Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,
    You are right as usual. I now remember Charlie telling me about going by Gaines and he was upside down in the ditch and crawled out OK, but Charlie said when he went by it looked bad. Thanks for keeping me straight.
    Jim

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep. That's Dick Gaines for sure.

The lil' 500 drew a lot of dirt cars that would only run Pavement a few times a year if not ONLY for that race. I'd say they unloaded the car with Dirt Trackers on it from the night/week before, jacked it up, pulled them off (that's what's laying there) and are gonna head back to that M&H Tire van and buy some new slicks to have mounted up. If you look close you can even see a set of wide Hals stacked on the ground by the van waiting to be mounted.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jim,
    I can't be for sure, but I believe the 3rd roadster in the lineup pic is Gaines. According to the Bill Marvel race report, after Weld dropped out, he pretty much had things going his way until he crashed out on lap 23. This was one of 2 cars Dizz Wilson had entered, the other a upright driven by Clare Lawicki I believe.

4. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Jim! 'Appreciate the info on Mike in the Kincaid Barber Shop car. Can you fill us in on the particulars of why Mike moved from the Kincaid car, to Howard Linne's and ultimately to the Lark Equipment car before Mike finally threw in the towel (I think right after the race at the Houston Astrodome) and he and Betty headed for Florida, never to return to the midgets?

Attached Files:

5. Race Artist

Race Artist

I remember these photos from an old US AS Auto Sports magazine. That magazine had a great mix of racing genres. I don't think that it was around too long though.
    Joel

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

6. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi conklin75,
    Iwish I could help you, but I have not heard of the car "surfacing". I know that others have tried. I am about 2 miles from Harrys house, where his son still lives. Best of luck.

7. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Question and comment directed at Rootie; I assume the Joe Hunt Magnetos car featured in post #10655 is the same car that Joe campaigned throughout the 1960's? And, is it the Lesovsky? (Assuming Hunt had the one dirt car?) Anyway, didn't know that Lugi was part of Roger Penske's Indy Car Team in 1971 working right along side Roger's right-hand man, Karl Kainhofer on Mark Donahue's M16 McLaren? What a great car builder he was in his day! And also Rootie, any idea of who the driver is in the #99 car in the bottom photo of post #10655? 'Looks like Jack Hewitt?

[​IMG]

8. Little Fauss,

That is the Lesovsky Champ car, Fitz gave the details on it, I'll have to look them up. Fitz is the third owner.

That is Jack Hewitt in there too.

I read that Jack had hotlapped the Hunt car, but, he hotlapped fast enough to make the field that night for the USAC Champ dirt race!

I asked him later about it, and he said with a huge grin--"It was neat"!

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes it is one and the same. Started out in 1958 as the Hopkins #3 that 'little' George Amick drove. The driver does resemble Hewitt and he sure looks familiar, but I don't think it's him, doesn't have his trademark Fu Man Chu.

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Wings from the GROVE...Rich

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Luji Lesovsky was one who could, literaly, say he did it all. Best known for his Indy/open wheel cars, he also built stock cars for Holman Moody, off road cars for Bill Stroppe and even had a hand in some of M/Ts lsr and dragsters. He wasn't a stranger to r/e indy cars either, having helped build one of the first; the Rounds Rocket Indy car of 1949:

Attached Files:

• rr1.jpg
      rr1.jpg
      File size:
      117.3 KB
      Views:
    • rr2.jpg
      rr2.jpg
      File size:
      142.6 KB
      Views:
    • rr3.jpg
      rr3.jpg
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
    • rr5.jpg
      rr5.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
    • rr6.jpg
      rr6.jpg
      File size:
      382.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Yes, That is Jack Hewitt

at Hagerstown in the 80's

[​IMG]

13. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

If you have any, I mean any questions about the Hunt champ car Larry knows all or most. Ask him about the engine. He will be taking the Hunt car to The vintage event in May at New Hampshire. If any of you are there stop and spend some time with Larry as you will enjoy every moment. Larry and I are also planning to travel Calistoga Labor Day. He is taking the Hunt car and I will have the Thomas sprinter with the cage and wing on it. Come by and say Hi.

14. Re #10680, also, Vic Yerardi on rear wheel & ex Rex Mays dirt champ car of Del Mar in
    background,
    mlight9.

15. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Vic owned #99 at the time the photo was taken (mid-'80s, not long after he bought the car from Joe Hunt, who died in 1985). And that's Pat Whitehouse standing next to his Wolfe car. Vic passed away in 2000 and Pat died several years ago. Time marches on...

16. BenMtrsprts20

BenMtrsprts20

Hey Wynns did you get my message i sent to you??? And Spike My grandfather was Harry and I am trying to learn whatever i can about him. Very impressed that he has such a rep like he does. I bet if he was still alive he would be impressed by it.

17. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey Scott, I knew your Dad, I raced with him in URC. How is he. Denny Z

18. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Hi, Denny Zimmerman...good to see you on the board. I really enjoyed watching you run with URC and USAC.

I'm trying to fill in some gaps about some of the URC cars-what color was your ex-Manwarren-ex-Watson sprinter No. 59 (numbers, frame, etc., too)?

Thanks.

19. Scott Ruth

Scott Ruth

20. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello OldBill, It was black with gold leaf number 59. Spring front, parallel bar rear, 327 chev power. Foyt drove for Watson, Gillette drove for Manwarren, I drove for me. I sold the car and trailer to Johnny Kay (for 2000 dollars) actually Gene Angelillo bought the car and hired Johnny Kay to drive it. I won with it at Wall Stadium (I think it was in 66) Johnny Kay won with it at Stafford (I think it was 68) the Joe Csiki memorial. I heard it has been restored to original Watson condition and in someones collection now. I would love to see it now if I knew where it was. Denny Z

OldBill what's your name (PM me if you want) do I know you ?

21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Thanks Scott.......Hey Spike Ruth, Hello from Denny Z glad to hear your still around. We should have a URC reunion sometime, heck not just URC but all us old farts.

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Denny, I remember Cookie Ousterhaut driving for manwarren as well, but not Gillette.

23. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Don Gillette was killed in Manwarren's newer (Ward) car at Trenton. I also primarily remember Osterhout in the ex-Watson car when Manwarren had it. Last I heard Denny Z's car was in Bob McConnell's collection. Bob had it fully restored as the Watson car.

24. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Jim, Could be, I was just going on what I was told.

Bill, Where is Bob McConnell and his collection.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Denny,
    Here's a couple you might have already, if not:

Attached Files:

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello to All, I'm an old fart that drove in a race or two back in the day.....I just a few days ago found this site, what a great find. So....Hello to all. Denny Zimmerman

While I'm at it, Anyone know Don Collings from Canada or how to get a hold of him. I drove his sprint car in ( I think ) 67. For all I know he may be on this site it's hard to tell because few folks use their real name. I've figured out a few, I'm still trying to figure out who Jerry Karl's nephew is. Denny Z

27. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Thanks Rootie, I didn't have either of those and I had never seen it as original. Denny Z

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Those are from Open Wheel mag. 4/95. The second pic is as it was restored by McConnell. I'll scan the artical.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

... double click for large size.

Attached Files:

• dz1.jpg
      dz1.jpg
      File size:
      241.3 KB
      Views:
    • dz2.jpg
      dz2.jpg
      File size:
      364.9 KB
      Views:
    • dz3.jpg
      dz3.jpg
      File size:
      339.4 KB
      Views:
    • dz4.jpg
      dz4.jpg
      File size:
      357 KB
      Views:
  30. B99

B99
    from indiana

Don't let Denny Zimmerman fool any of you, the guy was one heckuva race driver and had the privilege of driving in the "Golden Era", the 1960's. The 1971 Indy Rookie of the Year!

Hey, didn't Gary B run Joe Hunt's dirt car at Indy taking (or at least tryng) part of his rookie test in the thing???