Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I hear guys get`n slammed on here for not being traditional all the time,can you even hear your radios with run`n strait headers.I coulnt even hear mine when I had a newer mustang w/ cams and magnaflow magna packs and that was with a mach 1000 system,Im not even worried about a radio in my 48,just say`n

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. I would say hot rods, not a chance of hearing it. I think this thread is geared more towards folks with cruisers, customs and drivers.

3. Tacson

Tacson

I was talking to a car stereo guy about this today. He suggested using a motorcycle amp that has an unput for an IPOD. Does that sound right or is it a whole lot more work than the setup suggested here by Negative Matt? I have reviewed the October 2009 Rod and Custom magazine issue on this very subject. Thanks

4. Silverado85

Silverado85

[​IMG]

I don't listen to the ipod while driving an old car. Leave the Ipod home and get a short wave!!!

5. Wicked50

Wicked50

they do this on motorcycles

6. JimSwann

JimSwann

Great Tech!! I built this per the article. It charges an IPOD, has 2 speakers, and is self contained just needs 12v power. I can use it in the shop with the 110 to 12volt adapter or in my old beater. The housing is a 49 Packard tube radio but the dial and the box are inverted.

Attached Files:

7. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Thanks. Great info, I'll try it.

8. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

10. K' more of a generic wiring question.

The headphone jack on any player (or my phone for that matter) has 3 connections. I'm assuming 1 is a common ground.
    How would wiring up an amp to that work?
    Are the grounds common inside the amp, normal car radio?

11. A stereo jack would have 3 connections, one for GND, one for Left speaker and one for Right speaker. They make adapters that take that stereo headphone jack and switch it over to RCA connections. You would then plug that into the input of your amplifier. Do you already have an amp? I can get you the adapter cable and an amp if ya need it.

12. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had this setup in my wagon. Was cheap and worked great!
    Gonna do the same thing in my A Coupe.
    -Jeremy

13. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

14. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

15. Haven't really looked at motorcycle amps, but I would imagine they are similar to car amps. Probably smaller and less power, but that's just a guess. If you're doing a car application I would use the extra power provided by a car amp. End result either way should be the same though. You MP3 player would feed the input of the amp with the amp driving the speakers and your MP3 player providing all controls.

16. Yea, already got an amp.
    There I go overthinking stuff again. Shoulda known there was an adapter, thanks

17. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

I think a disguised/hidden amp/MP3/Ipod setup would be fine in a hotrod, since my buddy has an Electraglide (w/ LOUD exhaust on it) w/ a stereo that can be heard just fine-- In addition to the stock 4-1/2" (or something like that) speakers in his fairing, he put a 6x9 in each saddlebag- firing into the bike, through a series of holes bored into the inner saddlebag- and has it powered by a small Alpine (I think) amp-- it sounds incredible when the bike is off. With it running, it's still clear as can be. Even when I roll up next to him on my Harley, I can hear it.
    I imagine "most" hot rods are no louder than a Harley w/ a modified exhaust.

18. jasone

jasone

I have an older pioneer headunit in the dash of my '54 Ford....put there by the previous owner (ruined it BTW). I do not have an amp or a cigarette lighter. I have found the FM transmitter type that run on batteries or cigarette lighters. My question is, can I run the cable in the very first post directly into my head unit?

19. Depends on the head unit on what all ya can plug into it, but you can always use one of those RF modulators and an extra input for an MP3 player, etc... Be easy to do especially since you already have a unit in the dash and I'm assuming speakers wired up. The only reason I would suggest a hidden amp is if you wanted to clean up the dash and remove the head unit. That's what I had to do to my Valiant cause I could live with the CD player unit in the dash.

[​IMG]

20. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

So I've asked, and someone else did way back on page 5....how do you get a modern amp to work on a 6 volt car?

21. You would need some sort of DC to DC voltage converter that would handle the power demands of a decent amp. Don't know of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure they exist.

You could also just hide a small car/motorcycle battery that is 12V to power your amp. Should last quite some time and just give er a good charger before a long trip. :)

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

If you want the factory look but more dash space you can use just the face off your radio. I took my 61' AM radio apart used the glass, bezel, and radio plate. The parts were mounted to the dash by tapping the radio knobs and bolting it from behind. The dash looked factory and I gained a ton of space behind the dash for a few other goodies. My next one will have lights behind the face and I want to be able to remove one knob with the Ipod hook-up behind it.

23. I did the simple mp3 player straight into an amp for Dad's 65 chevelle.
    Worked just fine, for a while.

For some reason the radio pooped out.

Has anyone ran into problems with this?
    I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the antenna-headphone wire going to the amp?

Thom

24. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

No kidding. Death of the music industry? Seriously. My iPod makes me want to get MORE music. I can hold 3500 songs in something smaller than a wallet now...

those 3500 songs were originally on 300+ CDs that now reside on 2 boxes on my shelves which are each the size of a microwave.

25. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Hey Matt!
    Sittin' in the airport?? Shippin' out??? I hadn't heard anything about that. Richard was here all weekend, building a chassis for my latest lobuck project and never said a word. I don't think he knows. How about a quick update on what's happenin?? We need to keep an eye on Stacey and the boys for a while??

26. hey garry,
    i'm here at beautiful ft. bragg until september 24th. i'll be home for a week, then off to afganistan for a piece. i was gonna make the rounds that week i'm back and give everybody the details....glad you guys are thinkin of me!! we sold the house in valley view, so the family is moving closer to denton...all is well..."ovaltine" is in good hands down in deep ellum

27. sickboy_13

sickboy_13

I'm hooking up my stereo like this and just have a question about what to do with the turn-on wire that comes from the amp. Normally this would plug into the head, but since I'm not using one, I'm not sure where it should go. If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

28. cretin

cretin

Hook it up to your ignition, so it turns on when the car is on

29. I ran mine off of the battery through a toggle switch under the dash so I can turn it on or off as I want.

30. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB