Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Customer service?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Feb 22, 2010.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I figured I'd write and let everyone know that I had THE WORST customer service experience ever with my order from Vintage Speed. I ordered 3 Stromberg rebuild kits and some other items online, gave my credit card, got a confirmation email which I printed, etc.

I then waited over a week, and nothing in my mailbox. Since then, I called and left 2 messages, wrote 2 emails, which none were returned. I finally get a hold of Charlie today and he says he was going to go out to the shop and he would call me right back to let me know what was going on with my order. 2.5 hours later I decide to call, because believe it or not- MY time is worth something.His wife (or whoever she is) answers the phone and says nothing has been shipped, and her answer? "I don't know why".

She then proceeds to say "you're the one that wrote the emails right?" (ya know, the ones that were never replied to). Treated me like someone that was annoying her, told me my order has not been shipped, she doesn't know why, and basically why the fuck are you calling me. I cancelled my order, will NEVER do business there ever again, and feel downright disrespected. I cannot believe people that care so little about the ones that order from them are still doing business.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Felt like I had to earn the right to buy a linkage I needed from them last year. Nice parts for a 4x2 set up, but service was 3rd rate and big $$$.

3. choprodinc

choprodinc

anyone else have problems with Vintage Speed? I was going to order some parts, but if I'm gonna have to pull the order and ship it myself.....

4. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

For all the many people who can supply you with good Stromberg rebuild kits, and good service, there's just no reason to even look at Charlie's stuff. He's been treating people poorly for years. Most of what he has for sale, you can get it from someone else, and sometimes for less.

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

[​IMG] Re: Vintage Speed
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Do a search... Vintage Speed isn't a great place to do business with.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Ryan Cochran
    (Notes from the road)
    "Skating the same line since 1976..."

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Sorry to hear that you had terrible service with Vintage Speed..Charlie Price..I have never had an issue with him. I've been buying from Charlie for years, and he takes care of me..I wonder if you gave him a attitude. One bad problem with him doesn't mean you'll have more..
    Give him a chance..
    Yes, there are lots of other places to ge parts. The other side of that is, most places don't carry what he has. I wouldn't burn bridges with him, usless it is only a one time shot..
    My opinion..
    Duane..

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Duane,
    I went with him on a referral. Read stuff here on the boards, but figured I'd give them a shot anyway. I spoke with Charlie, and he seemed to be a fine Gent, but the customer service was just not there. I own 3 businesses, all of which are customer service based. Nothing personal, I was just treated poorly as a customer.

My money and two weeks of my time was a hassle for them- point blank. No return call, no order shipped, no parts. Im as patient as they come. I think this is the 2nd time I have swore off a parts supplier in many years, that says something.

Maybe I caught them on a bad month- who knows. I do know that my business is appreciated elsewhere.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've placed a few orders over his website. Always had a quick turnaround and never has a problem with anything.

9. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

I think he's a DICK .

10. LowFat48

LowFat48

contact Uncle Max here on the HAMB for the rebuild kits , he`ll treat you right.

brokenspoke likes this.
  11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, I stopped buying from him about 8 years ago because of this kind of bullshit.

12. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

it took 33 long distance phone calls to get my original parts back. i would not do business with him again on a dare!

13. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Four words that don't go together: "Vintage Speed" & "Customer Service".

14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found the guys at the Hot rod Company to be great to deal with and they are an Alliance vendor............give em a try

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/

15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

He has 5700 sales and 100% positive feedback on eBay since 1999. Maybe he only cares about his eBay sales. eBay name: "realrodder" I bought from him on eBay and the shipping was a little slow.

16. Befrank

Befrank
    from arkansas

I was going to call tomorrow about shafts and butterflys for 2gc carbs. Who else sells these?

17. Muttley

Muttley

Do yourself a favor if you do decide to order from him.....................if/when his wife answers hang up and try again later. I wont be a repeat customer.

18. rawkinbones13

rawkinbones13
    from Mobile, Al

Finally, someone who feels my pain. I ordered the hard line kit from him for my 3 strombergs. I wanted to actually talk to the guy before I placed my order just to iron out all the details. The one and only time I was able to reach him on the phone was after business hours. And he kept saying "I'm not in the shop, order it online". After finally just placing my order it took 11 days before I was finally able to reach someone on the phone, the girl everyone keeps referring to, and she told me my order has shipped and it did actually arrive that day. I called several times during those 11 days I either got the girl or the machine. Every time the girl answered she said she would get Charlie to call me. I never got one email response.

The turnaround time wasn't all that bad considering he had to hand build my stainless fuel lines, weld them together then sand, buff and polish them. But DAMN, it's not difficult to return a telephone call once in a while.

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Charlie Price is an asshole.

20. I bought a few pieces from him on e-pay for much less than the prices on his site (??????) and they were shipped promptly. Each time I bought something I crossed my fingers and hoped I wouldn't have a problem. It looks like he definitely treats his e-pay customers better.......

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've had good luck with them. Some carb people only want to build carbs for you. Charlie wanted to sell me his end carb bases like most businessmen but when he realized that I wanted to do it myself, he was very helpful giving me advice on how to do the job right. I ordered all the parts and they came in a timely manner.

It can be hard to get past the "gate keeper" but once you do he was very helpful. I ordered parts online without talking to anyone 2 weeks ago and they came in the mail just like every time before.

Being in business once myself I realize that you can't please everyone every time as hard as you try. We expect perfection every time and get upset when something goes wrong.

I can only speak on my experiences which have all been positive. I'd bet that there are more satisfied customers but they don't usually speak up. There is no need to.

22. Crease

Crease

Wow, The "Charlie is great" crowd has finally gone from majority to minority.

Like I always tell folks. Dont worry if they take forever to get here, there not gonna work anyway!

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, all ya gotta do is look at the old threads to see the negatives, a lot of us have stopped commenting on every Charlie thread... I've been done with him for years...

24. Right zman, there has to be 100 threads in the last ten yearrs about his crappy service! I will give Charlie credit though, he holds the record for staying in business in spite of himself. If his name was Marty he would have gone through 10 buisnes names by now (hint search Eelco/NW Speed also) ;)

25. Deathtrap

Deathtrap
    from Cali

This guy deserves to be bashed (again). From personal experience, he doesn't have a clue what the words "Courtesy" or "Customer Service" mean.

26. dragster96

dragster96
    from minnesota

I bought some small 2gc carb stuff. I emailed him a question before purchase, never got an answer. I did get my order in about two weeks. Nothin's cheap these days unless it's made in China. It's always good to have good customer service, but usually adds to the price.

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I also have heard way too many BAD things about them too ! It's really sad to let your business go down the tubes like that !
    I did a search also and there are many other places to deal with that really want your business ! There are also some places to buy from right here on the HAMB Too ! If I remember right there has been a few discussions about the crappy service and taking forever to get a parts from them .
    Good Luck with your build !

Retro Jim

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Service there was never good.

29. Crease

Crease

Amen Tman and Zman

BTW, not sure if he's still in business, but Rudolph Faltemeier is the man when it comes to rebuilding 97s and 94s. His son does the Rochester stuff, good folks, great product and they even treat you well! I've sent MANY folks his way and all were highly satisfied.

Rudolf Faltermeier
    150 Rock Bridge Rd
    Spartanburg, SC 29307
    864-463-6052

30. There is something very confusing about these comments pertaining to Charley Price at Vintage Speed. I'm one of those kind of guys that had the misfortune to have been born with a "Quick Trigger", and always seemed to pick the wrong time, wrong thing, and wrong person to deal with. It wasn't this way for me when dealing with Vintage Speed, and Charley Price. The packing has always been very good, products have been of Good Quality, and his demeanor as well as that of the lady that I talked to has always been polite, and items were always sent in a reasonable span of time. I never detected any 'attitude' on his part, or the lady that I also talked to. I am hard to please, but have always been pleased here. I don't want to come off as 'waving the flag' for Vintage Speed, it's just that I have been treated well.
    later...........firstnomad