Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. zgears

zgears

nice ride, I dont care for the raidals. but then again im a period correct nerd.

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the car is cool . who really cares about the tires ! the car overshadows them .... steve

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just my opinion . not a cult . LOL ..................... steve

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Here are a couple shots from the film "Bachelor & the Bobby Soxer" from 1947 starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Shirley Temple. If you don't like the quality of my pictures, watch it on TCM April 23 at 10 AM or buy me an HDTV.:)

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

The car is cool... but this thread is about period correct. I'd think that keep out anything that doesn't fit into the period, ya know?

Stogy likes this.
  6. erlomd

erlomd

who cares about the price less ardun conversion anyway...$150 bias plys is where its at!
    I think the only guy who can pull off driving today with original tires is ed iskendirian...i saw his 40's roadster at the NHRA museum couple of years ago and was amazed that he just drove that baby with the original tires around like its all fine and dandy....thats the kinda guy you want around these days!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Iphone old pics</td></tr></table>

"Ed iskenderian began building his famous street rod, a whacked-down '24 T on essex 'rails, in 1939. The distinctive front radiator shell was made from a '34 Pontiac grille top half and he hand-fab'd the bottom half. The engine was a '32 Ford that sported Maxi cylinder heads. These were unusual in that they moved the exhaust valves into the heads (a semi overhead, if you will). Three 97s, a Vertex mag, and an isky ground cam gave the little roadster plenty of suds for its day. ed ran the car in dry lakes competition in 1942 and went more than 120 mph-truly blistering in those days!"....from streetrodder mag

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. erlomd

erlomd

I hate stealing someone else's pics and posting them but damn...heres a new one...im posting someone else's thread being that it is 1940's period correct and all....and it is for the sake of us hambbers to enjoy....so please dont get mad miller91...its a bad ass thread!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377757

Stogy likes this.
  8. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Both matters... ;)

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my bias www were $210/ea + mounting & balance . where are the $150's at ??? steve
    yes i know im wierd , but it took me 64 yrs to get here ............................

10. tires are easy to change.......:rolleyes:

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Alternators take a little more work... ;)

12. shhh....The period correct police are coming....

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Anyone can have an opinion, but please don't make fun of what this thread is
    about. There are one million other threads that bash the deeper interest of
    period hot rods. This is my humble opinion. I wouldn't mind discussions around
    parts and styles that both are known or more unknown around this era. For
    example, questions about what different types of steering boxes used, before
    the now common and many times accepted F1. And loads of pics, of course... :)

There have been too much drama about the 1940's hot rod roadsters vs
    coupes. I just want you to consider that there is a huge difference in what
    was a hot rod January 1946 and 3 years later. This was 1940's California.
    Were there any other places in the US during this time that held anywhere
    near the big amount of hot rods that circled around in CA?

Attached Files:

14. dude, chill out. It was a joke...... making fun of all the drama from this thread. ;) I would call the car in question...."period close"....does it fit this thread? maybe. Is it a significant hot rod that has been upgraded to make it more user friendly? sure. do I like it? yes! would I change some things if it were mine. Hell yes! But it's not mine....and that the real tragedy here. :D

a very good point that was never brought up in the argument.....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  15. MadJack68

MadJack68

Duffy Livingstone roadster c.1946
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MadJack68

MadJack68

Rex Mays '49 Novi
    [​IMG]

17. MadJack68

MadJack68

18. erlomd

erlomd

Gorgeous!!! absolutely

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

Well...since the F-1 box was new in '48...it's hardly a 40's era piece. While Franklin steering seemed to be the box of choice for T's in the 30's, I believe the '37 Hudson steering gear was the hot set up for the 28-34 Fords in the Forties. They are a Gemmer rolling sector similar to a 37-48 Ford, but were side steer like a 32-34 Ford box...which made a natural upgrade since they even used the same pitman arm spline. They also have the steering shaft on top like a 32-34...not like an F-1 with the steering shaft below...which messes with the angle on the column.

I have one of these Hudson boxes in my rpu and have another stashed for my 32 sedan.

So, there you go...

Neal

20. or use a 40 ford lhd casing and rhd innards and have a side steer box ;)

21. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

looking for the right tire size for front and back building a 1940 era hot rod ,and what wheels, i have a set of kelsey hays 17 that came with a set of new denman 5.25/5.50 17

Attached Files:

22. erlomd

erlomd

anybody seen a windshield like this? guy here says that he thinks its called a Greys windshield not a hallock since its considerably more chopped than a hallok....anybody know anything about this type of windshield...looks 40's correct, but I could be wrong...thanx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or is it just a chopped hallock...lol

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I've never heard it called anything but a Hallock... Never heard of a 'Greys'...

For a '40's' era hot rod, you're talking basically about 46-49... And for that time period, most guys had gone away from wire wheels and started using the 1940 Ford style steelies.

So what you're looking for is some 16" steel wheels from a late 40's ford.

For tires, I personally don't like anything smaller than 5.50x16 on the front and somewhere between 7.00 and 7.50x16 on the rear depending on the tire... Sometimes the rear tires end up looking like enormous balloons on some cars from the side if you go too big. In the front, I think on most cars, the 4.50-5.50 tires look a little small.

But it's still all just personal preference...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I would say 6.0s for the front and agree on the 7.0/7.50s for the rear.

25. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

black wall or www

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

blackwall. Look through the pics again.

27. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

KEEP THOSE WIRES.......If not sell 'em to me! It will definitely give the pre-mid war look. Especially if your keeping the banger motor. 6.00 in the front 7.00 in the back. They didn't make 7.50s til the later part of the decade. or you can go 6.00 all the way around with a different tread pattern for the back. show us some more pics of your build please.

28. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

are you talking about the pics on this thread

29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

30. 33pickemup

33pickemup

This is a great thread!