Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't go thru 15 pages of posts to see what everyone has stepped up to help with, but I'll throw in some paint.

2. Just a off the wall thought why don't we ask the Friday art show guys to spend one week and put together some rough or finished pictures of what we could build based on parts donated so far. Once we had a bunch of final drawings we could put it to a poll and see what everybody wants to build.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

4. Kulturepimp

Kulturepimp

I will offer a spot in my Shop we have tons of HAMB'ers in the area and the Midwest...

I didn't wade through the million pages so if its been offered my apologies.

Thom

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im really happy to see that this seems to get goin.
    I'll follow it whatever direction its gonna take!
    btw 32, i just went to see your galleries.......jeeez mate! you have some pictures there! kool stuff!

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I love my galleries.

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Thom. Very generous of you. Everyone will get a chance to make an offer and we plot a map and a plan once we get the go ahead.

8. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Since I'm not in the US I can't offer to wrench, but if we get the go ahead I'm in for a Sony digital point and shoot camera with video capability to go around with the coupe to record all the people and the work. It runs on ordinary AA batteries, comes with usb cable and driver disc. It's not brand new but it's hardly been used (I have another camera) and never been dropped!

I know it might be "lost" at some point, but if the first question every time the coupe gets a new foster parent is "Where's the camera?" we'll all know who "lost" it...

9. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

You have great spirit, Bill! Thanks for the opportunity to share a build.

10. I think this build would be a great learning resource for my students and help show what hotrodding is really all about.

If (when!) this project gets rolling, I will donate material and labor for a NHRA / USFRA legal roll bar or cage, whatever it's decided is appropriate. It could even be removable without being really obvious.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the viewpoint of my 1st response about control freaks, not a good idea. Too many things can go wrong in the way of different caregivers. I may respect a car exponentially more than you...or less.

Again, this is easy to overcome. Probably a non-profit org and a person in a fiduciary capacity to collect and arrange things. This will be the biggest and most demanding challenge of the project, even harder than the mucked up chop.

No doubt. Didn't need to be said for many of us but you're right. There's also the possibility of a lesser carbureted version if multiple drivers would like to take a stab. It would involve occaisional engine swaps and be continuous involvement and activity, probably the foundation of the whole thing.

Bill, you stated you'd like nothing new or store-bought. If it's a racer that's impossible. If it's blown it will need a minimum of current restraints and belts, depending on speeds there will be certified chassis parts required, perhaps even SFI wheels and "can". Same as a salt racer. New stuff will be required.

Someone said keep it outta the "rust belt"...can't do it. How can anyone leave MOTOWN outta this gig let alone Denise.:eek: I see this car going on loan to museums throughout the season too. Again the legalities are easy. The work from whomever heads that part up will be the most demanding. Keep that in mind when you raise your hand toward this part of the project.

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good points. I didn't look at it that way. I assume we all respect cars here, but you're right... some of us like to have a little fun too... !

13. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Simple fix for bad (at fault) treatment: the miscreant never, ever, ever, ever gets to touch it again. Sort of like getting banned from the HAMB. Apart from that, any repairs just keep the ball rolling.

14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

OK, I haven't read all of the posts, but I did read a few pages......

Here is a few of my random thoughts.......

1) Although I am always skeptical of these types of internet schemes, if anyone can do it, Ryan would be the one. Seriously, if Ryan thinks it is possible and is a driving force, it will work.

2) I would like to see how this <i>could</i> work and not all of the reason why it can't - a business plan of sorts.

3) Seems like it could be great for Atomic Industry marketing.

4) Seems to me the problem isn't getting the couple built. It either will or it won't - no problem. To me, a big issue is what happens to the coupe once it is built or half built? Who ultimately profits from our donations of material and time? Especially once we begin the HAMB custom build. ;)

<i>edit: Maybe the coupe could be built, paraded around for a year or so and then auctioned off with the proceeds going to charity. </i>

5) We need you HAMB lawyers types to speak up. What are the legalities and liabilities. My guess is that it could be contained. Something like Habitat for Humanity does when building houses.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  15. RichG

RichG

When this thing starts to congeal a little more, a paypal account controlled by a single person (such as Ryan, but not necessarily him) would be nice for those of us who can neither help build or give parts. I love this coupe and want to contribute something towards it, even if it's just as minor as a few bucks.

P.S. I gotta say it's really cool to see some of the older members coming out to chime in and offer to work on this. Y'all rule!

16. raven

raven

We could 'build in shifts'. A few people take such and such week/weekend and go to where the car is, put in their time, hand it off to the next folkes.
    I'll help out whatever I can.
    r

17. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Yeah pretty good Glenn. Good on ya for puttin' your hand up with the wiring kit.
    Best damn wiring kits in the world! :)

18. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I believe it to be a bit of a stretch to say that this would be "setting Atomic Industry up for a major lawsuit".

Heck, set up a legal entity and buy an insurance policy if you want to be certain.

I used to road race and my club would buy insurance for the event. I'm guessing insurance could be used to handle a car build.

I guess I am never one to let "the man" stop me from doing the right thing.

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, its a timeshare hot rod, how hard could the details for this one be? Clubs used to do it all the time. Our "membership" is just more spread out geographically. You guys built a rod for HambAndy, and the good samaritans of So-Cal came through for spoony49. Just put in two seats and if you win a raffle, you can still get a pass down the strip or salt as ballast even if you are not licensed.

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Highlander, all your points (as usual) are good and valid. If it's a race car then yes all the new essential stuff would be needed and better be new but I suppose what I was trying to say was "let's keep it old and not turn it into a catalogue car (though a few of our cool vendors would have to be allowed to help us out with their cool new bits) and that I would prefer if as many donated member's parts as possible were used on this build so that we can all be proud that our parts are on the H.A.M.B. Coupe.

Good news as well by the way. Ryan emailed me (he apologises as he has been sick in bed) and said (and I quote) "I love the idea and it's incredibly generous of you. I'm just worried about legalities. Let me do some thinking."

So that's good news! I know you are all itching to get this conversation started and so am I (more than anyone). We have the will, the desire, the capability and the imagination...all we need now is the suits to give Ryan the thumbs up and a legal plan of action.

Looks like Project "ReMember This" or "Project H" ("H" is not a very sexy letter though - is it just me?) or the "H.A.M.B. Coupe" is going to live.

One thing I'm starting to get pretty set on though is that this coupe never be sold. We must find a way to raise funds for it and for our chosen charity (maybe an emergency fund for H.A.M.B. members in distress plus a children or teenager's charity - maybe 1/3 each from every T-Shirt Sale?) at the time.

Anyway, we still have a little time to wait while Ryan gets the idea past legal and lastly of course (as always) thank you all for your support. I may not respond to every post but I read them all and for the most part you all have valid and excellent ideas. I can't wait to get started on this. Once proceeding it won't be long before this coupe is screaming in anger.

That is an excellent idea and very generous offer Nofin! I'll provide the upload space on my server for pics and movies (I have 160gb & 3.2TB of bandwidth at my disposal every month).

This raises another issue of who is going to write all this up? I'd love nothing more than to travel with the coupe and document it's build. We will only have one chance to do this (document it's build from scrap to coolest car in the world) and I think we should do it properly. There will be many lessons involved in straightening out that metal and we need a good skills to do it and maybe even run workshops for anyone who wants to tap a hammer and maybe learn how to shape metal, paint, build an engine, gearbox...etc

This car can be so much more than a car that rolls around to every event. It can be used to illustrate and demonstrate all the skills needed to build a car. To miss the opportunity for all of us to learn from this build would be a shame.

21. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I have read every post but i don't recall seeing any feedback in regards to the name of the car.

As a community build, the name is obvious as is the state of the body so here is my suggestion.

"THE HAMBER COUPE"
    { HAMMER }

22. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep coming back to this post. I offered up a 671 or 4 Holley's. There has been an offer of a Nailhead and dickster27 offered up a 6x2 intake so I will offer up 6 rebuilt Holley 94's to go with the manifold This would be as traditional as it gets.The forum runs Hemi,Nailhead,Flathead, and Cad / Olds as early motorvation. Just an opinion the first build should real traditional with room for other renditions.
    Ed coupe33

23. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I like it!

I've also suggested the "ReMember This!" but H.A.M.B.er or H.A.M.B.ered Coupe (number 34 or 0 if possible) sounds cool(er?). I/we will start a "Name-The-Coupe" thread and we can all participate.

Each (major?) idea and decision will have it's own voting thread which could get a bit messy now that I think of it but I guess we'll figure something out.

The good thing about this kind of project is that the importance of the coupe exceeds and overpowers all problems it will face and like the old warrior hot rod that it is (or was going to be) it'll just keep fighting on.

I was just thinking how cars like this that are really worth saving (all old cars are worth saving but old 32-34 coupes especially so) but are "too far gone" for the average Hot Rodder can only really be saved with a community effort like this.

If we can build a template framework for saving cars like this we might even be able to do it again, and again, and again. Maybe it's not so important that this particular car lives but that we always have a car on the go - maybe several on the go? Just thinking. My hobby is thinking big and I always like to discuss "what if" and "how can we?". Surely I can't be the only one out there and sure enough I'm not...here you are all hanging out at the H.A.M.B.! Big things happen because lots of people get behind a single purpose. In my other life I have declared 2010 as The Year Of Thinking BIG! I see this project as a natural extension of that into my personal life and hobbies so I know this is going to be huge. It feels it and this thread has been alive less than a few days and look at how much community action it's created!

Cool.

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was mentioned that there may be people that will get their asses up around their shoulders about the car, if so, and you know who you are, don't get involved in this project.

Don't give a damn thing if there are strings attached.

If you are a real HAMBer, you'll give because you want to.

Not because you have an agenda.

This place back in the day had an honor system that was strong, you'd rather take a loss than appear to be a jerk or get banned. That was HAMB 1.0 and it was great. Time to show that the sense of honor still exists.

25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Great offer Ed! I like the idea of a multi-motor car. It'll be a chance to highlight how to do things again and will hopefully create a new wave of education and so the skills are shared once again keeping them alive. Slightly ambitious? Probably but I for one would love to see how-to articles written around this coupe so I'm guessing others would too.

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You missed this: ​

We will all love this coupe like a child and like a child, when it's first born and brought home it changes everyone's life and causes untold chaos, confusion and drama and yet it's loved from the first moment and forever by all.
    Yeah...the child. LOL.
    Brat, Bad Seed, Hamber's Worry, Baby Hamber, Offspring, Kid, Juvenile, Little Monster, Progeny, and I especially like this one...Prodigy.
    prodigy [&#712;pr&#594;d&#618;d&#658;&#618;]
    n pl -gies 1. a person, esp a child, of unusual or marvellous talents
    2. anything that is a cause of wonder and amazement
    3. something monstrous or abnormal
    4. an archaic word for omen[from Latin pr&#333;digium an unnatural happening

I like your idea too. How about a variation...simply... HAMBERED

27. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I love the idea. Love the car. Keep it going.

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Any word on legalities from the Boss......

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Ryan emailed me this morning saying he's sorry for the delay, he's been a bit ill, sounds like a great idea...etc, checking on the legal aspects now.

30. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Haha I like HAMBered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.