Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

Roscoe Sarles is in the driver's seat, and the year is 1921. This particular Duesey was #10 in 1920 (the year it was built), #6 in '21 and #31 in '22.

:)

2. Jim,

Thanks for the pictures- it IS the "300 inch car" tail that I'm looking for (your pic of the Monroe wreck solidified that for me)- the tail on the 300 inch is "flatter" than the Monroe.

I knew that the 300 inch and the Monroe were different cars (the Z in the frame, etc), but thought that the bodies may have been from the same manufacturer, and the there might be a possibility that the tails were the same or even similar.

Will keep looking, but this is a great help!

Bill

PS- There's an Eztel Monroe Spl about to go off on espay for about $200+... it KILLS me to think that I had the opportunity to buy some of his kits when he was making them years back- figured that "I would later" and poured dumb money into my Nova instead :rolleyes:

3. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

• 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      267.3 KB
      Views:
  4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A photo of Burman? in the Cutting. I have another image taken at the same track with a slightly different scene I have posted before.

Could this possibly be Banning?

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      363.4 KB
      Views:
  5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A very nice early postcard that has survived with good color.

Attached Files:

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Some fairground racing action in an unknown location, can anyone ID the track from these poor photos?

Both cars in the fore ground are T's so maybe this was the bigger car line up.

Attached Files:

7. Jim Scammell

Jim Scammell

Great shot . . . . . car races plane.

There were some photos taken back in 1924 in Australia, similar to this. It was the 'Wizard' Smith Essex 4 special racing an Avro aircraft piloted by Captain E.W. Percival around a horse race track.

I have only seen a terribly pixelated pic of the challenge. Do any of you Oz or Kiwi fellas have a good photo in your collection of that event at Richmond, outside Sydney?

The attached pic is of Earl Croysdil (Vic) with early '20s Buick racer at a Melbourne, Victoria, Australia race track.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Noted sculptor Finn Froelich working on a sculpture of a Miller. I found this photo elsewhere on HAMB and thought that it was very interesting. Does anyone know if it survived or who it was made for?

Froelich was a friend of Jack London and this link below will tell you more about him.

http://www.jacklondons.net/finn_froelich.html

Attached Files:

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Was always told that was Fred Marriott, guess that was wrong, went to school with his great nephews but never saw a picture of him before. He looks just like the guys I knew 60 years later. Also heard he crashed that car at 197 mph. A little hard to believe, but steamers were pretty fast...

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Your Pope Hartford? Your girl and your dog, what else could an aspiring Barney Oldfield want? I don't know if this car ever raced but looking at the straight pipe below and the little lantern on the front it might lead one to believe this might be a fairgrounds special from 1916.

Attached Files:

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

You are right and the post card is wrong. Just another example of not being able to trust the printed word. His speed at the time was more like 140 or so.
    The link below tells you more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Marriott

12. With the month of May coming up soon and the eyes of the racing world will be following the Indy 500, I will post some behind the scene Indy photos from way back. Hope this meets with your approval. Here is a shot that's been around for a while but I feel can be used to kick off the photos I will be sharing.
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Gene's right, the race is coming up in a month or so and here are some photos of a Delage that is in the IMS museum.

These photos were taken after Ed Roy restored the car and they show it on display at the Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline Mass. At some point in the sixties? he drove it around the track before the 500 and it might have been the year he donated it to them.

Attached Files:

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

darn good looking. If it is a pope, it is an early 50hp car, as it does not have a double drop frame.

15. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Post away HG. This is the best photo i've seen. The other's were either too small or too grainy. THANKS.

What does everyone think of the modern Indy 500?

Also, in your own opinion, what was/were the best year/s of the great race?

16. Best years at Indy, The Ward/Rathmann duels of 1959 and 60.

The modern Indy.....cookie cutter cars, no real rivalries, names I can't pronounce...etc,etc.....but still one heck of a party to go to!

17. The Indy tickets that will be posted are originals, not copies.

[​IMG]

18. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

HG,

I notice the day is a Thursday ..........practice day ?? or were the races held in the week ?

Thanks

Keith

19. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Until 1970, the 500 was always scheduled on the Memorial Day holiday - May 30th - unless the 30th was a Sunday, in which case it was run on the 31st.

In 1971 Memorial Day was fixed as the last Monday in May and the 500 for the previous Saturday, but since 1977 it has been scheduled for the Sunday ie the day before Memorial Day.

Of course, rain delays have sometimes intervened ...

20. noboD

noboD

I see there was a heavy amusement tax even then!

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

22. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Original french movie still from 1930. The french title of the movie is 'Plein Gaz', 'Burning up' starring Richard Arlen and Mary Brian.

Is this one of the Millers that Duray sold to Bugatti? Or is it a different front drive Miller? Or was it filmed here in the US?

Attached Files:

23. ehdubya

ehdubya

Who says Scots are dour. check the paint on these 1912 GP Arrol Johnstons...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ehdubya

ehdubya

Benning? I don't think so, the trees look right for the front straight but the big ones behind them are missing. It's still got wooden front wheels here.

[​IMG]

25. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A photo of the Vanderbilt Challenge Cup Trophy taken on Jun. 12, 1919. Read all about its origin of the Cup on the link below. I last looked at it in Albany, NY at the NY State Museum in 1988 at a exhibition called racing thru New York, it was very impressive sight set up right next to Old 16. It was made by Tiffany I will hold a little over ten gallons and weighs thirty pounds.

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/i...st_time_the_vanderbilt_cup_was_on_long_island

Attached Files:

26. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Mystery photo - I have no information on event or location. Same driver as in post 3059.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

28. With a little more searching, I found a great pic of Chevrolet in a Fronty 300 inch car that gives a better shot of the profile.

Okay, dumb question time (you notice that I have alot of them :D)- why were they called 300 inch cars?

Attached Files:

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A photo postcard featuring an early auto race at the old mile track in Davenport, Iowa. I seem to remember Oldfield having a car just like this. Could this be the showman?

Attached Files: