Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks, 49Chevy. A very cool build. I was disappointed when the AD trucks disappeared from Old Navy (coincidentally, or maybe not, that was right about the time they stopped carrying clothes I’ll wear too), but I’m glad to see one getting a cool build.

My first car was an ‘86 GMC S15 Jimmy, and my wife currently drives a ‘96 Chevy S10 Blazer, so I’m a real fan of the 4x4 S-series, and I always thought earlier tin on one would be a natural. Nice to see somebody else thinks so.

I think you said this was a budget build, so I suppose different wheels are out of the question? I just keep thinking it would look great with something like this (with a Chevrolet cap, of course):

[​IMG]
    From Rally America

-Dave

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Here's the Chevy 'cap I was thinking of (from Wheel Vintiques):

[​IMG]

-Dave

3. 49chevy

49chevy

The spare tire is actually mounted on a steel wheel that looks a lot like those and I am considering running them instead of the stock rims but I haven't found any at a reasonable price yet. I have a couple sets of original caps similar to the last pic that I think could be made to fit.

4. scounts

scounts

My 2000 S-10 4x4 had a steel spare that looked like those artillery wheels almost. I found 4 at a junkyard and painted them black. They looked pretty neat on a black truck.

5. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

A friend of mine is building a 50 truck on a late 80's s10 using the s10 floor and firewall. He did this to retain the A/C and all the stock locations for pedals and such. I'm not big on how the transition has turned out.

6. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

Not too much posted about a 41-46 Chevy truck. Anybody have any info? I'll be starting on it this weekend, mounting on an extended cab 2003 S-10 rolling chassis that has 40,000 miles on it...should be nice! I'll post about my experience...

7. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

I cut all of the existing s10 mounts off on Saturday, and on Sunday me and my father (using his extremely handy lift) began mocking things up to determine where to mount the body. We thought for sure we'd have to modify the frame (other than shortening it, which that is necessary), but everything seems to be fitting perfectly.

[​IMG]

And yes, we did have the running board mounted incorrectly. Everything on the front half of the truck is attached to the cab, which is hanging from the posts of the lift.

[​IMG]

This weekend we plan on putting a motor and transmission in, to see what kind of clearance issues we may have. Then we will begin fabricating the mounts.

8. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - make sure to post pics of the chassis mods - include measurements if you can!

Lots of folks come here from all over the world, looking for exactly this information!

And thanks for making this thread such a success guys - you all rock!

~Jason

9. scounts

scounts

Well I got the frame shortened. I went with a z cut, as this is a 2000 S-10 frame and doesn't look like the older frames were people have slid the frame apart after grinding welds. It was just much quicker doing a z cut and then backing that up with some reinforcement plates on all 4 sides of the frame rails. I bored holes in the plates to get more welding area. Alignment is spot on.

10. olyrailman

olyrailman

Hi all,
    I just picked up a 49 Ford F2 Cab and Front Clip For 0$ and I'm considering setting it on a S-10 but need to know what years will work the best I also have a 324CID out of a 56 Olds with Trans...for the power plant....

Jim

11. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

From the way our mock-up is going, the only chassis mods required are going to be shortening the frame (I knew that going in, because it's an extended cab frame) and building mounts. I had read that there were some more mods required, but there is about 1/16" of clearance on each side. It's amazing to me...we'll be putting a mock-up engine in this weekend, we'll see if it's all too good to be true!

12. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Dude, even if it's a direct bolt on fits perfect took ten minutes to do. We want to see pictures.. Think of it as a magazine - pictures are what gets things going:D

13. DWright

DWright
    from N. Georgia

I just finished my frame swap and I have the bed too low. The Running Boards are level but the truck looks like its dragging ass. What did I do wrong?

Attached Files:

14. BangShiftChad

BangShiftChad

Looks like a 2" drop spring or spindle makes this thing look bitchin as hell. Nice truck.

15. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

I agree. I'll post more info as things progress. Progression is slow due to being a full time employee, full time student, full time husband, and a home owner...hopefully within the next month we'll have the frame mods and body mounts finished. We're trying to get all of the body parts roughly aligned while attached to the cab before mounting to the frame, which may prove to be a challenge from what we're seeing so far.

