Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats great.....lol

2. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Why is this stupid?

***edit the radio question more than the gas***

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. larry_g

larry_g
    from oregon

I really like to do things like Komet, totally agree with the expert then give them a bit more information for their bit bucket.

Used to have a 56chev sedan delivery. One guy was going on how I ruined a good station wagon by welding up the windows. I agree, I say, probably the wrong thing to do. Ya know that the hardest part was shortening the doors. He agreed that would be hard and walked on.

I just love to give them 'facts' that they can go along and spout to another.

lg
    no neat sig line

4. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

Try riding a new Triumph! Mines an '02.

They still make those? (never stopped, just low production)
    Who makes Triumph? (I just say Harley)
    and of course, all the Lucas Electrics jokes....

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That reminds me of a joke.

Q: You know why the British don't make computers?

A: They haven't figured out how to get them to leak oil yet.

6. Bossy

Bossy

I had a 56 Ford Parklane wagon with a 302 motor and at the Endicot Estate car show, the judge asked me if the motor was optional that year!!!!!!

7. Toner283

Toner283

I like the one the goes:

Why do the British drink warm beer?

The refrigerators are made with Lucas electrics....

8. Toner283

Toner283

I had one just the other night. Stopped to fill the rod up with fuel. went in to pay & the attendant at the counter (not a kid either) says "those old 50's fords are pretty cool". I looked at him funny & told him he had missed by a couple of decades.

I was driving the coupe in my avatar pic....30 A 5W

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That brings up a good point ScottV.......

I'm getting the notion from reading this thread that a lot of hot rodders, when replying to comments/criticism/questions about their ride...........say the Dumbest things,,,,,,,,
    Too many are snyde, misleading, pompous, or insulting........

I'm thankful for this thread, because it points out that a lot of us, regretfully I can say I'm not proud of. I'm as guilty as the next guy, but I wish I could take back some of my replies. Replies given when I was not in the mood to converse or have tired of the repetitive nature of many questions I get, most of which, even if they are off on the age of my car, or don't know a Chivvy from a Durnat, or whatever. Ignorance of facts don't warrant many of the veiled bullshit comebacks I see posted here..............

The better approach would be to interact and educate. If I were one of those people and I caught on that the reply I got to my sincere question, recognizing it for it was; snyde, misleading, pompous, or insulting.... then I might have mixed emotions about hot rodders in general.

Like I say, I've been guilty too, in the past, but this thread has prompted me to be more forthcoming in the future, trying to answer the sincere questions because the bigger majority of these people merely want to join us in conversation about our hobby. Those questions, (however misinformend) but sincere, warrant a likewise sincere (but informed) reply.

So, the next time some guy asks me how I get "that old motor" to run on this modern gas, or calls my ride a Model A,:D, I'm going to temper my reply..............

10. johnboy13

johnboy13

I look at it like this, I get between 10 and 15 mpg depending on how far into it I have my foot. At 65 MPH, I would use between 4.3 and 6.5 gallons of gas. At $3.00 a gallon, that's between $12.90 and $19.50 an hour. Driving my truck is like therapy. Show me some other way to get therapy at less than $20.00 an hour.

11. starchief1959

starchief1959

Back to the 50s 2008...

I'm sitting behind my car with my hat over my eyes and over hear 2 guys standing in front of it:

Guy 1: What is THAT thing? I've never seen anything like that before.

I perk up and peek around the corner, yup they're looking at my car.

(Before I get a chance to speak up)
    Guy 2: I know what that is. Look at the styling. It's Italian! Look at those lines. Man they know how to make cars over there.

I rolled back behind the car laughing so hard I had to let them continue thinking it's Italian. Best part was they were right in front of the grille where it clearly says "Pontiac" and there's a giant arrowhead staring them right in the face. :eek:

12. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Second story, don't ask me how the messages got mixed up, it was my bad. So me and my friend are driving to a car show and this guy in a honda starts to follow us. Well upon arrival the guy gets out and calmly walks over to his car and says "So why did you buy such an old shit clunker?" my friend replies: because i didn't think that I could afford a honda. The guy walks off with a smile. Funny thing is his o/t 1969 camaro cost him $53,000 to build himself. Here, take a look see for yourself...
    [​IMG]
    Sadly this one is not his but his looks just like it with a 454 bbc.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  13. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Ohh, but how tall is the milk man? Not my car but, me and my friend drove up to a little local car show in a 1969 Camaro His car, him driving) and a 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2 (his car, me driving) and one guy walks up and says "nice cars, where did you find a 65' camaro?" me: seriously? him: totally, why? then without being an asshole I explained the difference and he thanked me for the info. I felt cool and pretty useful. plus I got some good laughs out of it.

14. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Guess I should clear up my comment about airbags being useless by saying that once you gut the bed floor, z the frame up to the bedrails, and install some chrome tanks and a compressor that costed more than the truck, you've made it useless. Its days of hauling tools, parts, and furniture are over.

15. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

A guy told me once that chrysler made a flathead hemi???

16. Streetrodscoty

Streetrodscoty
    from Washington

While at a car show about 10 years ago I was looking over my Dad's buddies freshley built 41 Willys. Tupperware car but nicely built, body was stock even with the stock tail lights. A kid walks up and says "What is it Dad". He Gruffley says, "I think its a 36 Ford, but the way guys change em now days its hard to tell".
    If ya dont know wtf your looking at, best to keep your mouth shut.

17. Streetrodscoty

Streetrodscoty
    from Washington

I have been waiting for someone to comment to me about Puting a Chev 454 in a Ford, although its a 34 Master Coupe. One day, one day... It will happen.

18. hkestes

hkestes

Actually he was somewhat correct.

Chrysler used the flathead 6 as a test mule for their new HEMI head before going into production with the HEMI V8.

Attached Files:

19. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Little known fact...the Studie designers did in fact have a hand in the design of that 50 shoebox.

20. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

I second that emotion! I've been using my 55 as a daily driver for the past 3 weeks and I can't begin to explain how much better life is. Hell, even rush hour traffic is nice. :)

Just so I stay on topic--
    Gal at car show to a group: "Do you think its original?," with her entire head in my passenger window and necklace hitting the door. They all nod in agreement.
    Me: "Actually the only thing that might be is the headliner, but it was painted."
    Gal: "Oh, it be better if you lie to us because then we can excuse the rust," as she walks off to stare at a Foxbody.

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

One more reason my shoebox is getting a custom grille.

22. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I know a dude that calls EVERY pre '40 car a model T. I don't bother to correct him anymore... 'Hey check out that model T!' ... (37 chevy sedan)

23. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

its funny that you say that, I actually did know about that one, I was considering trying to put a hemi head on an A banger, or a 235 chevy head on a 218 six. I think this guy was implying that the Ford Flathead V8 was a Hemi because of the spark plug position.

24. Yesterday at auto zoo, I asked about an aftermarket intake manifold for my 60' caddy 390, since adapting the holly to the stock manifold is a bit of a pain. After I realized the (clueless fat older manager) guy was looking at air boxes and tubes and shit that would never apply to my car I asked him what he thought he was looking at. At this point he told me I'd be better off looking at the junkyard for the parts that I needed......Clueless F*ck!!!!!!

25. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Theres always the guy that thinks ANY hotrod is a T-bucket. I had a guy say to his son when he walked past my 31 Ford Model A "Woody", "Look at that old T-bucket". Another guy (differant show) says to me " I used to have a T-bucket just like that one when I was a kid".

MY CAR IS A WOODY FOR CHRIST SAKE THERE'S NO BUCKET OF ANY SORT, NOT EVEN THE SEATS!!!!

26. with my bagged '68 Caddy anywhere I go; gas station, park, store, car show..etc at least one person asks if I have hydraulics it gets annoying after awhile it seems nobody has ever heard of air ride but everyone knows hydro's they all just look at me like I'm crazy when I say it has bags

27. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

29Nash @ post #1213
    Well said! I agree on that. We should be good ambassadors for the hobby. After all alot of people want to be like us and have an old rod/classic/muscle/whatever does it for them. I use my old 30 A coupe as much as I can in the summer and it takes me 5 minutes every time I get out of, or into the car, but hey! –That's fun and I get loads of old stories. Some real and some not, but the Ardun heads in a basement seem to be for real !!! (Still working on that lead)

And consider this:
    Sometime in the early 90's I attended a local streetrace where there was a quite quick -56 Ford. I went over to talk to the driver and asked him what engine he was running. "Stock" he said.
    Me: Wow! Thats a strong running Y-block!
    He just looked at me like I was from another planet and he and his pals laughed me in the face. I still cant see what was so funny.

A good thing then that I didnt start with offering him the -56 parts I had lying around.
    It's his loss I guess.

28. mac762

mac762

People say dumb shit all the time, me included. Better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Or some such crap as that.
    I don't even bother explaining to people that El Camino's are not that light in the rear end, and a lot of them actually have a better front rear wieght bias than a Chevelle.

29. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Kinda car related....

I had an inspection panel from a P51 & was stood looking in the rattlecan cage at Pepboys...Just needed something to spray on the inside.

PepboyAzzhat: Can I help you sir?

Me: Just need some paint for this

PA: Whats it from?

Me: A Mustang

PA: what year?

Me: '44

PA: You really don't know much about cars do you?

Me: Evidently I know a fuck load more about aircraft than you do tho, now fuck off & send the manager over.

30. hasn't happened with this car, but on my old 5 liter mustangs, i used to love the guys with cars slower than mine telling me what parts i should be running.

and on the pepboys front, i had this old dumbass try to convince me that i should be running HOTTER spark plugs with nitrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.