Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANZAC, the true greats.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is ANZAC Day?
    Australian &
    New
    Zealand
    Army
    Corps.
    On the morning of April 25 1914, landed by the British Navy on the wrong Gallipoli beach they faced an enemy and a terrain that had previously been discounted as impossible to land on.
    <O:p</O:p
    By daybreak the ANZAC forces had formed a large beach head and pushed the entrenched Turkish back a considerable distance. For the next 8 months the ANZAC forces held their land often taking enemy trench systems in attack and in turn being pushed back by the Ottoman Turks.
    Over 8000 Australians and New Zealanders died on the Gallipoli Peninsula, during that 8 months, no one knows how many Turks were lost.
    The ANZAC forces withdrew under the cover of darkness, the Turks did not know until every allied soldier was off the Gallipoli Peninsula.
    Although Militarily considered a loss there was still a great respect for these soldiers that landed on, took and held a beach head that was considered impossible to take. This action was the first for ANZAC forces and is remembered to this day for the comradery, mateship and sacrifice that the average soldier demonstrated.
    To this day all soldiers that serve overseas are remembered on this day, this is ‘Our Day’, where Veterans have key to the city. Celebrations include a dawn service, a march for Veterans, this closes off entire city centers in all capitals as we march through the city, and then a day at the local Returned Serviceman’s League (RSL like your VFW).<O:p</O:p
    Here we drink to fallen mates, on this most special day.
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,<O:p</O:p
    We will remember them,<O:p</O:p
    LEST WE FORGET.

RoddyB34 likes this.
  2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Deuces

Deuces

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

To the names and faces of those that will never grow old,... and those that live on in our heats,... Here's to your fallen mates.Cheers !

God bless you all on this day and throughout the year.

5. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I just watched a movie/documentary about the boys that fought in Gallipoli. Unbelievable how both sides totally underestimated the other. Some real tough guys though. Hats off.

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
    George S. Patton

AMEN.....Here's to you, your country, your veterans past and present and ANZAC Day.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Very true,..... However for those that worked with these men,... and were with them as they drew there last breath,.... one is impossible without the other, And they meet under the act of "Honoring them"
    I think the act of mourning these fallen comrades, is indeed being thankful to God for there life's and there sacrifice. (IMHO)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. belair

belair

Well said, Doc and Harm. You ought to mention who the Turkish commander who lead the Turks, who he became, Doc. He wasn't some hack the ANZACs faced. We are in the debt of those we never knew.

9. Amen Brother....

Heading to the Shrine in 3 hrs time. Some pix from my collection, Ill try and get some of tdays proceedings up later today....

LEST WE FORGET....

BTT

Rat

Attached Files:

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you man!

I miss the Shrine, I was offered 'Senior Custodian' of it when I got out of the Army, too broken to take up the position. Bugger.
    I'm a little lost today, not wearing my Medals or anything designating me as a Veteran.
    Just going to enjoy the day.

Doc.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Thanks for the thread and the reminder Doc.....

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Hurricane, center pic bottom row, thats Stanford Tuck one of the leading aces of the Battle of Britain.

13. Yep...one of my favorite pix from the BoB .....

Nice one !

Rat

14. Lest we forget the soldiers...............thanks for the reminder.

15. kiwiboy

kiwiboy

Thanks Doc, living so far away one forgets what day it is, Lest we Forget

[​IMG]

16. Greatest respects and gratefull thanks!
    Bill.

17. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

We should also remember the many digger's keeping the peace throughout today's theatre's in our thoughts.

Great stuff Doc. Thanks.

Perhaps you can explain to our friends what the Aussie troops are doing in the photo. I believe this was an Australian invention.

Attached Files:

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was indeed an Aussie invention.
    When the ANZAC troops were held in their trenches the volume of fire kept them down, anyone who popped up above the parapet would be shot such was the superior numbers of the Turks.
    One ingenious soldier perfected a way to return fire without exposing one's self above the trench wall.
    He took two mirrors, a couple of lengths of wood from the ration shipments and built a periscope. It was then refined to hold a rifle so they could aim accurately and return fire all while remaining safely below the trench wall.

This was then taken even a step further when the ANZACS pulled out. They rigged a tin can that dripped water slowly into a lower tin can. That can built up weight until a piece of string tied to the trigger and to the can had enough weight to pull the trigger. Using this they fooled the Turks for much of a day after they had pulled out of Gallipoli Cove.
    Losses were minuscule on the withdrawal as it was accomplished after dark and the 'Water Trigger' maintained the return firs so that no one they had pulled out.

Doc.

19. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

To all of our Australian and New Zealand friends and comrades in arms, a hearty "THANK YOU" for your gallant defense of liberty and freedom. We average Americans treasure your continued friendship, in spite of the current administration.

I would gladly serve alongside any ANZAC troops!

Philip E. Maynard
    USAF 1971-75

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thank you gentlemen.
    I did some "ops" with the Aussies in 80/81 and wouldnt hesitate to reccomend them to the highest. Hardest workin,Hardest partien,Funniest bunch of Men I ever had the pleasure to be around.
    Tally Ho, Mates.
    I'll be hoistin a tribute pint shortly.

21. Lest We Forget, thanks for putting this up Doc.

22. Good on yer , Doc.
    It is indeed a speacil day of rememberance.

Hey, you sure it was you guys and not us that invented that periscope?
    lol, joking.

Now go crack open a cold beer and have one for those who are fighting overseas!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  23. Zeke

Zeke

For those of us that have lost comrades i arms I think you put that perfectly

24. 35desoto

35desoto

Lest we should forget
    Went to the dawn service at Auckland Museum this morning
    A very fitting tribute to the armed forces starting with Gallipoli through WW2 to Korea and then Vietnam. We are a small nation of some 4.5 million people yet we privide some of the finest service men and women world wide. There are just over 600 of our boys and girls serving in peace keeping roles and I must presume our Aussie comrades are in a similar position

For when the sun goes down and rises we shall remember

I'm proud to be a Kiwi - for we can hold our head up high

25. Guys,

Here are some pix from this mornings ceremony at the Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne , Australia, a great day once again.

LEST WE FORGET

Rat

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I'm heading down to the fridge after writing this to grab a cold one so I can drink to the memory of those brave ANZACs who didn't make it home, and to honor those who did.

27. A few more....

Rat

Attached Files:

28. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Thanks Doc and Rat for this.

I think it is vital that we pass this tradition and most of all meaning of this day on to our children and grandchildren so that they may also appreciate the commitment and love these soldiers had for our country.

Have a great day guys!

Lest we forget.

HeyyCharger.

29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

yup. Lest We Forget!
    Geoff aka whodaky