Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a "Rat Rod" :( into a Hot Rod :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Just stumbled onto this thread. After reading every post and seeing every picture, I can say nice work! Personally, it is not for me, but what I am building is not for anyone else! I do feel that you are going to get some rat rod comments still, but there are worse things that could happen. Shit, if a trash can with a B&S 4 horse is what gets you goin, then drive it! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

2. The whole thing is bad ass, the height, the style, the fact its all hand made and made out of a need to change from the trendy rat rod to a stylish more traditional looking car. Its a great project all around from any angle, great work.

3. Keep

Keep

I cannot believe someone was stupid enough to actually drive that thing.

Glad to see you are killing it.

4. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

Hell, I'm 37 and I know what youre talking about!

5. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I've got a little more done on it but I have been trying to get other peoples cars back together for summer. Its running and driving now, I've worked out all the bugs so all thats left is body work and interior.

6. freebird101

freebird101

awesome, cant wait to see the interior, what are the color choices

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Found out some cool ideas with this build also. You can fit a 6 fuse (parts store) fuse box into a 53-54 chevy voltage regulator box and it hides everything, and the second bench out of a older style dodge caravan fits perfect into a model A. This is also gonna be a family car to putt around town in so I put the back seat in for my little girl.

8. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I'm gonna try to match the original greenish gray mohair, (it won't be mohair) but it will look as close as possible. I don't want to loose the race car appeal so I am gonna keep it very simple.

9. Great idea with the fusepanel! I gots to try that! Awesome save on the car too man, weld done!

-Shiny

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

when are you hoping to get the interior in it....? Sounds like things are going pretty good.... your doing great......

11. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Thanks guys!!, I'm gonna work on it some tonite, I hope to have it done in like a week or two, but I have to rebuild a 218 for a friend in the meantime. My goal is to have everything done for this year by May 22 Pacemakers show.

12. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

got my new helmet for the 22nd. haha

Attached Files:

13. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

got it stained up, still need to do some more lite sanding and clear coat, then glass and interior

Attached Files:

14. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

15. Anderson

Anderson

Building materials aside, you have done one hell of a job fixing this car. I like it a lot.

16. Wow, sounds like a cool guy. Wish I knew people like that. You should try and get close to him maybe he could teach you some cool things.

17. Wow, that looks amazing! Great work!

18. cyclejim

cyclejim

dude would like to buy a40 chevy that runs and make hot rod pm me

19. Man, who cares if you didn't use the "best" wood. That thing looks awesome. I'm impressed. The best thing is, It's only wood. when you get the itch to redo it in 15 years, you can just start over.

job well done.

20. nikwho

nikwho

What a transformation! Good job, keep up the good work. What are you doing for the interior?

21. Ever seen the classifieds section on this site?

22. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Looking good! It has come a long way!

23. Big Fat Daddy

Big Fat Daddy
    from California

So a '32 Ford with a Corvette Rear-End, a Chevy 350, and a Non-Era Paint job isn't considered a "Rat Rod"??????

24. freebird101

freebird101

25. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Looks good!
    It definitely would have been cooler to see you use some old school woodworking techniques. I would have used some tongue and groove joints, dovetail joints and choose a better material than pine and oak veneer plywood.
    The only thing that bothers me about the look is the top. The slope of the roof almost kills it for me. Other than that good job, it looks a 100% better

26. Jax2A

Jax2A

At first I didn't like your roofline but I gotta say it turned out much better than I expected. Looking forward to seeing it in person... but what show is at Pacemakers on May 22nd? Their website shows the Buckeye Rod Builders on May 15 but nothing for the 22nd?

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you have done an outstanding transformation. will you be adding any trim wood to the rear quarterpanel (like the door) as most woodies had (to break up the large panel)? I think adding the middle horizontal piece into the rear qtr so it flows all the way back, tieing it all together. and maybe one or two vertical.

you have done good.

28. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Sounds like a Street Rod, but then again so does a Chevette.:)

Nice job DirtyWoody. Looks like a blast.

29. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455647&highlight=may+22

this is what I was going off of. Let me know if its actually the 15.