Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39-'42 Studebaker Gasser Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, May 22, 2009.

1. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Looks like your going to have a sweet stude. No to bad a job the first time building headers. You never know till you try yourself. You get more sense of pride knowing you did it yourself without the big shop price.

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Well- I threw my wheels and tires on and mocked stuff up. Not sure I'm sold on the look. I went with a smaller diameter front tire to get the nose down a bit, but the nose is still high and the small wheel kind of looks funky? It's looking like I might have to flip the front axle perches and go with a bigger front tire...... what do you guys think?

I thumbed through "Drag Racing Gassers" and it seemed like there was a lot of preferences, lots that look as small as mine, but still something just seems slighly off.... not sure what it is.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 46stude

46stude

Yea- it almost has more of a "street freak" vibe to it in the pic, rather than a '60s gass class runner. Front tire itself looks right to me as is.

If it were mine, I'd drop the nose a couple inches. And run taller rear meats- maybe 10.00-15 cheaters.

4. 5w32

5w32

the front looks great , but it needs taller tires on the rear....31-32" tall , open up the rear wheelwells a bit .

5. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I agree.... Just having a tough time bringing myself to cutting a solid pair of '40 stude commander fenders.....it's not like there's a bunch around anymore. haha

I'll probably do it anyway.

6. 5w32

5w32

mine were opened up and can take 33" slicks, i just bought a pair of 32.5"dia. and 11" wide but don't have them mounted yet.... here is a shot with the 10.50 goodyear blue streaks...they are 30.75" dia. and 11" wide

Attached Files:

7. 5w32

5w32

Attached Files:

8. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

9. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Here is another 1939 Stude coupe I found for sale this past weekend near York,Pa. Not in bad shape but the snow was about 2 foot deep around the car and I only got as close as the road.

Attached Files:

10. 5w32

5w32

here is a photo of stone and woods sbc powered 41 studebaker before they switched to willys( i grabbed this photo from another thread)

Attached Files:

11. 5w32

5w32

heres my roots of being a studebaker freak , almost 3 yrs old and under the hood of dads 50 champion!

Attached Files:

12. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Update on my search for The Boss 39 Stude coupe
    I found out today from the last owner that Charlie Garrett raced the car from 1962 thru 64. It was then sold to Rich Mullins from Hanover Pa who put the car on the street for a couple of years and drove it with a small block chevy and full injection.. The car was entered in a couple of shows and while away from home some one stole the 4-speed trans, the Hilborn intake ,and all four wheels ( Mag Halibrands) and tires. It was then sold to another guy, Charley Hill (now deceast) who installed a big block chevy and 4-speed.
    While racing the car at Englishtown,NJ I was told a friend of the owner was making a quick pass , lost control in the traps, and barrel rolled several times. They said the only thing that was salvagable was the fiberglass trunk lid.

Attached Files:

13. 5w32

5w32

hmm .....i wonder where that trunk lid is?

Attached Files:

14. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

I will have an extra trunk lid in a couple of weeks if you need one. Right now we got too much damn snow to go anywhere.;)

Attached Files:

15. 5w32

5w32

well, after cleaning some more of the old whitewash primer off.....the car was painted yellow first ..then orange and sometime in there... a teal/turquoise green.
    the last and current paint at the top level is blue with pinstriped panels like a cheetah

does that jog anyones memory?

Attached Files:

16. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Looks like an old painting trick they did back in the day by using an acetyline torch to give a smoke effect. When you first light it off it gives off that nasty black smoke that has all those little black ashes that land on everything.
    Ive seen some guys use the same thing to create the look of real wood.

17. PA Gas

PA Gas

I know a guy with a trunk lid:D Who needs a Charlie Hill glass nose for their car??? There was quite a bit of 39 and 40 Champion parts at York today as well as a rough 39 coupe.

18. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

That rough coupe was one I bought in Hillsville W.V. a couple of months ago. I paid Waaaaay too much for it as I bought it on E-bay and it was a lot rustier then the pictures showed. I would have been around the car Saturday but we had to attend a funeral in Maryland. Sorry we could"nt meet up.

19. Stude Gassers! :)

Attached Files:

20. 5w32

5w32

does anyone have more photos or information about this car?

21. 5w32

5w32

i just bought this 39 champ coupe today, i will be dragging it home this weekend.it has most of the missing parts i need for my gasser but there will be many extra good parts i dont need....

Attached Files:

22. 5w32

5w32

well.....we dragged it home....lots of good parts!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

23. James427

James427
    BANNED

Here is one on a used car lot near me just dying for the nose in the air treatment. Asking $9995.

Attached Files:

24. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Man looking at your project makes me feel a whole lot better. The coupe I bought (sight unseen) turned out to be twice as rusty as I thought.
    I did find another coupe I plan on picking up Easter weekend in Ohio.

I hope that its a little better then the one I have now. Did you get a hood with that car? If you need one I have an extra one (rusty) but Im in Penna. If you came down for the Carslile or Hershey swap meet Im only 45 min from each.

Here's a shot I just made from a 1964 slide of my buddys stude gasser.:eek:

Attached Files:

25. 5w32

5w32

its only a parts car for me, i don't need that much from it so there will parts for sale.

it would make a good convertible/ roadster project for someone! hmmm?

26. 5w32

5w32

heres mike's car a long time ago, build in about '65 and raced it around the St Louis Mo area till the early 70's. It had a 427 Chevy with a Hydro and Olds rear end. It ran high 10's in the day.

Attached Files:

27. 5w32

5w32

found this one on a photo website, laplace dragway in 1967

Attached Files:

28. 5w32

5w32

heres the b and m hydro stick for my 40 gasser , this is what was in it originally

Attached Files:

29. international iron sled

international iron sled
    from san diego

any more bad ass stude gassers? this thing has been in a used car lot near my house and every time i get a chance to go check it out there closed. i want it so bad, its in great shape but i cant get in contact with the owner :mad: I'm gonna keep trying tho cuz i have to have this thing.

Attached Files:

30. 5w32

5w32

wow.... nice find ,keep after it, it's begging to be a gasser!