I should probably start a build thread...

16. DWright

DWright
    from N. Georgia

Thanks! I bought the kit and it made my project go smooth. I had the money and I didn't want to waste a whole lot of time. My grandad needed to see this thing when he could appreciate it. Turns out the truck is too low for his taste. :( I want to raise the back though and change the wheels to baby moons. I built it to drive and after all the money and time, it won't be back on the farm as a work truck.

17. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I put the floor and firewall out of the S-10 in my '54 F-100. It sucked, and I wouldn't do it over again. I have more time in making brackets and templates than It would've took to do a column swap and drill a few holes.

I'll also probably be doing a '46 Chevy onto a S-10 chassis. (Perfect cab, 1 ton frame that I sent to the junkyard for $250) and am looking for a Blazer chassis for the Corvette styled '54 Mercury thing I'm building.

18. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

Look good to Me!!

19. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Whats everyone doing on steering set-ups? Manual boxes, or just Power Boxes with or without a Power Steering Pump?

My daily S-10 is non-power, and it actually drives better. I'm just not sure how it would be with a Power Box with no Power and a big V8 hanging over the wheels.

20. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

This is a stock height S10 frame. I put the 2" billet spacers on, wheels are sitting nicely.

[​IMG]

Here's how much we trimmed off the front of the frame.

[​IMG]

Wish I could take about 6 months off from work, from school, and that my dad would retire early, and my wife would let me abandon her for 6 months while I finish this thing up...

21. joel torres

joel torres

thats why i transferred everything to my orig firewall useing the old mounts as templates i even welded the cut out section for the steering and boxed it in it looks factory

[​IMG]

22. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Neat. I've got a 46 Chrysler that I'm planning on putting a S-10 frame under. The local junk man will trade me S-10 frames for any older frame because of the weight difference. He does not mind encrusted ball joints and seized wheel bearings.

And I'm doing the same thing with this convertible '54 Mercury thing, and my '48 Olds.

23. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Im just getting my frame ready now for my 41. Had to do a lot of narrowing at the cowl due to my 5 inch. channel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I cut all the stock mounts off the frame, gotta make all of those. Going airbagged so I radius roded the rear with panhard bar made a new crossmember for the tranny due to the motor sitting so far back. had to take about 9 in out of the frame rails to get the cowl to sit over them, then boxed in all back in with 3/16 cr plate.

24. Fitty-Tree

Fitty-Tree
    from Canada

Well I am trying to set the rear end up for the 4 link with coilovers. I am using the 4x4 rear end out of a blazer and damn it looks like its not gonna fit.

Anybody else use the 4x4 rearend and run into these issues? It looks like the inside of the rims are gonna rub on the box sides. Did you guys use wheel spacers?

Also what did you guys use for drive shaft set up? Two piece or one piece?

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

26. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i have looked through this entire post havefound where other have asked about an s10 frame under an early 40's chevy cars and they have not gotten a answer i am wonderin about putting a frame s10 under my 47 chevy fleetline has anyone got any info on this? i am trying 2 decide if i want to do full frame, clip, mustang 2, or work with stock and bag it...if anyone has any info on doing to to a car like that please let me know.. any info will be greatly appreciated..thanx

27. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

The only help I can offer is this- the Blazer 4x4 has severely offset wheels-- they stick in toward the body big time! This is great if you need them to tuck in under the front, but not so good otherwise. If you used the Blazer's wheels, maybe that's the reason.
    Otherwise, you're gonna need spacers (billet adapters) to place them where you need them.

28. croxxedmember

croxxedmember

i havn't seen a whole lot done with them, but i have heard that the new H3s are mounted on S10 frames.

29. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

croxxedmember, the H3 is based on the Canyon / Colorado platform

30. joel torres

joel torres

bn48chevy

i swapped the frame cuase my car was rusted to shit and had to repair everything but if i had a solid body i would just put a 4-link and upgrade everything to orig frame but this would cost way more then a swap
    but i love my swap and can't wait to hit the road

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.