Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats up with Hot Rod Magazine????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

editor in chief+ david freiburger
    editor= rob kinnan

as long as these guys are on board we have a good mag, they are us...
    hope they stick around for awhile.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The mags which were of the old Petersen Group, then Primedia, now ????, are sending me better and better subscription deals every two weeks or so for the last 2-3 months.
    Paid subscriptions are a great part of the calculations for advertsising rates and ad rates are what has always kept magazine titles afloat from year to year and month to month.

3. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I don't buy car mags much anymore, I get lots of great info and pics right here on the HAMB! The cover of the new Hot Rod does look good. I will check it out and maybe buy it.
    I like the idea suggested by 57ford/60thunderbird of offering old style Hot Rod magazine T-shirts for sale.

4. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

I've been thinking the same thing about Hot Rod. The last few issues have been much better than some of the previous ones.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Just got mine in the mail. I'm about half way through it, it's pretty good. As cheap as the subscription is I cant refuse.

6. V8Mongrel

V8Mongrel
    from Apex, NC

I guess you skipped the 11 pages of "Late-Model Power" that is in that same issue. :cool:

I like all car stuff myself. Old, new, import, domestic, race, street, off-road, whatever. 40 years from now, the tests they run on 2010 Camaros today will be the retro stuff people ooh-n-aah over. Covering only older stuff would be dumb as it would basically be putting an expiration date on the magazine. But covering only new stuff would be dumb too as a lot of people can't afford to modify new cars and a big portion of car enthusiast market is older people who want to recapture part of their youth. They have to perform a balancing act with the content, and to be honest, I think they do a pretty good job of it. I can't remember the last issue that I thought was too focused on just one part of our hobby.

7. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Yea--What he said.....These guys learned at the feet of the masters and we are lucky to be around while they are building their legends. As long as their bosses let them do their thing we will have great reading! ...When the suits put the screws to 'em just throw the mag in the trash, it's worthless!

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Tell us what you really think, why don't you? I hate HOT ROD too, 'cause they feature pieces of junk painted green, like this, that look like PT Cruisers...

Attached Files:

9. chevy3755

chevy3755

not tooooooooo bad this time around.............

10. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

lmao... I saw the "PT Cruiser" letter in this issue... If you would have painted it brown it'd be cool seein' as it's the new black...:cool:

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Hot Rod varies its focus, but they have always had a wide, inclusive definition of their title. I liked it this issue.

It's not for everyone (I don't buy it) but I appreciate the tightrope they walk. Are they still the top selling automotive publication or am I still living decades in the past?

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think I heard this is the top automotive publication:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

:)

I got the $20 for 3 years and a T-Shirt offer as well, still on the fence.

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yeah, it will take many more issues without every car having 20" chrome wheels on it to get my interest back.

14. hemi

hemi

All I can say is that you vote at the newsstand... Like what you see? Want to see more? Pick up a copy and vote. That's how it works.

15. 55chevr

55chevr

Hot Rod Magazine Editor-in-Chief David Freiburger returned to the magazine late last year .... He is a for real hot rodder and the magazine reflects that ... Finally.

16. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

It looks a whole lot like they are trying to move into the format of Street Rodder Magazine.

17. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i had a sub for at least 10 yrs, quit them back in the mid-eightes way too many cycles in there for my taste, told 'em so too, have'nt picked up one since.

18. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

19. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I agree with Left Turn. Hot Rod has been steadily coming back for the past couple of years.

20. hey hemi do you own a certain orange 70 superbee that was in a after shcool specail starring scott baio? ....:rolleyes:

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I reupped and then asked myself why I did it.....until this month's issue. That neat '54 Chevy custom looked awesome. If will keep changing, maybe they'll hit on the right formula. They certainly had strayed off the path I like.

22. hemi

hemi

LOL... you got me confused with somebody else... ;) I wish. Mine's a Plymouth, a '73, and it's sky blue.

23. Muttley

Muttley

Did someone say Scott Baio?

[​IMG]

24. A Boner

A Boner

A Hot Rod guy working for Hot Rod Magazine.......now that's a good combo.

25. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I feel this was the best issue I have gotten on my 3 year deal,If I get 18 more months of this I will be happy. I might even wear that shirt they sent!

26. Fred Stone was one hell of a wrench also a highly decerated WW2 Vet never let the problems of being the only 1320 foot racer of color effect his abilty to kick ass.