Register now to get rid of these ads!

radial whitewall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl E. Hagan Jr., Apr 25, 2010.

1. Is there a radial whitewall that looks like my cokers. There's a few pics of my a on here or on my website. Thank you 4 any help.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So, looked at your website pics ...........looks like you are running bias plys........Coker sells WWW radials too. In fact I am a few keystrokes away from ordering a set. My only concern is is whether or not the tires will be satisfactory (to me). Want some with minimum out of round and requiring not more than about 3 oz to balance.

Anybody have experience with Coker Radials in that regard?

Ray

3. I love the looks of my tires, but I'm sick of fighting them year to year from the car setting over the winter. Anyone using whitewall radials.....oh...the back order issue is also of concern, I'm looking to have 4 new tires before Sept.2010

Anyone? Carl Hagan

4. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I gots me WWW radials...but they used to be raised whiteletter tires :D

5. I got mine from Diamondback. They actually take tires from other manufacturers and vulcanize the whitewall to them. Mine are Coopers. They look real good. THe tires are made to order. From the time I sent them my money order to the day I got them was less then 2 weeks.
    Also, if you tell them your a HAMB'r they will throw you a discount. When you Call ask for Tab. Here is a link to thier website. Todd

http://www.dbtires.com/

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

X2! We love our Diamondbacks! Hav'nt heard much good about Coker lately.:eek:

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Diamondback. Great folks to do business with. Stu

8. twochops

twochops

Just order my 2nd set of Diamondback tires,they don't get any whiter
    than these. TwoChops

Attached Files:

9. Diamond Back radials are BRAND NEW radials, from the original manufacturers. They have a 3 layer white wall vulcanized to them. Bottom layer is for adhesion to the tire. Middle layer is a Butyl rubber layer which absolutely prevents any "bleed through" of the underlying black. The third layer is the white rubber. This is all hot vulcanized to the tire and can't seperate, then they trim them. Before they do all this, the tires are checked by a laser for run out and then for excessive imbalance. Bad tires are rejected. They will make any size whitewall, in any configuration you'd like...for the same price. Diamond back does not have any of the problems that Coker has with "brown walls", out of round, or excessive imbalance. Coker manufactures their own tires in old "Name Brand" molds, and you have to deal with them for returns and warranties. Diamond Back warrants their tires through the original manufacturers...since they're new tires from the original manufacturers. I asked Coker about a HAMB Discount and they wanted to know my HAMB number, and all that. Diamond Back didn't want to know anything, they just said "Sure, 10%"...no questions asked. YOU choose who to buy from. And like TWOCHOPS said, they are REALLY white!...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. Larjk9

Larjk9

I've got the Diamondbacks on my '53. I've had lots of different W/W over the years and these are by far the nicest I've ever had. That being said, I saw Corky Coker on My Classic Car and he was hawking some new radials that look like old Bias Ply tires. They looked pretty nice on TV.

11. I just ordered a set of 215 3.25 white walls for my 1951 Mercury got the HAMB discount, I'll take pics once I get them! Thanks for the suggestion twochops.

12. walls

walls

i've gone through this. there are no radials that look like bias currently being made. the best looking radials and closest to bias are the coker classics or excelsiors. the excelsiors only come in blackwall though. the cokers come in WWW in 16". in my opinion, i think those two tires can pull of the open wheeled hotrod look. all the rest need to be hidden under fenders.

13. I'm no tire expert. But in the Diamondback catalog on page 19 is a radial that you can get in a white wall that looks a lot like a bias to me.

700R15
    Beautiful Nostalgic Tread

Square Bias Ply Shoulder Design
    Replacement for: 700x15 800x15 820x15
    Height - 29.4” Tread Width - 4.9”
    Cross Section - 7.7” Max Load - 2040 lbs.
    •

Great For Rat Rods
    •

OE Size For Luxury Cars Thru 1947
    •

Available In Smoothy - $179
    •

Optional White Wall Widths
    3" - $229 3

2" - $234 3w" - $244
    Looks Fantastic With Beauty Ring!

14. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

I too like my Diamond Backs - good folks to boot

15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ve had my Coker WWW radials on my Chevy for 12 years now. Whats the problem.

17. EVERY SINGLE TIRE Coker sells does NOT have a problem. But for what we have to pay for white walls, I won't take a chance on ANYTHING being wrong with the tires..and I've heard enough about them not to take a chance. I haven't heard anything bad about Diamond Back's tires/white walls. I don't know...you tell ME what the problem is.....

18. walls

walls

i'm not arguing, just wondering. did you have the coker classic radials that use tubes? i've driven them and thought they handled great. if you use the right stuff on the tires ,without bleach, they don't turn brown.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've had DiamonndBack WW's on my Stude for a lotta years...they are still as white as the day they arrived at my house. I've had zero problems with balancing, zero problems with out of round...and actually zero problems with wear, they still look like new tread and I've got over 30,000 miles on them...I would heartily recommend Diamondbacks.

PS, I currently have two Cokers on my Caddy...and they are never completely white...and I didn't buy them, they were given to me by a friend.

R-

20. clifforddean

clifforddean

Are the BFGoodrich radial whitewalls that Coker sells made by Coker? What kind of experiences have been had with them.

21. The BF Goodrich Silvertowns that Coker sells are made by them with old BF Goodrich molds...

22. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

^^^What he said^^^ Tad is a cool guy :cool:

23. HNSTRAY - Did your question get answered?...:D

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've had both Coker and DiamondBack radials on Big Olds. They are a night and day difference in ride/handling/and looks. I LOVE my WWW Michelin DiamondBacks.:cool: and I got a HAMB discount on them as well.

25. david363

david363
    from Texas

I've got the BFG radial wide whites from coker on my 53,about 1,000 miles and they ride good

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Absoposilutely............made a convert out of me........if I decide to pull the trigger..........I'm going for the Diamondbacks......Their website info is terrific..........Thanks everyone!!

Ray

27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

The reason Diamondbacks don't have balancing problems is that they check the roundness and runout in the first step when shaving the sidewall to vulcanize the whitewall on. If there is ANY problem, they refuse them. All cutting and trimming is lazer guided and very accurate.
    I am running the AS4s and Highly reccommend them. If you are ever in Conway Sc, go and see them. It is WAY out in the swamp. Seeing them made is really interesting.

I have ordered 5 sets from them for the trucks I've built and for friend's cars.

I like Coker for their historically accurate tires and what they do in and around the hobby. If you are looking to go for the 100 point resto, by all means go with them. If you are going to drive your car, bias ply snob or not, Diamondback is the way to go.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

My Cokers....

[​IMG]

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I have the BFG ones on my Ranchero...so far, for what they cost me, I wish I'd have bought the Diamondbacks.
    We'll see, I have re-balanced them twice...It still sucks at speeds above 65...If I wanted that, I'd have bought Bias-plys, and at least the tread wouldn't be ugly, too. I think these BFG's are pretty ugly, honestly, thank god the car is low enough to cover them for the most part....

So far, not really happy...I'm building this car to drive LONG HAUL style.
    If my EXPENSIVE WW Radials stymie that, I'll be p.o.'ed...

I'm about to buy a pair of D-backs, just for the front, for now, maybe...

30. I'll jump on the Diamondback wagon.

And I have never heard anything good about Coker tires. Of course I only know the folks that have had problems with them and there must be someone out there who has had good luck with them.

Carl
    What we used to do with the race cars was put them up on blocks for the winter. No flat spots to deal with. But that is totally old world thinking.

Something that everyone should bear in mind is that radial tires put more stress on the suspension. No one likes to tell you that. That wouldn't be more stress going down the road but when you brake or hammer it in a corner. MOPAR magazine published a story on that back in the '90s. Of course it was written about muscle cars but the gist of it was that if you were planning on pushing it you also needed to upgrade the suspension to take the abuse that the radial put on it. IE better shocks and springs all the way to more modern suspension geometry.

Just a thought.