Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Perfect weather = Paint time!

Front is shot and looks pretty good. I hit the little knob accidently with my pinky and killed the air pressure at first. This was a bummer as I manage to lay down some color before really noticing what was going on. This lead to a touch more orange peel that I would like to see. The paint was kinda chunky at first. So Oh Well. But it looks good and is continuing to pull tight as we speak. Here's a pic of the shock bracket after massaging plus a few of the finished work!

I'm done for tonight.

Robert M.

Attached Files:

2. billys54

billys54

Looks awesome. Keep it up.

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So we had a touch of rain again yesterday so I plunked around and did some touch up work on the suspension components but didn't get too much done. However last night was OK so in went in the front springs and axle! Wow!! It's going to be pretty damn LOW.... Perfect. I think for now I will trim the original bump stop unless someone knows a lowered truck version that goes into the same location????

Here's a few Pics. Tonight I hope to get the spindles and brakes on plus hopefully get the new master cylinder in place.

Now Kodaks....

Attached Files:

4. riceman

riceman

Bless my Mess ! " But dear, I know where everything is at ". You can come over and clean mine next.

5. Parts everywhere is so frustrating! I just rebuilt my Y-Block and I was sure I knew where every bolt went... until it was time to go back together! haha

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Forge On Forge On!!!!

Lots of little shit last night... I think the rain is finally done so hopefully we can start picking up speed round har'....

Master cylinder and pedal assy are all painted and ready to install which will happen today. I couldn't resist a little dabble with the Cal-Customs so they got GO-JOB treatment last night as well. I swear I did something else but I can't remember... Oh well doesn't matter...

More news soon.

~Robert

Attached Files:

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Boy no kidding!!! Well see what's missing here soon.

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hmmmm Roger... So If I clean that spare Chizzler into my truck its OK??? That would sure advance the progress of the Fuel Car....

;)

9. Looking Awesome! I love the valve covers.

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I'm going to grab a set for the Roadster as well... Here they are on the motor in the '32. I couldn't resist.

Attached Files:

11. I love those valve covers, I want a pair for my yblock!

12. riceman

riceman

Sorry, your Fueler needs a 392 and the I have is a 354. Have you been eating Max's cookies ? You got too much energy, but felt the same way when I was building my Cackle Car, GET IT DONE ! Lookin good. Don't forget mounts for a pushboard !

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I ended up with the day off which I thought would be super productive but in the end the progress was only so so. I wanted to finish up the Master Cylinder Assembly and get it in so Brake lines could be run this weekend. Happy to report that is done but it was a chore.

Now I gotta say that the stuff from CPP looked super nice coming out of the box but...... I go to bolt up the push rod to the original Brake Pedal after it had been installed into the bracket and there is like a 5/8" gap between the heim joint and the pedal. So I get on the phone and ask the fella what's up. He says, "Ah Uh well my guy says it should be there???" Right well it's not. And the bolt supplied with it is no where long enough to join all this shit together. Right, not a big deal... But for $200 it should be right. So I grabbed some bar off the shelf and chucked it up in the lathe. Space made, longer bolt procured and the bitch is finally in the chassis. Oh right and then the pedal gets adjusted and it turns out the pushrod is only about 1" too short to work. Neat! So again, grab some stock and git'r done....

After that I did manage to get the Mono Leafs in the back and then called it for the night. My new Drag link showed up today from SID at www.droppedaxle.com so I now have all the goodies I need to finish up the front end. Hopefully this weekend the thing will be back on the front tires and the brake lines will be run. We will see what else I can knock out but for now that's the goal.

Here's a few pics. I'll have some more in the morning but it was too damn dark tonight when I finished.

Robert M.

Attached Files:

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a few pics of the rear springs and that Damn Master Assembly all bolted in and ready for duty. You can see from the one side shot on the springs that its going to be nice and low. SWEET....

A little BBQ and drinking tonight so I will be taking a break. But the weekend should be solid! I'll be sure to post my progress.

Until Next Time.

Attached Files:

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The more you post, the more I want another '55-'57. I'm amazed at the progress..............but that's how it should go if your motivated. Can't wait for the saga to continue.:cool:

Frank

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Frank.... Do it.... Go get one...

I just dropped off the rear axles this morning with the new bearing to my local Garage in town. Good Ole' Tim Fincher. I have never seen someone turn out as much work as he does. Busy SumBitch! Anyways he's got a press and I don't so he gets the honors. Those should be ready in a day or so I need to get the housing finished up and bolted in. Someone welded pads on the '56 pass car rear end for this truck but I'm slightly suspect of what I see so they may be getting flamed off and a new set will be buzz'ed on.

