Register now to get rid of these ads!

How would you build a 40 chevy sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mudd, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Mudd

Mudd

I'm considering buying a 40 chevy 2dr sedan project. Anybody seen or have good pics of these cars, I'm leaning toward hotrod: torque thrust, hot S.B 4 spd. Black pleated interior etc. Kinda 70's street machine type. What do you guys think?

2. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Sounds good Mudd.. Keep looking there are tons of pics out there. I have a coupe.

3. Mudd

Mudd

Thanks I'm thinking going that route because I have most the parts, however I do have some chrome reverse on wide whites and a good 235 banger could do 50's custom with white interior and twin carb 6 split manifold and lakes pipes

4. wizzard23

wizzard23

Taildragger!!!!!!! Lowered, skirts ,big hubcaps, wide whites, etc.

5. Mudd

Mudd

yeah I have a 47 chevy coupe that I'm doing that way, actually it's Mike Brimms old car the one that was in Rod and Kulture #9, tech article Mike built the flush skirts. I'm body working it now and need to raise the trans tunnel for drive shaft clearance, it's gonna be super low in rear, wide whites full caps 48 Olds grill, 48 Hudson taillights and maybe 53 buick headlights. I'm hoping have it finished later this year.

6. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

x1000

7. x2000

8. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

did you do a search here? there are pics avaiable now.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

40 chevy... bomb if it is a 4 door, HOT ROD a 2 door. what the world needs is more 5 spokes and fewer wide whites.

you can get those pretty low without screwing it up with bags. 5 spokes, bigs and littles, nice little down in front rake. yeah baby!!.

10. aaggie

aaggie

I'm building a '40 2dr Special Delux right now. I used a Ford 8.8 rear out of a 2001 Exploder and ordered a rear spring and shackle kit from Kimbridge Eng. so the wheels would be centered in the fenders. The front suspension is from Jim Meyer Racing and it is a thing of beauty, it took two months to arrive after I ordered it so they make them per your specs.

I bought both inner and outer rocker panels, cowl bottoms and rear quarter panels from Chevs of the Forty's and am welding them in now. The front floor sheet metal is waiting uner the bench.

For power I have a new 350 crate SBC and 700R4. I am building the car as a daily driver and long distance cruiser so reliability is more important than all out performance.

The origional color was a very dark green and I just might go back with it, it grows on you.

Part are redily available for the old Chevy's and I expect to haveit on the road in time for Googuys this October.

11. Mudd

Mudd

I'm already building a taildragger 47 coupe so looking more like hotrod right now, plus I could still throw the wide whites and chrome reverse on it from time to time! Now just for color scheme. I have a gallon of Rootbeer metallic been saving, and some Harley Davidson Gold metallic left from a job, or maybe????

12. Echs

Echs

Sorry about arriving late on this thread. But I've found myself in a similar situation recently.

I have researched and researched and poured over pictures...but is there any good way at all to alter that body without it looking like a streetrod? Is lowering and wide whites the extent of acceptable customization?

I need ideas!!! I'm at a loss. Can it be chopped? Or maybe a different sort of fenders?

Thank you for all consideration.

Echs