Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 54 ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

really? Cool! Learn something everyday. Thanks for the info!

2. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Wouldn't mind having a business coupe version of the '54 Ford.

3. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

You do know that the plate covered the gas filler right? It was hidden behind the license plate at perfect non-impact location.

That was a lot of work to completely ruin that trunk it doesn't flow with anything no curves just square corners. I see something like that and wonder What Where They Thinking? On the bright side you love it, and that's what matters.

4. Mathew21

Mathew21

Great Job. You have some skills!

5. choptvan

choptvan

Of course i knew that! That was why i wanted to remove it. Ugly as hell IMO. The plate will be in the bumper once i have it done. Got something in mind for that as well.

And yes it was a lot of work. Thanks. I guess.

6. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you.

7. choptvan

choptvan

Now wait a damn minute. I was OK with your comments till i noticed that i can not find pix of what you have built? Post me a link.Then I will respect your opinion. Till then, don't bother posting an opinion. Lets see what you have done.

8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've always thought you should have to post pictures of your build when saying what you'd do differently. I like this build a lot and love the steering wheel. Nice job man.

9. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks again. Of all things that this car gets compliments on, it is the steering whell. Unitl they realize it WAS a 4 door.

10. parklane

parklane

Ya, thoroghly IMPRESSED. You can work on my car anytime. It's amazing that the people that complain about someones car are usually the guy that drives a 85 Civic or Lada. :p:p JMHO

11. choptvan

choptvan

I always thought that.Thanks.

12. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I have to agree with ya here bro, I see this shit all the time, a guy who sits on the HAMB all day and bitches about other peoples shit who hasn't done anything to prove himself. Good work man, something a little differant. The square on the back is a little out of the box, but its creative. Keep going and doin your thing, my opinion is if you haven't built something better than me, with less then me, than you are not as good as me. And I tell you what man, you've got me beat.

13. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

nice save on a more door

14. choptvan

choptvan

I was going through som of the hoving archives when i saw this from bragg. I am NOT anywhere near that good but you get the idea. From what i gather this was called a nose. Pretty cool I thought. I have seen it on a few 50's mercs in the past. The scoop i have will be either a 3rd brake light, or some green leds for night time cruising. If i go that route. i will install some leds in the wheel well to add to it. Thanks for the compliments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  15. turned out sweet man! love all the work you put into it!
    great job!

16. anyone that had a negative comment about this vehicle i would love to be able to agree with them but unfortunatly i can't get my head that far up my ass!:eek::rolleyes::D great job dude!

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

It's either a 3rd brake light or a really big "score light" - depends upon how it's used.

[​IMG]

Fabricating a "nose" as you call it was very controversial back in the day and took a lot of guts to employ one as a styling feature. For the same reason as today: some people are just never gonna like it...and often aren't too very tactful about saying so.

I liked the way you built your quarters, then stood back and re-evaluated them and made the changes to make them "right" in terms of the overall balance of the car. This was a subtle change that made all the difference in the world.

I suspect you'll do the same thing with the nose...eventually. Perhaps a bit more subtlety would bring it into balance with the smooth and graceful lines of the rest of the car as well, lines which are, without a doubt, superb.

Who'd have thought a two-door conversion of a four-door would look so right. Very nice work.

:)

18. Chuck Foster

Chuck Foster

Wonderful job, looks great. Good old skool ideas, keep plugging you're almost home.

19. Looks killer man, great job! Stuff like this is what its all about. Can't wait to see it finished.

20. Nice work i realy dig the look of this car from the side and the front but... man that deck lid "Nose" just dont flow..

21. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Just curious if you have any pics of mounting the front shocks on the 54? The way I see it, with the upper A arm so wide and the lower A arm so narrow on the outside of the frame, there really isnt a good place to mount them. Did you come up with anything to get one in there?

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i love build threads like this one, , ,
    you do nice work and i'm very impressed with the 4 to 2 door conversion
    keep up the good work,,,

23. choptvan

choptvan

I have a shock in there for sure. I wasn't about to skip that. I relocated it to the inside of the frame rail. More toward the engine bay. I Guess i wasn't smart enough to take pix of it. I will post pix of that later.

24. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks for noticing! Many people just don't get it! And as far as the nose goes, people either love it, or hate it. But thanks for the input. I was thinkin of extending the quarters rearward. But I will not make up my mind until i get the rear bumper finished ( minus chrome plating ) and installed. Once you see the bumper, you will see just how well that nose will fit in to the rest.

25. choptvan

choptvan

ha ha!

26. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Thanks I would really appreciate it!

27. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

very nice. i love guys that build what they want because the want it. regardless of others opinions. cant wait to see it finished.

28. Steering wheel is BAD ASS! I love the stock wheel, but the way you did it is rad. Still have the stock dash? Not to make it OT but I'm interested in stuff off of it. Good luck finishing it up! I'm at about the same place you are on the build, I'm thrashing getting it done!

29. Subscribed

I'll do it if it looks like the guy is doing something unsafe (uh... I wouldn't use water as a substitute for brake fluid, dude), something that's gonna' cost him (uh... I'm not sure I'd make my own rod bolts out of all-thread, dude) or is going about something the hard way (uh... I've got an impact; let me fire up the compressor, dude).

Apart from those kinds of exceptions, I just don't want to be like the guy at the cruise or show - you know the one: "ya' know, you should really..."

BTW, I've been thinking of painting the one below in HOK organic green w/ silver top. What color are you using?

[​IMG]

-Bill

Attached Files:

30. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I love it and it looks great! I think you have 53 or 54 Dodge also. I can't wait to see that too.