Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I just Pm'd the boss ,,,,Ryan Hopefully he's up for the idea .......

2. kookee

kookee

I like the idea. Think of the Hot Rod Magazine Project X. If the "H.A.M.B." owned the car (aka Ryan) it would give the vehicle "ownership". Polling to start w/style & type of car, then perhaps vote on photoships of 3 or 4 styles offered, motors, etc. Perhaps it would be built as a drag car, then perhaps a couple years later transform into a lakes car, etc. Perhaps keep a second seat for those that have never ridden in one. But if you make it a road usable car, that is where I think people may get anxious over "ownership" or concerns that their donations filled someone elses pockets.

I think it would be better yet if there were HAMB classes, using the vehicle, where average HAMBers could learn skills, with proper direction, doing chassis work, body work, motor work, etc.

Sometimes honest actions can be misread by skepticism, but why not give it a shot.

3. I love it when a plan comes together ;)

My two cents ......

I like the idea of a community build with the intented use
    being a promotional car used at rallies & other functions
    to further exposure to the public & interest in the HAMB

Money comes & goes ......

A 'labor of love' can last & have long lasting significance :D

Again, I am in for free hauling of the body & parts as
    my schedule permits ;)

My thanks to other HAMBers willing to step up
    and help out ......

Jim

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

[​IMG]

COOL!!

Haha. That made me laugh. Thanks for your offer. Your handle Metalman suggests you'd be up to the task as well.

I really like this idea. I'd probably fly over to help work on it.

5. Okay, just my .02.....I think this coiuld work out in a very cool,manner. Where my opinion differs from many others who have posted is this; Instead of a "show" tour, how about taking the car to the HAMB Drags in the different areas, as well as some other events that attratc HAMBERS. Sell chances at Driving the danged thing at the event to HAMBERS, so lots of different people would get a chance to enjoy using the car. As for selling it at some point and donating the money to charity, I always encourage people to support worthy organizations, but, as stated earlier, this car could become the HAMB's Project X, a car that evolves through different builds, allowing different crews/teams to interpret the car in different ways. I think it's a great chance to do something awesome! But then again, that's just my .02. :D

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Animal. I'd also like this body fixed up and the car just "hang around with us" at as many events as possible. If someone wants to add or change something major it's raised and we vote on it.

7. choptvan

choptvan

I know I just started posting, but i noticed NOONE from colorado has posted yet? Unless I missed something? I live in the springs. Could help out if necessary. I have space to store it in the calahan, colorado area. And i have a shop. I am still learning on metal shaping, but have done quite a bit and even have a few customers cars to show for. Let me know.

As far as the skepticism goes, for all any of us know he could be trying to rip us off. But could we be trying to rip him off as well? Someone wrote that they would be willing to transport. Could he be to? I hardly know anyone on this board with the exception of a few. I do not think he is just talking some shit. IMO

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Just my oppinion and I know you mean well but I think you should have talked with Ryan before you asked us. This will put a lot of pressure on a guy who already has enough trying to balance what he should and shouldnt do to keep his forum going in the direction he wants.

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I'll step up and offer shop space to start. It doesn't need to remain in my shop, but its a central location to start with ( 25 miles north west of Indy) and there are a lot of members near here. Say, we shoot for getting the basic body work done and maybe a frame under it with donated time and then pass it along to someone who has shop space for the next phase. If Ryan approves, the goal can be to get it road ready and then auction it off for charity, maybe at the Hunnert Car Pile up or another HAMB friendly event. We out to be able to get a title along the way.

Another idea would be to trailer it to events all summer, where guys can put in a little work time during the event and maybe some venders can contribute some parts. Someone or group just needs to keep the focus on track, once the goal is determined.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think Ryan should be the project overseer either. Someone who's got a lot of time should have that job... preferably a retired person.

I like the support that I see already! Good goin' 32Ford5!

11. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

You're probably right. I hope not though. If it ends up being a hassle for anyone we'll just put it up in a auction and there will be no problem. I will help wherever possible. I do believe we can turn this into a really cool and stylish car. I'd like to see an aggressive 60s drag car. Big magnesiums, blower, set back engine...but will go with anything we all decide.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Every thing allowed to continue on this forum effects Ryan and the HAMB legally . Thats why I feel you should have asked him first before getting everyone excited and make Ryan make an unpopular descision if he has to.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

as far as putting it in someones name, and having someone make a final decision when the "drama" gets too thick to shovel, if Ryan gets on board and he has time, put it in his name and let him be the final decision. If he can create and run this great board, We know he will make the best decision, I think by this point he is well known to be trustworthy too. The other option is do what everyone here did for Hamb Andy, find a little kid who is sick and loves hotrods and build it for him, You can never go wrong doing that, look at how successful the hambAndy car was. That proves it can be done. How about someone take this on and involve a lot of kids who have cancer or other health problems? It might be the only chance they ever have to work on a hot rod.

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I hear you and again, I'm sorry if it that happens. I can always just sell the car for whatever I can get and we can start all over again in a more organised fashion. The spirit for this type of project has been clearly demonstrated though.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Two choices, hambdrags or hamb-a-salt...................

