Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. curt81

curt81

Bob McConell lives in Urbana Oh....

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

He also finished 13th at PHX. 1968.

Attached Files:

3. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Rootie, Thanks again for the pictures and the Open Wheel article. Wow this stuff brings back great memories.

B99, "Golden Era" is right.....I consider myself both blessed and privileged to have been part of that.

curt81, Thanks one of these days I'm gonna take a ride out that way and look him up.

Denny Z

4. curt81

curt81

Let me know if you need anything.....my friends at Classic Craft restore and take care of his cars.

5. Are you the one of the Zimmerman Brothers that ran with Opp?

6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

brian26, Nope wasn't me, but Hello. Denny Z

7. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Hi Denny,

One last question about the colors on your No. 59-were the numbers outlined in red?

Photos of No. 59 from URC races in 1966. Bobby Adamson is in the No. 35; Gene Tallman in the No. 43. The last photo is of the Collings car that you drove in 1968, Reading, March 31; I believe that was its first time out.

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT Stuff guys! Keep it up!

Hey Curt81, missed ya sneaking in there. Good to see you fella's from Classic Craft on here. Tell all I said hi, and thanks for the HATS!!

Denny Z, it's a pleasure and an Honor. Thanks for jumping in. There is no better knowledge than "First hand"! Thanks, look forward to your contributions.

---------------------

Next, This is for Roy Caruthers (Racer5c). The Pomble brothers that I am in B.A.R.C. with brought this to me to post. Figured you'd get a kick out of it.

To all: BE SURE TO READ THE NAMES OF THE KIDS RACING!! ..and age!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Denny, Welcome aboard, found these in my families negatives from one of our many trips to Indy. I know they're not sprints but it will give some people an idea of your past racing history and figured I'd post them to welcome you aboard ....Rich

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I goofed and hit the wrong key SORRY, and here they are!...Rich

Attached Files:

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

OldBill,,,,,I think ? they were outlined in red....and five more pic's I didn't have, thanks.

Joshua, Thanks and Hello, neat article on Jimmy and Danny...hmm Shaw are you related.

RABs32, Thanks and Hello couple more pic's I didn't have

Denny Z

12. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Right on, B99 and Rootie. In 1968 Joe Hunt and Gary B. agreed to honor Tony B. by painting the Hunt dirt champ car identical to Tony's famous Belanger #99 -- hence the dark blue and gold #99. Same year the car became the last dirt champ car entered in the 500. Following some sort of dust-up with Norm Demler regarding "who owned the number 99", the Hunt car became #47. The intention was to run a turbo-Offy. That didn't happen, but Gary did pass the first two phases of his Indy drivers test in the car turning laps at 149+, probably the fastest official laps ever turned by a dirt champ car at the Speedway. If anyone can add to this story, please let me know.

Attached Files:

13. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Hi Denny welcome aboard Bill Courtwright Bobby's son I posted a picture you had given him when you left to go run USAC.

Attached Files:

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

racerbillyc, Thanks I remember your Dad he was a great driver. Denny Z

15. The young man standing with his helmet on is Mike Olivero, cousin to Bobby. Mike is a little older. I remember having some good battles with both the Olivero cousins at the So Cal QM tracks.

[​IMG]

16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

It seems to me that I remember hearing a story about Gary saying that the wind rushing around him was so strong that he thought it was going to tear his uniform off.

17. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Hi Denny;
    Good to hear from you after all these years! Those were some great years running at the Fairs with URC.. I still miss guys like Louis K., his wife Florence, Don Wilson, Wimpy,lol, and so many others.
    Thats a great idea to have a reunioun for all ofbus olf farts. lol.
    Will talk again real soon i hope;
    Jim, a.k.a Spike

18. Race Artist

Race Artist

These little roadsters are great. There was another one offered back then that looked more like an early body T. I've not been able to find any information on them. Anyone have anything? I recall seeing one among a gang of QM's on a Hot Rod cover at the time.
    Joel

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't have any info on it but you're probably refering to #58 at the bottom with the full tuck and roll upolstery. Even the QMs had class back then.

Attached Files:

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

CLASSIC HOT ROD cover! Still amongst my favorites!

21. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Does anyone know where I can get the 1962 USAC Chevy V8 engine specs? I'm restoring two sprinters from the era that raced at Ascot. They were both USAC compliant cars. I know they had a cubic inch limit and that many were 327 blocks with 283 cranks. I need to know the bore limitatons, head specs and cams that were allowed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  22. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Denny,
    Welcome aboard! Have not seen you in a while. I usually see Frank Fiore a couple of times a year, he is an official at Williams Grove. Sprinter2 and I went to the Grove last nite for the Hinnershitz memorial . Your name comes up often. Did you know that Gene Angelillo passed away last month? We are going to continue to campaign the car in his memory. You need to get down here!
    Joe Fiore

23. Race Artist

Race Artist

That's the one, thanks. My dad built us a number of go-karts that we raced but that little track roadster was the one I wanted. Thanks again.
    Joel

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You might try to get in touch with Rollie Bealle, former USAC champion who became a USAC official after his driving career. He lives in Toledo Ohio.

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

wynns #1, Hello, yes I knew about Gene, I'm sure he would be happy his car is still competing and doing well. Your right one of these days I will show up. I went to whip city today to watch a practice session they had. I might even get lucky and get a ride one of these days. Good to talk to you. Denny Z

26. Graystoke

Graystoke

A photo for Joey!
    [​IMG]

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Joe I found this shot on the Grove board.found it while searching for some shots of a few modifieds I painted for a few friends they were mixed in these shots from middletown....Rich

Attached Files:

28. wynns #1

wynns #1

RABS32
    Interesting photo. Harry had flipped the car a week earlier at Flemington and after 6 fun years, parted company. Borrowed a wing from Charlie Svetec, put Will Cagle in the car, started last and won the feature at Weedsport that nite. The other photo is Tommy Price at Williams Grove. Thanks for the memories!!

29. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Joe do you have any pictures of the midget you restored for Ray?

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

there was also this one for any of the Scat's fans on here....Rich

Attached Files: