Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Thx attorney1.

Hmm template... Is that something can can be pdf'ed or faxed Ether? I've got the ever popular 52-54 Merc style bezels... Is that what you used?

2. send me your address and Ill send a copy of the template

3. mikes51

mikes51

I got my power steering in and test drove it a few days ago. It is great pulling in and out of parking spaces.

It took me 2 weeks staring at the stock turn indicator switch to figure it out. After all that to get the original turn signal system working, I decided to keep my stock steering wheel and column. Fatman conversion kit on the other end.

Thanks to Dave Paras and the Invisiblekid for some building tips. Also a third HAMB'er had posted pics of his installation with all the sheet metal removed. Can't recall your name.

I should have put it in when I first built the car instead of now after everything else is in place. I had to run two universal joints in the steering linkage because my firewall mounted brake booster was in the way.
    Column had to go down to clear the booster, u joint to go back up towards the steering box.

If I had done this before the brake installation, I think a person could get away with one universal joint at the steering box and the shortened stock column connected right to it there.

I removed the inner tube from the column. The tube that is connected to the shift lever.
    A 2" OD ball bearing fits pretty good in the column. Had to shim it just a little bit because the inside of the column is just a bit bigger than 2".

I would say the only negative thing is the box is very large. I'm not looking forward to changing that front left spark plug. I think it's worth the price to pay, the car steers beautifully.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Nice call on switching to the ford/merc rings John- IMHO they look the best!

Ether... Dang- that's the way to do it!

5. Mike- Thanks for the words.I'm glad I could help out,and that the bearing worked! I wish I would've know about your TS SW.! been there and done that! I have a schematic with all the color combo's! My two weeks are gone,but I could'a saved yours!:)

6. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

Welded in the Street Rod Engineering front frame stubs--went in easy and looks good. Waiting for some mustang II t-bolts and it will be on the ground. Nice front suspension. As soon as it hits the ground I have a new 350 and 700 r-4 to install. Then its steering, brakes, electricals, radiator and on the road. Paint can wait.

7. mikes51

mikes51

That schematic is worth it's weight in gold. I remember there was a pretty long running thread about how to figure out one of those switches.

8. Wow that looks great!
    Does it use the Ford truck power steering box? I though you had to use a steering column with tilt because it changes the angle of the column so much.

9. mikes51

mikes51

Yes, it uses the Ford truck power box. If you use just one u joint (not two like I did) then the angle of the column changes like you said. It changes because the Ford box is so much higher (see pic). The front of a stock column would go up, then on the other driver end the steering wheel would go down. Mine is like the diagram attached. I could angle my column back up using the u joint on the right side of the picture.

In the Fatman instructions he essentially agrees with what you are saying about a tilt. But what Fatman says is you can also solve the problem by using modern lower seats with a stock column.

I suppose you could also go with a modern, non tilt column and use a smaller than stock diameter steering wheel.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Are you planning on ordering a pair of those skirts? If you do, please let us know how they look and fit.

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I would like to know too!I have some originals that are kinda rough.

12. I have a pretty good set of originals. It's also a good option if you wanted to customize the skirts.

13. I wish I could work in a set of flush-fit skirts into my project but I'm already over budget. :)

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Mines just about finished, FINALLY DRIVING IT.

Attached Files:

15. Congrats, your car looks great. Are the front wheels chromed?

16. Lono

Lono

Mine's sitting waiting for me to get into the electrical. I hate electrical crap.. I'm fighting with my A Roadster wiring now but hope to be back on the 50 in a couple weeks.

About 4 weeks of work and I could have it road legal but need to sew up the 31 first.

17. Small steps of progress (but a lot of parts brought lately!). Today I did put my baby Lincoln on auto dollies to be able to move it so I could work on the other side...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  18. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Sloooooooow...... I haven't found one yet! :)

But I keep look'n!

19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Yes they are & the rear ones which you don't really see.

20. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Tomste and DemonSpeedShop, I really like those black, mildly customized mordors! :cool: If either of you have more pics over the net, would love to see them...

21. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I love the gloss flames over the flat black looks great!!!

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard Kaptain Kustom, I'd like to see more pics, Very Kool sled, it doesn't
    have to be chopped too be kool.

Happy Trails,

Mick

23. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Thanks for welcoming me, straykatkustoms!

Tomste, didn't catch in my eye that you were a Finn! Realized it when I saw your Merc today in Tampere, at a parking lot. It was looking cool, had to take a couple of photos for myself...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  24. Syrous

Syrous
    from Montreal

I'm losing my mind, has anyone of you done tihs to your merc?

[​IMG]

And if so can anyone give a quick tutorial on how to do this without haveing to cut the mounting brackets under the hood??

25. tallymercury

tallymercury

exk has, I think he made it a suicide. could be wrong (syrous). My 51 is in my garage. Im buying parts for I. I bought it as a shell. No bumpers, windows, hindges, seats, motor, trans, headlight or buckets, tail light you name it does not have. The person who chopped the top did a piss poor job, but he did cut it in decent places have to chop it again fix the crappy job and grind off about 1/2 inch of bondo. I guess stupid is what stupid does. I'll post pics tonight if I can.

26. If the price is right, then you can buy all better stuff. I ended up replacing my briz bumpers with a '50 front and a '51 rear.

27. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

Finally got some paint on mine in the process of putting it together and buffing it out. Should be done in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

28. Love that color! That blue jumps off the car!!!!

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Very very very nice coletta!!