Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats up with Hot Rod Magazine????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Apr 20, 2010.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Got the latest issue in the mail today and for the first time in the last 10 years it seems like it was actully a decent magazine. Had kind of a retro feel to it. I can't remember the last time I saw a real down to Earth Kustom in the mag. Even pictures of the Whole Stone Woods and Cook gang (yeah the Black dudes) and their Bad ass Willys.

Ok I'm just rambling on here and they ain't paying me for endorsements. I had just grown tired of another late model Camaro build or the lastest LS somthing to hit the market.

Just my .02 once again :D

2. gotta agree!
    seems like a good mix of old and new...I do like the bit about bodies in white as it has been so long since the big three offered them, but the early custom and the SWC Willy's got my motor running

3. Tank

Tank

Gotta agree with you, Ive had a subscription for years, and this was definately the best issue Ive seen in ages. tons of cool pics. I was very pleasently surprised to actually see what I consider real Hot Rods in Hot Rod again.

4. sololobo

sololobo

Spot on Dudes!! I had lost total interest but looked at the last issue in Rob Lee's garage and was pleasently surprised. Lets give'm a big ATTA BOYS!! I remember when I couldn't wait to get it. ~Sololobo~

5. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

They should just keep puttin out those camaro/Mustang shit rags for the mullet set, and offer subscriptions for "Hot Rod Deluxe", much better mag.

6. i think they are finnally realizing they are losing readers

and they have started steppin and fetching tryin to get them back

i got the issue today also but to me it still like information over load whats with all the small pics and small little bites of info

whats wrong with running larger pics and keeping all the words in complete stories

its just too busy and makes my head hurt (im a subscriber)

7. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i haven't bought a hot rod magazine in 4-5 years, as i have no interest in late-model crap. i have to admit, when i flipped through the one at the store i contemplated buying it. almost had me, they have been slowly going back in the right direction.

8. I'll have to check this one out at the rack then as I didn't re-up my subscription this year.

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just got my subscription notice. Three years for $20. How can I refuse.

10. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

11. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Haven't seen one in years, guess thats why, maby if they change I would re up

12. trad27

trad27

I have always had a subscription. For $7 a year its why not. I loved that coupe this month.

13. I believe their editor has changed in the past few months and that may be the reason for the much improved material in the mag. Anyway, we can hope that's the case.

14. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Have you guys been sleeping? there's been cool shit in there for a while.. you must not pay attention to the dare to be different section or "Hot Rods" as they call it now.. There's been some cool features the last couple years..

15. chopt49

chopt49

Same here, though i paid $10 for 3 years and got a free wall clock! no brainer :D

16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

To be honest I've been getting them in the mail and tossing them in with the other rags. Go figure I guess I should go back and read a couple.

17. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

40 years from now you could sell that wall clock on eBay for $5... good investment!:D

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

I noticed that too. It was a pleasant surprise. I hope it's a trend & not an accident. I did the 3 years for $20 & some piece of crap deal, too. It was against my better judgement, but ya can't even get a cup of stinkin' coffee for 70 cents anymore. Maybe they deserve some E-mail feedback/encouragement?

19. hemi

hemi

This month:

[​IMG]

Next month... vintage funny cars!

20. Man,,now I'm gonna have to go out in the rain and get my magazine out of the truck,,it's been on the seat for 4 days now.

Normally nothing to get excited about but you guys got me thinking I have missed something,,,:D HRP

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I also enjoyed this issue. :)

22. I gave up on Hot Rod back in the 80's, but a frend showed me this issue and I liked it. hope they continue the trend.

23. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

what happened to Car Craft i have not seen a issue in a while , as for Hot Rod it goes in and out every couple of yrs there,s times i won,t miss a issue and many more when i,ll thumb thru it and throw it back on the rack and move on to some other mag that has content to my likes . Hot Rod Delux is a killer mag

24. Last worthwhile article I remember was Jon Buttera's silver/black Chevy II.
    Funny thing is- Foose is STILL doing that paint scheme.

lOl- I guess you can actually get too much of a good thing.

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was at the local magazine rack at the grocery store and thought it was the new Hot Rod Deluxe, But it was Hot Rod. Got mine in the mail the next day. My subscription was 3 years for $18 bucks and a wall clock. $10 dollars and it could be yours. This fall they did a 7 or 8 page spread on the KKOA show in Salina Kansas, lots of pictures too. First time they covered this event in 30 years. Written by none other than Pat Ganahl. Maybe they will change there tune if people will go out and buy it.

26. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

Hot Rod can eat shit. I sub'd for close to 20 years. Let it run out in December, on purpose. Just virtually worthless. Thought that was the end of a decent run... Just thought it was time to give up on it having anything worthy of reading. Thought I'd watch the newsstands and if it got better, just back on with the subscription.

Was that the end? Fuck no. Get this...

I start getting these bullshit collection notices from some jerkoff place called "North Shore Agency" saying that I am defaulted on a subscription to Hot Rod for 29.95 - total horseshit. I didnt renew, they stopped sending mags. I hadnt defaulted on a fucking thing. They say I "renewed in June" (which i didn't) but for whatever reason - can't prove it to me. (I know why, its because I DIDNT RENEW). Google "North Shore Agency" or "nsapay.com" and see what I mean.

It took 3 phone calls and a threat to send the Atty General of New York, Ohio, and California after them if the shit didnt stop - for them to quit sending me these bullshit notices.

God help them if I ever find another piece of paper in my mailbox from these dick suckers.

If you work for Hot Rod and read this, know that if I hear from you or NSA again - the best you can hope for is that I take a shit in the envelope and mail it to you. Postage due.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  27. i just reuped for 3 years when i got the 3 years plus a t- shirt for 20.00 i figured cool i 'll finnally have a hot rod mag t-shirt ive wanted one since i was like 12 well the shirt came and it says hot rod on it on the right front chest about 3inchesX1/2 high almost need a maginfying glass to see it

its funny when i asked over on thier website why isnt hot rod delux availible in subscriptions the reply i got was that they dont make anymoney on subscrptions........hello..... 3 years and a t-shirt, clock, hat etc [email protected] erm 20.00 .....is this thing on ???????? i wonder why they cant make money on subscriptions??????

i wish i could have my current subscription converted to hotrod delux but i guess that aint gonna happen

one thing i would like to see since they have recently got into the retro hotrod clothing how about making a run of t's with the old hotrod logo where the word magazine was in cursive like the shirts i wanted when i was 12 ?????

i know frielburger is here ..... is he listening?

or maybe the question is can he do anything about it

28. Ebert

Ebert

Been getting better and better the last few years...thanks to Freiburger, Kinnan and McGuire who are guys that get it and finally getting to do their thing after multiple ownership changes.

29. Hot Rod and all the car mags seem to go in cycles, and it looks like Hot Rod is on our cycle for at least few issues, and then back to whatever they will go.

For years I have been buying up to five subcriptions yearly. I can toss out and "buy" the issues at my mailbox each month for much cheaper than what picking and choosing at the newstand for $5-7 each would have been!

30. Magazine has been pretty damn good for the last few years, glad to see it. We bought dad a sub. Something good to read when we take the kid to grandmas.