Register now to get rid of these ads!

fans, mech or elec? what do you run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I have read and searched on here about this question. Cannot find a thread that gives a solid answer. I know this can go either way and is mostly personal preference. I am new to the classic car world and everything I have had before is electric fans. Thank you in advance for the guidance.

I am in the process of figuring out what fan to run on my 327. I have a complete march pulley system that I bought from a friend that is really nice. Thought of running electric fans, then thought of running a mechanical fan. I like the mechanical fan for one main reason right now. Keeps the original look of the motor. I am concerned about losing HP, that is why I thought of electric. what are the positives and negatives of both?

With running a mechanical fan, is there a light weight blade that doesnt cause so much drag on the motor and rob hp?

I have heard horrible things about flexlites. others companies, Derale??

Thanks

motor in question:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A lot depends on what kind of car your trying to squeeze the 327 into. HRP

3. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I also live in and around NYC area, where traffic is an understatement. I have also read that mechanical fans run the risk of over heating while sitting in traffic due to the fans not spinning as fast. Should this be considered as well? truth?

4. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Sorry going into my 55 1st series chevy pickup.

5. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I hate the sound of an electric fan in an old car, but if it's necessary what can you do? I have heard the stories of the flexlites but never had anyhing like a breakeage happening to me. Used them for years.

6. A lot of the running hot depends on the aftermarket pulleys,,If the are the same size top and bottom you are probably gonna run hot reguardless of the electric or engine driven fan.

I still prefer the steel blade fan to the electric,,,

As far as the light weight flex fans comming apart,,a local guy was killed setting his timming several years ago in my home town when a blade let go,,,HRP

7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have been lucky with flex fans but I constantly check them and i have caught a couple before they could have caused any damage. These days with the way traffic can be i run both and have managed to stay out of the red.

8. mac762

mac762

Use both and take the mech fan off in the winter. :)

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

too many possible problems with electrics in my opinion..

relays, switches, motors, wires..etc.........

mechanical

Fan and belt...

K.I.S.S.

300 horse driving your fan and when its running its doing the work.
    seems simple enough that they did it that way for many years, it worked than, it will work now

10. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

i should clarify more. Sorry. I will only use the march set-up if I run electric fan, kind of feel like they go together. If I run engine driven I will run OE 327 pulleys and brackets. Like the march system, but feel like it is too much "BLING" for the motor.

Mac and Merlin, am I understanding you properly? Your running elec fan and engine fan?

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like to run a mechanical fan whenever I can. I have to run an electrical in my Merc with a 8ba because of space issues but it's hood is always closed so it does not bother me all that much. I am trying everything I can to keep the mechanical fan in my '35 but since the engine bay is so small it's really difficult. I might try leaning the radiator forward a bit even though it may cause some fitting issues with the hood.

I always wondered about turning the water pump shaft down so that it's and 1/8"-1/4" closer to the pulley.

12. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I've got a mechainical fan on my car and have built about 10 hot rods with mechanical fans. Never had a problem with any of them overheating in NYC taffic.

As far as robbing horse power, do you plan on racing this car on The B.Q.E. or on a track? If you're not building a race car and going for a record, losing a half a horse power cause of a mechaincal fan shouldn't really matter that much.

A lot of cars that I see overheating are running these insane race motors in a car that never see's a track in it's life.

If you're building a street car, put a street able engine it in and you'll be that much happier in the long run.

13. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

come on Zombie, you know hot fun it is to race on the BQE for the 32 seconds a day that is not stop dead traffic. You know like 4:23 AM. haha.

As far as racing it. I do plan on takiing it to the track, just for shits and giggles. Dont plan on going full race. More of a street cruiser. I am happy to hear you never had a problem in NYC with mech fans. pretty much answered my question. Thank you.

14. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Okay, I started with a mechanical fan in my '42 pickup with a small-block Chevy. When I swapped the motor out for a new one (another small block) I switched over to an electric fan and a big ass Ron Davis aluminum radiator and an Edelbrock pump and had all sorts of cooling issues.

Swapped back to a mechanical fan and it got worse until I built a custom shroud and it got better. It still gets up to 210-degrees on the freeway, but the minute I hit traffic or get off onto surface streets is goes right back down to 185-190. I know, it is ass backwards, but that's what the gauge says...

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I ran a real 1970 LT-1 ( 350 cubic inch 370 horsepower ) engine in my 1955 Chevrolet Cameo Carrier pickup.

[​IMG]

I ran a mechanical fan.
    Never had a problem with the engine running HOT.

I had the radiator set in the correct factory position for a SBC equipped 55 pickup. I had a fairly large Corvette 7 blade clutch fan on the 350. It was similar to the one in the photo below.

[​IMG]

I adapted a metal fan shroud off a early 60's Chevrolet ... similar to the one shown below.

[​IMG]

I ran a 180 degree thermostat and the 350 ran right on the thermostat ...
    I live in the HOT HUMID South where 90 plus temperatures are common in the summertime.

Never had it overheat :D

16. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I run both systems. My roadster and coupe have electric fans, mostly due to space constraints. They work well enough, although it gets hot enough here to really test the system from time to time.

My pickup uses a big factory fan attached to the water pump. It wouldn't cool very well at all until I installed a shroud. Hasn't ever overheated since (about 15 years).

Even though I have two vehicles with electric (three if you count my wife's daily) and only one with mechanical, I think mechanical is preferred, if it isn't too much of a headache to package it. On the other hand, don't think for a minute that an electric fan can't do the job if set up correctly.

17. maniac

maniac

I have that same fan that Duece roadster posted in the pic in my 38 Chevy, never had a problem, sat in traffic at the GWB more times than I want to remember:eek:

18. Keep It Simple Stupid! The only fans I've ever had trouble with were electrics. I hate 'em. I've had lots of V-8 closed hood A/C and power everything cars, with mechanical fans, never had an overheat due to a mech. fan. Electrics, several times. Just my $0.02.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Mechanical fan on everything I own...don't trust electric thermostats, switches, etc...figure the factory engineers figured it all out for me...and unless you change pulleys, etc., then it should work as produced...besides, electrical stuff is not cheap...a fan belt is.

R-

20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Mechanical 5 blade fan, a shroud, and a radiator sized for what you need to cool!
    If you are running an automatic consider a good quality remote cooler and do not go through the radiator. Remember a high stall speed creates a lot of heat you will need to size the cooler accordingly
    Good Luck!

21. diamond dave

diamond dave

i got a flexi in my 50, and run mostly 185 to 195 sitting in traffic. if it gets much hotter than that, i turn on the front mounted electric fan for a minute or two. it has an aluminum radiator, but i think it may be a little small, and i'm gonna get a bigger one eventually. but it's nice to have that electric fan just in case. and you cant see it between the radiator and the grille. plus, i made up a simple shroud out of stainless, that's going on it. that's what i use. but when i get the bigger radiator, i'll probly never need the electric one.

22. pricejap

pricejap

I just got my '51 running a few weeks ago. I'm running a 283 with a electric fan. With the fan on in the driveway it has not got over 185. Thats with the stock radiator.[​IMG]

23. pricejap

pricejap

Also could not run the stock fan because it would hit the lower radiator hose.

24. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've seen WAY too many mechanical fans being used unshrouded. How in the hell do you expect them to work properly if they can't pull air? If set up properly mechanical is the way to go. They should easily make a piece of paper stick to the front of the radiator even at an idle. Have you ever seen an aftermarket fan that didn't come shrouded!

25. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I bought the my car with an unshrouded flex fan. awful. I swapped engines and due to no space switched to a dual electric off a ford contour. it has an integral shroud. That thing moves a *lot* of air. I can't give any facts since I haven't got the exhaust and steering hooked up, but with the fans on you can feel it sucking air when you walk past the grille.

If I had the choice, I'd run a clutch fan with a shroud for reliability and simplicity plus you don't hear the motors running at idle. Also the elec suck a lot of juice, 30amps +

The wiring is pretty simple, just a couple $2 relays from delcity.net and however you want to activate the fans. I was going to use a sensor that goes off at 200* or when the A/C is on, but decided to just run them both all the time to avoid some problems . I'll run A/C pretty much anytime I drive it since it gets w a r m in the car, and I live in gridlocked L.A., so the car will be idling a lot.

26. 69fury

69fury

i'm a firm believer that a properly shrouded mechanical on a thermal clutch is a very effective, durable piece of tech.

Having said that, I will only run electrics in a hot rod. It's just not worth the risk. A 650hp rotary guillotine?

Not worth the danger of a mechanical failure unloading that much energy into your car or the car/person next to you. If i'm pushing something to it's limits, then catastrophic failure must be planned for.

And avoidance is the first step. What you cant avoid, you minimize.

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The discussion on fans is kinda like,who is better in bed a blonde or a redhead?:D You are going to get lots of conflicting opinions.The fibreglass or aluminum flex fans should be avoided,the H.D. Flex-a Lite stainless steel fans are reliable units or the clutch fans if used with a good fitting shroud will do well.Living here in Phoenix (Hell on earth in the summer) I have had better performance with an electric fan,look at your newer cars with the emissions crap and higher engine temps they are all electric these days,but they draw current and you need a stout alternator and relays to run one.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont know man, but in my experiance the Redhead had it...hands down:cool::D

29. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

Have an electric fan in my 40ford seems to work well and does not overheat. I have it wired from my temperature guage to come on at about 190c I got the switch from Dakota digital.
    I have 383 sbc and a turbo400. Tranny uses a derale oil pan you know the ones with holes in to aid cooling, then I put the trans cooler lines through an independant filter by FRAM I fitted it where old mechanical fuel pump used to be, it has a sender unit built in and I have a trans temperature guage in the car , lines then go into a Griifin Aluminum radiator and out in seperate trans cooler then back to transmission.

This setup works well for me.........

30. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

....just a thought if you do run electric try and get a "puller" and not a "pusher" as the pusher sits outside the engine bay and I have heard that it can restrict air travelling into the vehicles radiator.........