16. erlomd

erlomd

harsh words there...I belive thems is fightn' words!
    so I guess a real hot rod is a very expensive hobby that only the elite and financially fortunate can afford? should I be on the H.A.M.B. drinking some brandy and smokin' Partagas cigars?...(hell thats a good idea)
    common now, you cant be serious right?
    were is this rule written and who in their right mind would follow it?
    sounds like street rodder terminology there buddy...
    in my opinion, if you have love and passion for anything, then go ahead and do whatever you can to get it.
    hell, even if this was a scam, (which I personally dont care...i just wanna look at the build pics...) thats his bag! and his efforts to build something with whatever means necessary. just my two cents which dont mean a damn
    Old crow, Ive been to your shop and Love all the cool stuff you guys have there and what you guys are all about...but shit like this aint cool. just sayin'

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm waiting to see what Ryan says, but the point of this board is to promote the tradition of Hot Rods, in that spirit I definitely think kids should be involved somehow , this will allow them to do something they may never have the chance to do on their own. a lot of people have given up on the current generation, but there are still a lot of good kids out there who are interested in more then video games. if this actually happens I think it should be used to interest these young people in these cars. Thats an investment for everyone in the car hobby. If i wasn't in such a bad financial situation I would jump on this if it gave me the chance to interest kids in the car hobby,

18. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes!

19. Harris

Harris

32ford5 - You've got balls man, and I applaud you for your idea!

I believe this would be an amazing promotional piece for the the H.A.M.B., and would love to see it finished and know that I had some input into it's build. This would easily make the rags, and auctioning it off/raffling it off for charity - that's just cool.

Personally I don't live close enough to any major area/shop where this would end up being at, but I do have a few odd-ball parts and occasionally I've got some change in my pocket the wife don't know about; either or both of which I'd be willing to donate if it'd help.

I hope Ryan chime's in, his decision would be the deciding factor on whether or not this happens.

20. metalman

metalman

Yeah, I guess that's why I sorta vollenteered.

Here's another thought. There is a lot of labor involved here. I've rebuilt bodies like this and know how many hours are involved in that, let alone the chassis, motorwork ect. Instead of asking anyone to donate that much time and have the whole project "financed" by a few start a "Project H" fund. Take small donations of cash from the HAMB members in general. Solicite bids from shops owned by HAMBers and pick one and hire the work done. As many HAMB members there are if just a portion would donate $10 to $25 bucks each the cost would be minamal to each and no one person would end up putting a bunch into the project themselves. Not only does the car get built but it would stimulate the economy (everyone loves that phrase nowdays;)) of some of our own. Of course anyone willing to strictly donate time /materials wouldn't be discourged either. Does this make since? FWIW I'm not saying this to get hired, I don't want a job, I'm retired! I'd be willing to help just for the cause.

21. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

32ford5 - When I first read you rthread after you posted it, I was overwhelmed at the amount of logistics it would take to get this thing off the ground.
    After reading a few posts from the guys that said it couldn't happen, i would like to see it happen!
    I would like to see it built as a 60's Hot rod. (I would be willing to donate a Nailhead for it!)
    I would definitely like to see it built for charity work. Possibly to tour the country for wounded warriors or a children's hospital

22. I can pick it up and store it until a decision is made. Probably get it down to Texas ( my original home) too. Where is it now?

23. phlip

phlip

The body is on ebay now with 9 and a half hours to go... seems like a waste of time talking about it if the car sells.

24. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Big pics...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I've emailed Kary and asked that he stop the auction before I started this thread. If it sells the funds will be reinvested into another car to take it's place.

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

After reading the negative responses from certain members here, I'm starting to question just how much of a 'community' we really are.

Seems like some aren't reading the whole thread before offering their inebriated opinion.

I think this would be a wonderful opportunity for a long term labor of love project.

I applaud the OP for the generous offer...now how are we as a community going to pull this off?

I also can see Ryan reading this in his jammies this morning wonderin' how the hell to respond...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks for the offer. Wheat Ridge, CO

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Larry, I appreciate your (and everyone's) input. I think there's more than enough cool folks here to qualify this is a fantastic, rare and cool community.

If this idea grinds on Ryan we'll just auction it off and it will still be cool.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is all a little backward to me. The first thing that I think should have been done was speak to Ryan about this. Judging the man's character of the past 5 years I've known the JJ/HAMB I'm not sure he'd want to be involved with something confusing (both for logistics and its intention) like this.

Now, if this car was to be donated to the HAMB (Meaning Ryan) with the purpose of being built by HAMBers and raffled off to support the HAMB on completion, I could see that.

As well, I don't think there is any room for comparison to Andy's car here.

I do like your intention. However, I'd also like to see you get the car you bought. I have the feeling your difficulties with the car have allowed you to lose interest in it. Rather than give up, what would you need to get the car in your possession to work on?

30. Mac_55

Mac_55

Sounds like a very Generous offer from the OP and there are some great ideas flying around . There will always be some negatives and naysayers in any good idea.

I really really really like the idea of building it for a young person . Im sure the Make- A-Wish foundation has a young hotrodder on the list somewhere that would be very deserving of such a stupifying machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.