Hopefully Summit Returns my lifters today as well so I can continue chipping away on the engine.

Too much Fun!

~Robert M.

17. This is the best build thread on the HAMB (In my opinion). Keep up the good work, looks like it's going swell so far!

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Dude,

Thank you for that... I really enjoy posting up the build process along the way. I hope folks will gain some piece of data here or there or that maybe they will get a good laugh from my work. I do know that the Hotel Room is booked for the Road Zombies Reliability Run on the 30th of MAY... So I best git me shit in gear so that I can go have a hoot with my Bay Area buddies and shake this thing down.

Film at 11:00...

Robert M.

19. riceman

riceman

Man that truck is going to be LOW !

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You've got awesome attention to detail. That's real craftsmanship. Great looking build, I can't wait to see it done

21. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

5 stars...love it

22. reaperman74

reaperman74

does anyone know if a 81 firebird sub frame will fit on a '57 GMC 100 pickup. I want to lower my ride and the only sub frame I can find is on an 81 'bird, I sure would appreciate the info guys. Thanks

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Classic night....

We have our friends over for BBQ and drinks... Kids are raising hell like they should!!! All of a sudden.... The little girl takes a turn and pukes all over her Mom.... Sweet... At the dinner table no less. So.... nothing to report on progress tonight but some soiled towels... Oh and there is a killer Banana Cream pie in the ice box.... Oh Well.. More progress in the AM.

Cheers,

Robert M.

24. riceman

riceman

You must cook a MEAN BBQ to have a kid blow chow !

25. No problem looks like you do incredible work and are very determined. Looks like lot's of good tips as well. What was it again that you used to clean the inside of the engine? Thanks! Keep it up you should be done for the Reliability Run by the rate you are going, good luck!

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK... Back at it boys!

Let's put some caster in this deal... Yeah I don't really know how much it needs but I'm going to take a stab and say 6 degree shims will do the trick. I'm assuming with the rake the truck will sit on and then general arrangement of the new axle with these springs on the front its all gonna work just fine. I've got 8 degrees on my roadster and I think that's about the limit of a street driven deal. This will most likely fall somewhere between 3 to 6 once it's all said and done.

So I nabbed these shims from the local spring dude and they are a touch wider that my application. Perfect! I want all of this shit to lock in and stay put so this is to my advantage. I did a few quick measurements and then got hot. The pictures will pretty much tell the story of what I'm doing. The other little trick is extending the center bolt so that it still registers the axle in the correct spot. Easy, Just get a longer bolt, run a nut on it and then assemble it up. I noticed they had some bitchin chrome acorns at the local mercantile so I couldn't resist.

Take a look at the Kodaks....

27. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Pictures would help....

Attached Files:

28. riceman

riceman

When the PLAN all comes together, part by part, it is total satisfaction. Well done !

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK, Headed downtown to take the wife to work and then cruised the farmers Market. Ahhhh So nice. First one of the year!

Back to work.

Spindles! So the brake kit from CPP so far gets the thumbs up. I think more and more they sent me the wrong push rod with the Master Cylinder kit but oh well. So onto this new deal. They have these bearing spacers that slide onto the spindles to provide a new race/seal surface. On the earlier trucks I think you actually shrink and or press these on but for me they had a perfect sliding fit. Well they can't turn so out comes my Good Ole buddy Loctite! Now trick with this shit is to be clean. So a little scuff with the pad and then a wipe down with brake clean. Spray it with the primer and let it dry. Then apply the retaining compound and smoosh the 2 parts together. Give it a quick spin to spread the shit, make sure its home, then leave it. WHAMO, they are now 1....

Pics....

Attached Files:

30. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Out to the truck and we start doing all the normal shit for spindles. Checking to see the whole things jives together and if you need any shims in with the bearing etc. I then packed the little thrust bearing with plenty o grease, lubed up the bushings and pins and jammed the shit together. Nice tight fit and once the locking pins were in these things are good as new. After the spindles were on I hung the brake brackets and torqued all the bolts to be sure they are driven home. I also put the calipers on really quick just to check clearances. Everything looks OK except for just one spot where I think its touching a bolt head. I'll just ease that with the grinder and then it will be perfect.

More Kodaks...

Attached Files: