Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 41-48 Ford Customs which do you like, business coupe or long door??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 18, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I got enough junk to convert my sedan project to a coupe...it would be easier to do a long door, but man I love some of the early 50's built sleds with the short doors lemme here what you guys think of them and which you would prefer !

2. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Short doors.. but im biased:D, heres my project

Attached Files:

3. If it was up to me I'd choose a business coupe...the flow is soo right !
    If you decide on a long door....both are awsome :D !
    /primerkid

Attached Files:

Scooterville likes this.
  4. fms427

fms427

I like long doors ( mine) :D:D !! Really, I like both - but i'm easy.....

Attached Files:

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Your car is the one thats making it hard to decide lol I saved those pics quite awhile ago ! Even got the Plymouth bumpers for it already :D

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love your car, I think I have gone through your chop thread about 10 times ! I might have a lead on a 41 front clip as well...I havent seen the car for 6 or seven yrs though and I cant remember how rusty it was, still gotta check it out though !

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I know you can really get such nice flow.... I want to cut it hard to 5 or 6 inches so that long slope would be bitchin !

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Do you have any progress pics of the chop on this beauty?

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I like shorts, personally.

10. fms427

fms427

No, sorry, I did it a long time ago - back in the 80's. I didn't document very well back then ! Biggest issue ( on both long and short door ) is getting rid of the "hump" in the rear of the roof. A LOT of new metal in the rear of the roof !!

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ya that should be fun but I have a couple of friends who have english wheels....and I was fortunate enough to attend a Gene Winfield workshop last weekend to get me fired up! I really like the Lopez coupe from back in the day...did you have any fancy tools when you did yours , if not how did you go about it?

12. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have a short door and a long door, I cant afford to keep both, so I am selling my long door, the ads in the hamb clasifieds under chopped 47 ford coupe, its cheap and will at least give you an idea of which way you want to go. I personaly like the short door better but the disadvantage is that the bussines coupe did not have a back seat.

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think long doors look better chopped and short doors look better unchopped.

That said I have an unchopped long door I still like it.

14. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hey guys feel free to post any pics of some of your favourites.

16. phat rat

phat rat

Business coupe chopped

Attached Files:

17. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

18. fms427

fms427

Obviously, customs from the late 40's, early 50's provided a lot of the inspiration for my car - Lopez one of them!! The shaping was done the hard way - a lot of hammer and dolly work !! You're lucky to have access to an english wheel - I don't think I knew what one was. Whichever way you go, just pay a lot of attention to the flow - get it outside often to look it over. Good luck !

19. I personally am partial to business coupes unchopped and long door coupes chopped. Business coupes with there shorter roof line look awkward chopped unless done conservatively. they usually end up with a ski slope roof line. Long door coupes have that hump in the roof line by the rear seat area and so to me almost need to be chopped to look smooth. Most of the early custom 41-48 fords were long door coupes. The only notable exceptions are Snooky Janich's and the Jack stewart car. I currently have a 46 business coupe and like how the roof flow is stock. It looks more Hot Rod to my eye than a long door coupe. if it was a long door coupe it would be chopped and tail dragger stance. Customs to me should be long and low.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man you guys are giving great arguments to both versions...I thought this might make my decision easier!

21. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

I chopped my business coupe....hope no one here dis-aproves on the HAMB

22. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

How can you not like this baby..........

Attached Files:

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I always loved the Sam Foose '48.......long door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. romie

romie

I have to agree, Business coupes look good either way. Short door it is.

25. I have a business coupe chopped. moved the B-pillar back 8 1/2 inches and installed long doors. I guess I like both

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I gotta admit I do love the Foose car ( the one above isnt it though)...it really started my love of customs when I was about 8 yrs old I bought the 1001 custom and rod ideas magazine( or whatever it was called) with Sams car on the cover...I musta read that article 1000 times , plus the chop On Curleys Merc was in the same issue as well..... man this isnt getting any easier!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  27. koolkemp

koolkemp

28. Aussie 48

Aussie 48

hi
    Just to clarify a point about Sam Foose's car above ,I have an article in Rod and Custom Magazine Dec 1996,that says that is was chopped by Gene Winfeild and only painted by Sam Foose .Can any one else shed light on it or know who owned it

29. 38mag

38mag

I prefer the short door, My '41 short door in progress. 5" chop, 302, C4, Mustang front, 8"rear
    I'm planning on taking it to the Detroit Autorama Extreme.
    P9160001.JPG 8" rear

30. figure8

figure8

I have a '42 short door driver. 350/350 9" M2. Need to sell it as I have too many toys. I tried to upload a photo, but it said it was too big. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.