Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's talk about "Saginaw 4 speed"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coke-bottle, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Now when did saginaws come out?? And i also had some articals on the OD conversion, BUt i lost them, so how do i ID the right saginaw OD, or will any GM car OD be the right trans??

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

They most certaintly do spin on the mainshaft during gear reduction.That's what Muncie 4 speed first gear rides on a sleeve.These gears can gall up the shafts without the proper lube.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The Saginaw transmission design we're talking about here debuted in 1966. Saginaw overdrive three speeds were available from 1966-71, and yes, any one of them will work for the four speed conversion.

4. granny

granny
    from WA state

When the gears are actually turning on the mainshaft, they are not transferring the power. When the power is going thru an individual forward gear, that gear is coupled to the mainshaft, not spinning on it.

In my experience, using Redline MTL does not cause a problem between the gear and mainshaft. The thinner oil is getting in there. No sign of galling. Thinner oil might even get in there better than a thicker lube.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,I was mixing words,you said it better,mainshaft gear transmitting power doesn't spin on the shaft.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Shaggy, I bought my Saginaw 3 ring 4-speed and the Saginaw 3-speed with overdrive, from a fella in SULTAN. He had two El Caminos, 64-65, one red, one black. I thought it might be you. You know this guy? He lives right on Hwy 2, just East of the old logging equipment store. Saginaws came out in 1966, both the 3 and 4-speeds, replacing the old 3-speed non-syncro first gear Muncies (that for some reason, people refer to as a Saginaw). Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

56sedandelivery, Not me, i was wondering who that was on craigslist, i havent ran into that guy in years, and i even forget his name, i'm in town myself, he used to drive the red one around a lot, but i figured he moved

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It just seemed odd, to have TWO people in a town the size of Sultan that each have 2 64-65 El Caminos; such as your bio mentions. Stranger things have happened. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

My neighbor has a '64 too, and a guy a block away had a 65 for a while

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, guys. Good bit of info - the 3sp OD to 4spd.

11. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

I don't fint site for "how to rebuild a saginaw 4 speed" anybody with experience could post many pic and rebuild one? :)
    Any link for nice rebuild kit?

12. jrlemke

jrlemke

If you're gonna do a 4 spd O.D., you gotta use the 4 spd case. Drill (2) 5/8" holes in the rear using the O.D. gasket as a guide. I left out the rod that pushes the O.D. out of engagement when shifting into reverse (just remember to disengage the O.D. before backing up!). The Studebaker Drivers Club web site has a copy of the old "HOT ROD" mag article on how to do it. It's in the tech pages index. I've had the one in my 52 Chev for 20+ years and it works great. The shifter was the biggest hassle, I used a 3 spd mounting brecket and made a block to duplicate the casting on the 4 spd tailshaft and bolted it to the bracket. You also need a relay for the O.D. sol. The Stude tech pages also show you how to make one using modern parts

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I looked on the Studebaker Drivers Club site, and could not find the old HOT ROD article. I have a Sag 4-speed AND a Sag 3-speed with overdrive I just picked up, FORTY DOLLARS for both. I have the article from the Chevy truck site, but would like another perspective. Can you direct me? Thanks, Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. jrlemke

jrlemke

I looked at the Stude article, it is the one from the Chev truck site. I built mine using the Hot Rod article when it first came out, around the mid 70's I think. I should add, I also had to make my own rev. shift rod, the others are nearly straight.

15. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Best damed disposable 4spd ever made. Just keep a spare and no hi rev clutch drops. I get 4 or 5 years on one before It blows up. Nice low 1st for higher ratios, just be carefull in reverse.

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oakie, doakie, mighty fine. Thanks, I have that article printed; just thought IF there was another........... Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Search on here the articals have been posted a few times in the past

18. granny

granny
    from WA state

I've got tons of hi rpm drag radial clutch drops on mine, but my main case started out as a truck version that originally had 5 bolts holding it to the bellhousing, the extra bolt being on the top/center. Cut all that off and spent some quality time w/ a grinder lightening it up, but in the end it looks like a car case, but maybe it's stronger.

FYI, this truck Saginaw came w/ a 3.50 1st gear and a 1" x 14 spline input shaft, but 2nd and 3rd ratios were different than those published for a 3.50 box. I replaced the guts w/ a complete 3.50 set from a car as they use different tooth counts on the input shaft, even though both have the same 3.50 1st gear ratio. I wanted the car's 10 spline input shaft to get more choices for the clutch disc.

19. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

NObuddy have a reply for me?

Luca

20. granny

granny
    from WA state

Mid '70s big Chilton manuals had good pictures and proceedures, probably much of it taken from factory manuals. Here in the states, you can find that sort of thing at a swap meet or library.

21. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

i had a sag 4 speed behind my 350 in the nova for 5 years no problems and that was 5 years of a daily driver, 2years of which i did burnouts all the time with no problem,power shifted like a dream, the car had the trans in there when i got it so who knows how long it was in there . i recently took it out only b/c there was a humming and im sure it was just the output bearing, but since it was a daily i needed the put something in there quick, now i have another sag "4 speed" but im sure its a 3 with a over drive b/c 1st is down shifts fine but its a little weird tryin to power shift with it set up that way

as long as your not putting more then 400 hp infront of it you'll be fine

22. jrlemke

jrlemke

Another note on the O.D. If you're gonna do something silly like dump the clutch, make sure the O.D. is locked out! A word to the wise!

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I had a Mucie M-22 rockcrusher in my 59 El Camino with a not too healthy 348 that I used to abuse the fuck out of in the early 90s, it blew up but I couldn't affored to get it rebuilt, I never picked it from the shop. I replaced it with a used three speed Saginaw that saw a couple years more of serious abuse, including a drive to San Antonio and back from Florida to clear my head, it never let me down.
    I've had a Saginaw 4 speed in my 54 Chevy for at least 13 years, it's been abused like crazy but it's behind a 235 with twin carbs, Fentons and a hopped up cam.

24. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Thanks, but any help for USA made rebuild kit? Ive found lot of chinese shit right now..