class="vi-is1-clr">15 bids</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" class="vi-is1-bdr">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lblp vi-is1-solidBg">Winning bid:</td><td class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tbll">US $1,226.50</td><td colspan="2" class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tblb">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" class="vi-is1-bdr">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lbl">Returns:</td><td colspan="3" class="vi-is1-clr"><table id="miyId" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="vi-rpd-miyContent">No Returns Accepted</td></tr></tbody></table>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="20">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="4" height="20">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="vi-is1-lbl">Shipping:</td><td colspan="3" class="vi-is1-clr">$6.95US Postal Service Priority Mail Flat Rate EnvelopeSee more services <input id="chngLocPnlJSId" value="6chngLocPanel" type="hidden"> <wbr>See discounts | See all detailsEstimated delive
    </form></td></tr></tbody></table>

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man, I feel like that stuff only causes trouble in the end. What else do you have to hide? How would you feel to know that she's hiding money? Especially as your business partner?

18. If you have to keep a secret stash from your wife then do you ever ask yourself what secrets she may be keeping from you?

19. I do not, and will not. You might have to spend those hidden dollars on a lawyer. Everyone trashes liars on here, but it's cool to lie to your wife?

20. firingorder1

firingorder1

I started racing in 1963, got married in '72, still married to the same gal (God bless her) and still racing. She knew from the start that it costs to go racing and don't get me wrong here, I've never had much money to race. But I've never hid anything from her. There was a lot of beans on toast times but we made it. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Our 32nd anniversary will be in June, never had to clear any car or part buys with my better half. If you can keep "Car Money" seperate from "Bill Money" you are better at making ends meet than I am.

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yea man, I just gather up parts and such and when the time comes I sell it all and bank roll the next project. But on the other hand I don't share my money with my wife. Beond the bills that we split her cash is hers and mine is mine. I can make money faster and in more ways than she can . I aint givin her any of my side cash. I don't lie to her she knows the score. If she wants some extra cash shes gotta make it just like I do.

23. Tiger had a "secret stash"

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats some funny shit.

25. Abomb

Abomb

I took on a part time job managing a carwash, It doesn't make me much money, but what money I make, I keep. The regular paycheck goes in the checking account, and I get most of whats left after bills, savings and groceries......no need to hide anything from her.

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Oh yea we have been married for 13 years. Truth is the best way to go

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I have always been honest with each other...about everything...including money. She's even helped me pay for a couple of cars. She's helping me through college. No need for secrets here.

28. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I have a stash too. I also recycle beer cans, take change to the Coinstar machines, and fence parts and collectibles on Evilbay. I'm not married thank god, and my GF doesn't live with me so I really don't have to hide it. I just call it my HotRod fund.

29. My "fund" isn't just for cars..its for everything.

I pay all the utilities, fuel, food, kids school, part of the house ,home repairs, my garden, etc, I save for Christmas and birthdays, vacations too.
    I have to use a certain amount thats left over to buy parts or cars to sell to keep things moving.

Little actually goes to the cars. When I have the cash I buy what I need.

At times my fund is zero. Sometimes it has a few zeros..

Right now its about empty. But theres a swap meet every weekend in May, so I might recoup some.

My wife does not want to know how much money I have..just as long as things are paid for.
    I would never buy a high dollar toy for myself while owing on the house, etc.
    That aint right. She puts in the money from her job.
    I try to build my cars with trading parts, or deals from the swap meet.
    It still costs money, but not as much.

So call it a rainy day fund, or emergency fund..more than a stash.

I do hide it, because if she knew I had extra, she would want to spend it.
    When I met her she was really bad with credit cards. She likes to shop.
    I cured the credit fetish. But we are pretty broke, so extra cash is like a treat. We cant waste on going to the movies or something like that. We might need it for the light bill next month.

30. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I agree with the guys above -cant lie to the wife -so I had a deal with the her,I could spend 3,000 that she would lend me (i had 500 saved my self).I also had to stop smoking,I was an every day smoker for 16 years.I wanted to buy during the winter,seem to get better deals.I had to sell all my guitars and bikes(bmx/mountain exc) To get some of the money.I sold it all on ebay and payed her back faster than I thaught.I did quit smoking and havent had the erge since-it was well worth it and super cool of her to do that.Cleaned house of shit I wasnt using.I know you guys hate on ebay.....but it enabled me to pull this off along with my wife being super cool.I also baught the car of ebay[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010