Register now to get rid of these ads!

E & J headlamp question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflatwilly, Apr 25, 2010.

1. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

I just bought a pair of E & J's at a swap meet and the older gentleman I bought them from said that he was selling them for his friend who took them off an old hot rod "a magazine car" he said. He didnt know much more and I forgot to ask for his friends name and number so I could call him. Anyhow, how can I tell if they are real or re-pops? They came with the mounts and wiring. I've been told that the trim on real ones are nickle not chrome but how can I tell? They are black shell with bright finished rings and purple lens. Any info would be grately appreciated?

THX

2. If ya dont mind how much did ya pay? I ran across some last week. The guy wanted a a cool $1200.00. He also had 1 Magnesium Haldibrandt for $950.00. He was about 80 years old and will probably be buried with the stuff. I think he just likes to get people to ask how much.

3. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I think the repops are cast aluminum (I think originals are steel?)...and generally don't fit together well. If the nickel is polished up nice still I think it should be a bright shine as opposed to chromes typical "blue" and warmer shine. I could be wrong, though.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Originals were Aluminum,... I had Frank Mack's 3 extra pairs, at one time,.. I haven't seen the re pops up close, but I would assume they would have trouble with the Bronze tag on top and plug at the back of the headlight,..... I don't remember for sure, but I am fairly certan the ring was aluminum as well,.......

If he was trying to elude that these came off Franks car,.... he would be dead wrong. The Headlights that are on the Frank Mack car, are the ones that have been there sence day one.
    I know this for a fact.

Here is a never before seen picture of one E&J headlight taken apart on Franks car, from Frank's cigar box of pictures. (Frank was one of the craftiest people I had ever known)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Somewhere around here I have some really good detail pictures of original E&J's. If I find them I will post them.

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

OK. I noticed two things from Harms Way's post.

A. I was wrong.:eek:

B. With the repops, I don't think they have the inside bits that keep the light in place. Unless speedway is repopping...then just wait a few months for them to fail. :D Just kidding.

The brass tag would also be a good sign of originals, I would think.

8. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

9. younggun13

younggun13

1. No I wasn't eluding to Frank's. The old timer I bought them from only said they were from his friends car and his car was in a magazine. I wish I asked his friends name though.

2. these are either in great condition / well restored / or the best quality repops that were available in the early days.

Is it true they didn't make the repops with purple lenses? I will post some pictures, what do you think? I don't know if I should open them up, will it wreck them?

10. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

OOPS it looks like my son loged on since the last time I was at the computer!!!

1. No I wasn't eluding to Frank's. The old timer I bought them from only said they were from his friends car and his car was in a magazine. I wish I asked his friends name though.

2. these are either in great condition / well restored / or the best quality repops that were available in the early days.

Is it true they didn't make the repops with purple lenses? I will post some pictures, what do you think? I don't know if I should open them up, will it wreck them?

11. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Here are the pictures:

Attached Files:

12. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Beautiful! Nice score bro. What are you going to put them on?

13. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Not to sure yet. I bouncing between my 29 model A or my 33 Rockne 10 (studebaker).

14. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Most definitely originals and damn nice ones at that!!!!

Congrats those are killer!!

15. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

Thanks man, I have seen them around here and there at swap meets for around $1,800 or so for beat up originals. So when I saw these ones in this condition at $900 It was a hard decision and a gamble but I figured if they are repops they are damn good quality ones!

16. Very nice, put 'em on the Stude.

17. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Those look pretty nice i'd say you did ok on those at 900.00.

It looks like they should come apart pretty easy since thay are so nice and clean.

Bolt them down to something stationery to hold the bottom half. Loosen the button in the back and the top should just lift off.

The top doesn't lift straight up you'll have to lift up on the back end and pull back. There's a lip on the front that slides under the chrome ring in the front. If that makes sense.

18. 61bone

61bone

Can't help it. They look like gonads with eyeballs to me.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You make it sound like there's something wrong with that............:D

Ray

20. saltflatwilly

saltflatwilly
    from MASS

So it looks like the real deal I guess!?!

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The purple hue you see in the lense is a sign that the glass is OLD. Something about impurities in the glass turning purple from prolonged exposure to UV light. I had an old pair of Franklin headlights that had the same subtle purple hue. Good score!

22. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Looks like it to me. I've yet to see a set of repops that dosent look just....I dunno. Weird. Very hard to fit together and not clean like that. Those look like the real deal to me.
    But if you're not happy with em....I'd give ya 950. :)

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

old glass is naturally a bit green, they used manganese (?SP) to make the glass clear. the manganese makes them purple after prolonged exposure to the sun. same thing with old bottles. starting in 1915 something else was used that didn't change the color.

24. playtag

playtag

There was a set at Carlisle on Saturday for $1200.00 looked pretty close the condition of the top photos posted by KornBinder.except the lenses looked more purple.Really nice lights!Price doesn't matter if your happy with them.

25. Both the real deal and a very good price...for their condition, you damn near stole them.
    The first set I ever saw was at Hershey in 1976. The guy also had a complete set of Woodlites with the matching cowl lights and wanted two grand for pair of E&J's and three grand for the 4 Woodlites.

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Congratulations,.... They look great,.. What are you going to put them on ?

In conversation with Frank, he told me the headlights were never a question, and the car was built with them in mind ( Like everything Frank did,.. He seen it finished in his mind before he started), they look good on only certain cars,... the others,.. Ah, not so much (IMHO).

Frank always told people they were from a "1927 Jordan Playboy" which I believe they were a option for,.... This picture is a candid shot of the morning of the photo shoot for the ISCA "Show World" program. The Foster Deuce was trailered, Frank drove his car there,.... He always liked it with the top on the best,.... I did to.

[​IMG]

27. Heo

Heo

repros are easy to make cut of a right size melon
    and put a flashligth in it:D
    sorry but it hink they are but ugly
    The purple glas is something wrong
    with the glas turns purple when
    it get old got some 37 Ford lenses
    that turned purple and some chevy 35
    lenses to

28. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Nice lights you have there. The original lights are marked Detroit-Mich. USA on the rear tag.
    So your lights are the real deal.

29. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Reminds me of the NOS in the box pair for $100 I passed on some years back while on vacation in western NY. I did buy the nice used pair he had for $50 though. Ahh hindsite.

Lee

30. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

If you ever decide to open the case of them you may get lucky and find the instructions in a small vanilla envolope taped inside of one of the housing.