Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection

2. badgerboy

badgerboy
    from California

More Bob Bergeron. Trickle wins in Boomers 2.

3. badgerboy

badgerboy
    from California

More Wis. guys:
    Mike Miller (MN)
    Trickle
    Marcis
    Detjens
    Reffner

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, badgerboy! Nice photos of guys I remember well.

Dirt11353 and lawman, went through some photos Andy Vertrees gave me and found this one of Tony Johnson and Matt at Charlestown...

[​IMG]

5. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Hey, Copley62,

Here's the same picrture. I took this at Dayton Speedway many years ago and when I left Ohio, I gave several very large scrap books to John "Shorty" Miller who was a recenrtly retired flagman at Kil Kare, Shady Bowl, and many other local Ohio tracks. Shorty was starting a museum and I donated the photos to him.

I've been contributing heavily to the Dayton Speedway Lives web site and I learned that Shorty's memorabilia had passed on to a dealer who was selling it on eBay. Nice to see one of my old photos is still around. Is it perhaps a 4" x 5" size, maybe with type written name and number in the bottom border ?

Anyway, I went through a couple of my film cans today and came up with these pictures of your dad. The oldest is the Plymouth, and I do not have any ID on it, but I assume it is your dad. Then there is an early shot of the 65 Ford, then later views of a Torino at a race at Tri-County.

Enjoy

Vegas_oldtimer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jdrax

jdrax

Any of you guys remember a fella by the name of Kenny Pankratz? He raced in central wisconsin the same time Dick Trickle was starting out up here. He ran a 59 Thunderbird.
    Anyone got any photos?

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Good stuff there, Steve. That's my brother, Bob, playing pit steward in the first one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  8. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

9. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection.

10. lawman

lawman

Thanks John. Can't wait to see what else is in Andy's Box !!.
    Maybe there are pictures of Tommy Thompson,Buddy Ward, Bobby Watson , Andy Hampton and I hope more of my hero Roy Wathen LOL.
    Thanks so much as always.

11. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Way to go, sm66p! John McKarns with Little Joe, Hugh and Jodie Deery with the Trickster. Nice!

13. hanley_72

hanley_72

Awesome Jr. Hanley pic!!!!

Thanks!!!!

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

Question for you or Indybigjohn - in the second photo, in the pits behind the 41 car, there is a white Chevelle, that appears to be a #0 with checkered flags crossed through it. Is that an early Stovall car? I remember watching Moose Myers in well turned out Lagunas every year at Daytona as a kid. Just curious if that were those cars' uncle.

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I don't think that is a Jim Stovall car - he was the owner of Moose Myers' cars in the years I knew them. Later Jim's son, Scott, took over the wheel. Those cars were a darker color. I recall that Chevelle 0, but I can't remember who drove it.

16. mike_c_56

mike_c_56
    from cincinnati

New here but I've been lurking for a while. We went to a lot of races at Tri-County (later Queen City) Speedway north of Cincinnati.

The car with the checkered flags on the door I think is a #9. Perhaps Floyd Gilbert driving. Check this link, about 12-13 pictures down.

http://www.dirtfans.com/FloydGilbert.html

Floyd was a local fast guy in the area. I think back then the local late model cars and the ARCA cars were closer in their specs. Local owners in the area like Porter Lanigan, the Strickers, and Jim Cook had cars that ran weekly events and the occasional ARCA event.

17. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Mike c 56, I think you've got the answer. I was thinking "0", but it was obviously the Busener "9" I was remembering.

Back in the early days, many local area tracks had rules that allowed their cars to compete in an ARCA event with few changes. The same applied to ASA in the 70s. In fact, that was the original idea with ASA.

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nice stuff, sm66p. From the yellow driver's suit, I'd say that's DW in the Dillon Cavalier with ASA's first V6 at Minnesota. Pancho Carter also drove that car. Also nice shots of Hanley with the modified, and Rusty with the "Rubberhead" hairdo that earned him that nickname long before Dale Earnhardt got credit for starting it.

20. Calhoun

Calhoun

Except that it says "Butch Lindley" on the door. And except that DW didn't start wearing the Pepsi yellow driving suit until 1983 and the Cavalier ran in like '81 and '82. Which is also when Mtn Dew sponsored DW in Cup.

By the profile and the way he's sitting in the seat I think it's Butch.

21. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Here's a shot of the #9 at Toledo with Floyd Gilbert at the wheel.

22. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Here's a couple shots of Stan Yee with former drivers John Anderson and Danny Byrd.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yep, you caught me out, Calhoun. I should have looked closer. And after your reminder, I recall Lindley also driving that car. Thanks.

24. Great local stuff Arca39.Do you have anything from O'hare?

25. Calhoun

Calhoun

Just for i.d. purposes, #3084 with the #112 and the #22 is from the 1984 All-American 400. Balough in the 112 started on the pole and led 297 of 400 laps and won. The 22 is Joe Ruttman - started 9th and finished 22nd, out after 359 laps with ignition failure.

Didn't want anyone mistakenly thinking it was Bobby in the 22.

26. Vercauteren77

Vercauteren77

I'm new to registering on this board, even though I've been looking at it for awhile. To introduce myself, here is a photo. That's me as a little kid between legendary short track racers Tom Reffner and Dick Trickle, circa 1980. Both were sponsored by Superamerica at the time. The Blue Night and the White Night.
    [​IMG]

My name is Keith Vercauteren. My dad was the late Gary Vercauteren, who was the longtime PR director at Wisconsin International Raceway and also worked for the ARTGO series. He later founded the Mid-American Stock Car Series and it's many outgrowths -- Mid-Am Trucks, MARS Late Models, ASL (an ill-fated attempt to keep the cars from the ol' ASA National Tour on the short tracks), etc. I've got many pictures from my own personal collection I will eventually put up on this board, just have to get around to scanning them! Most are from the Wisconsin area, of the ARTGO, CWRA, ASA and weekly show varieties...

Really enjoying the pics put up in this thread!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Keith, welcome to the board, and to this thread in particular. Your father was a real racer. I knew him well, and considered him a friend. Bring on those photos!

28. Vercauteren77

Vercauteren77

John Potts, I remember seeing you flag some ASA races and in some funny photos in ASA yearbooks.

Looks like the photo I posted isn't showing up anymore. All these message boards are different. I used Flickr for that pic. What photo site works best for this board? Just something I need to know before I put up any more pics! EDIT: I think I fixed it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  29. B99

B99
    from indiana

Been a while since I posted, let's see what I can do.....

A couple of shots of now retired Ken Rowley from El Paso, Illinois

30. B99

B99
    from indiana

AJ Foyt and Bay Darnell circa 1979