Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Galaxie sedan with Swing-Away Steering Wheel ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55olds88, Apr 22, 2010.

1. 55olds88

55olds88

has anyone ever seen this before ? I just bought one in from the USA and was very surprised to see this in a 4 door sedan ?? Anyway to tell if it was originally optioned ?

2. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

a picture would help!!

3. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I have never heard of that... Had a lot of Galaxies....Maybe swapped in from a T-bird?

4. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'm no expert but I've only seen it on the Thunderbirds. If I can find a copy of the 63 lit on the Galaxie I'll look if it was mentioned, but I'm afraid that is at the bottom of a big stack of magazines and it may take a while to find it.

5. cracker head

cracker head

Yes they came in the galaxies, it was a rare option.

6. Maco-B

Maco-B

T-bird's yes . Galaxies never saw that from FoMoCo.

7. 55olds88

55olds88

if it were factory fit would it be marked on build tag or anything ? sorry I haven't owned a US ford before, it sure looks original.

8. Diamond N

Diamond N
    from Indiana

Hi...

Yes...'Swing Away Wheel' was an option in 1963-64 on full size Fords, but had to be ordered along with power steering and 'Cruise-O-Matic Drive'

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  9. 55olds88

55olds88

cool, we got Crusie-A-Matic and power steer and 352 pretty well optioned car for a more door.

thanks for that.

10. 61TBird

61TBird

It's Cruise-O-Matic....:rolleyes:

Please post pics of the column and the shift indicator on top of the column.

11. merc1960 had a 63 with swingaway I had to drive up just to see it. but it real and was stock and in a boxtop 63 no less. also have seen these in mustangs.

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had a '67 Mustang fastback with a swing-away-tilt wheel that came from the factory that way, I know because I ordered it that way. I had a 289, 4 speed and power steering. I have had more than one arguement with the so called Mustang experts telling that it wasn't available. I am here to tell you that it did exist, I paid for it and it was it the car when I took delivery. I don't think it was a very common option, but it was available if you knew how to order it. The existence of it in other models is no surprise to me.

13. 61TBird

61TBird

The "Swing-Away Wheel" was a totally different set-up in '67.
    It "tilted" up and to the right,NOT slide to the right like the '61-'66 Tbird.
    Ford changed it in '67 to the one that tilts up and to the right.

14. Domino

Domino

Definitely available in the Galaxies. The dash is slotted so the column can slide and the entire pedal assembly bracket is unique to this setup. Cars that came with a console had a delete plate where the shifter was. I believe 63 was the first year in Galaxies. It was not available in 62. This link shows a lot of pics. The owner went through a lot of trouble to convert his back to stock. http://www.kuumakyyti.com/ragtop64/index.htm

15. I had a '64 Galaxie 500 (not an XL) with the slide away steering option. Pretty rare option I'm sure, especially if you have it on a '63 4 door.

16. Heo

Heo

got that for my 64 fastback when i bougth it and a friend have
    one 64 fastback with it factory mounted

17. Sounds like a real find. How about some pics? :D

18. In the 1960s you could still pretty much go to a dealer and say "I want this" and they'd build it how you wanted.

19. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Seen 1 in a 63 4 door post at a swap meet in Ft Worth last year, 1'st time I seen one in a fullsize.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a female customer with a '63 box-top Galaxie tudor. I worked on the car, and noticed that the steering mast was loose...I looked under the dash, and discovered it had a swingaway option! (she didn't realize it either, bought the car used) The left engine mount was broken, and the position of the engine wouldn't allow the 'park' position of the selector to release the steering to swing away.
    Replaced the mount, adjusted the linkage, and became her 'hero'.
    Would love to convert my '63-1/2 Galaxie to this.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

From the original '64 dealer sales lit. This one is shown in a Galaxie.

Attached Files:

22. 55olds88

55olds88

Thanks for all the info guys, will try and get a pic on here monday, I was really surprised, talked to some folks down here in NZ had never heard of it in a Galaxie let alone a 4 Door.....

23. Yep, buddy of mine had a 64 four door hardtop (LTD maybe?) with a swingaway and a 'formal' roof on it - real small back window 1' by 2 1/2' and the rest padded vinyl.

24. We are kind of isolated in this part of the world...

The earlier comment about getting just about anything one wanted back when your Ford was new is quite true. I wrote a story about all of this in NZ Classic Car back in the early '90s as I was getting tired of so-called experts (who always seemed to have a heavy Midlands, UK accent) telling me that the dealer-installed (Reynolds Buick, Covina CA) dual quads on my nailhead, as well as other factory accessories on the car, were incorrect! :eek:

Will keep an eye out for your Galaxie, as I live just south of you. Sounds like a cool ride.

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You might be isolated but you can get the Holden Maloo and we can't.

26. I've discovered that there are many variations on Aussie and Kiwi Fords that aren't well known Mainly IMO due to them not being American made cars and hence better documented. Prior to 1965 and the Auto pact most Fords ( Non British) for down under were built in Oakville Ontario Canada. Even the Ford Canada VIN's show whether the cars was right or left hand drive. Early 60's Fords used Edsel dashes leftover from the Oakville cars. The "Star" model used Canadian Meteor trim in some cases.
    Even Meteor history is not well known, I think Ford Canada's site even has a few inaccuracies! So beware the "experts"!

As for the tilt away. Yep as others have said it was available in Fords and Mercs in '63 '64 a buddy of mine had a '64 Merc with it. I don't think you could get it with "deluxe air conditioning" on the Mercury though, as the dash was different due to the integral fold out vents.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  27. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

You learn something new every day don't you!!!!

28. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I had a 63 1/2 Galaxy that had an Aluminum front end hood and fenders I know what you mean about the "experts" because I don't know how many times I been told 63 fords didn't have aluminum parts unless it was the "light weight" all aluminum body for drag cars.well mine was steel except for the nose the trunk floor even rusted out enough for the gas tank to drop.I don't know if any other parts like doors or trunk lid were aluminum 63 1/2 Galaxy 427 4 speed posi with bench seat interior second owner.

29. 62rebel

62rebel

whoever was the lucky bastard that bought my '63 1/2 sportsroof from Butch Eaton in Chatham Va got a trunk filled with some rare parts, including a complete dash and column for swingaway that i took out of another '63 4dr... i transferred the power seat mechanism over to the sportsroof and was planning on doing the dash. i also had the entire power window changeover from the 4dr to add. also about 4 complete sets of brakes, good taillights, extra grille and headlight bezels.... that trunk was packed FULL of goodies.

i couldn't sell that car for my asking price of 1800 bucks in 1993. my, how times have changed.

30. garcoal

garcoal

i have 66 tbird with a swing away steering wheel . you will learn to really like it. they make it so easy to get out of your car im surprised they didnt develop it further. also known as the fat man wheel