Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 crank in a sj 327?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainh8r, Apr 22, 2010.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

I've got a nice, small journal 327 block with a bad crank and a couple of bad rods. I also have a nice, 1970's 350 with a cracked block and a good crank and rods. Has anyone turned down a large journal 350 crank and run it in a 327? I'd be using the 350 pistons and rods, ending up with a 350 with small mains and large rod journals. I figured that the engine will be balanced and a few extra cubes couldn't hurt. Does this seem feasible? Thanks, Rob

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes you can do what you said, but you can also find a small journal 350 crank.

3. find a 350 block rob.turning down the crank would weaken it and cost as much as buying a bare 350 core block. somebody on craigslist must have a cheap core block that needs a bag of dope!:rolleyes:

4. promachine

promachine
    from chico ca.

If the crank is steel, turning the mains down is not a problem. I don't remember if you have to cut down the counterweights. For the cost of the grind, you might find a 350 block.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, first of all, there is no such animal, a small journal 350 crank. And to turn one down to small journal size gets into the oil passages in a way that weakens the crank and oil delivery. However, there is a kit to make a 383 with a small journal sized, new crank, I believe Speed-O-Motive is the company doing this. That would probably be the best thing to do. Plenty of small journal 327 cranks and rods out there. Or, you could go the 301/302 route using after market longer rods and stock style 350 pistons, with a 283 crank. There are also tons of 350's for sale on Craigs List, at least there are locally. You might even concider going to towing yard auctions; a lot of these places have perfectly running cars to serve as donor vehicles. And finally, cranks can be repaired by welding and remachining, albeit expensive. It really boils down to what can you afford? Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. monsterflake

monsterflake

dude! i have a large journal 327 block and small journal crank, rods, etc. i'll sell you all my fresh parts or swap ya blocks!

7. Larry T

Larry T

I've never seen a factory small journal 350 crank.

As far a turning the 350 crank and using the large journal rods, I'd sure want to check the clearance around the pan rail before I bolted everything up. The crank counterweights or rod bolts might get pretty close.
    Larry T

8. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

The old, small-journal 327's are getting scarce. 1967 was the last year for them. You might be able to get a good price for yours from a restorer. If I had one, I'd think seriously about building a 302, like the original Z-28's had.
    Rainh8r - I grew up on Whidbey Island. Went to the old Langley High School. Great place to grow up!

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There's the best answer of all two hambers working it out. Any 4" bore block can become a 302, 327 or 350 with the appropriate crank and pistons.

Pat

10. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

the amount of work your suggesting is more than it would take to just get another 350 block or even buy a small journal crank

11. Rainh8er. Try asking the question on the Northwest HAMB group. There should be either a block or a crank-rod setup someplace in the NW group near you for a decent price. I've got extra's of each but a bit too far away.

PM me if you want to discuss availability.

Movin/on

12. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

I've got a 327 forged crank for a sj, pm me if you are interested. Not sure if I have the rods. SJ rods are probably more expensive to recon or replace.

The traditional 350 would be the least expensive to build.

In the spirit of the HAMB, you probably have a bias towards pre-1965, so maybe the sj motor is what you want to do. If you are looking for a sj hybrid, you could try for a SJ stocker crank, ala the 383 sj one mentioned above, then have the rod journals off-set ground to the size of the sj rods and get even more stroke! Could probably have 400+ ci in an old sj block!

I'm not sure I would be against cutting the 350 crank you have down. Heck, my 327 is cut 20/30 and I wing it ove 7k! Talk to the company you would have cut the crank. They may even have something they would trade you with the 350 core. Yest the sj is getting scarce, but I'm sure there are plenty of old machin shops which still have sj cores whcih they don't move often. Keep us posted!

13. rainh8r

rainh8r

Thanks for the response. I can get another crank, but since I was going to turn one anyway, I thought it may be a good way to pick up some extra inches if there wern't any structural problems. I appreciate the help. Rob

14. Drive Em

Drive Em

'67 was the first year for the 350 in the Camaro and they had a small journal crank.

15. monsterflake

monsterflake

my crank is fresh from the shop and i have all new bearings, gaskets, pan, cam, heads, etc...450.00 + my discounted shipping!

16. Larry T

Larry T

I've overhauled a few 67 350's and they were all big journal.

Here's Chevrolets deal on them.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

17. Deuces

Deuces

The idea of using a 283 crank in the early 327 block is starting to sound better each time I read up on the subject.

18. PxTx

PxTx
    from PA

I'll never understand why a 301/302 would be prefered over a 327, racing rules aside.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Really??? hmm ive kinda wanted to build a rail in the distant future with a 283 made into a 383+, and that might be the easy way, now i just have to finish my other projects!!

20. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Been in and out of the engine re-manufacturing business since 1967. Never has been a small journal 350 sbc from Chevrolet. Turning a 350 crank to small journal mains would cost you over $175.00 in this area. Tho the crank would clear most 327 blocks.