Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quick help with Napa "Martin Senour" Paint.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Apr 13, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I searched thru the posts the best I could to find an answer but no luck... So I thought I would post to see what comes up.

I picked up a gallon of this paint at the local Napa this week along with the reducer and associated hardener. I am planning to shoot my firewall and chassis for the '56 project with it here shortly. I'm OK with the fact that it's gloss black but wanted to know if there is a flattening agent that can be added to produce a satin like finish? If the answer is "nothing" then thats fine and I'll go to town. I would like to make this as simple as possible and wondered if there was a product you could just add in?

Thanks Much,

Robert M.

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Robert,
    You didn't mention which one of Martin Senour's lines of paint this was, but I'm gonna guess this is an acryilc enamel. I'm sure that Senour sells a flattening agent for their product lines, you may wanna call and check, but something on the order of a 1.1 mix is necessary for most flat finishes, a semi finish "perhaps" on the order of 75%. I have used talc, and even sheetrock dust, lightly sifted, before, but I'd suggest a commerical product be used.

Good luck with your paint project-

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

3. uncle buck

uncle buck

If it is acrylic enamel just go back and ask for QT22 or GAL22 for quart or gallon sizes. Follow Pimp daddys (j/k) instructions for how flat you want it. He is always sharp on his paint knowledge. Dave

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Pimpin paint is right, I think the Dupont universal flattener would work( Its looks like Talc and solvent to me )...sorry, I cant think of any generics.

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wow! Great guys! Thanks much....

I just noticed today that there was replies to this thread. So sorry for the delayed response. I did buy the acrylic enamel version and I haven't had a chance to go back in and ask they NAPA guys for updates. Funny thing is that I called the NAPA in Santa Rosa to ask them thinking that I would just drop by on lunch time to get the stuff and it turns out that these paints are not allowed in SR proper. However in Healdsburg, 15mins north they are OK. Fuck'n California....

But if the Dupont stuff will do it that's much easier. I need new Mask Cartridges anyhow. That's only at the local paint house.

Thanks Again!

Robert M.

6. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

side note on talc
    I used to pickup talc from 3 forks mine in Montana off I90. The guys there told me that deposit runs under the mountains to the mine at exit 50 something off I15.
    I have a 10# chunk of soapstone as a souvenir. I would have liked to have one of the 5 ton boulders to clear coat and put in the corner of the yard...pretty stone...
    dry it looks like white ocean surf but wet it turns this cool shade of glass green.
    they told me it gets ground into powder and is used as an anti caking agent in the food industry and as a calcium supplement.

I delivered it to a place in Missouri that manufactures fiberglass resin.
    The resin was clear until they added the talc.
    The talc turned the clear watery polymer to the fiberglass resin gel we all know.
    I never knew it's cool color comes from talc which I always assumed was white.

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So.... QT22 is $96.00ea.... I think the frame is gonna be gloss black.... I will re post exactly what the can says later to see if you guys think the Dupont stuff will work. Otherwise I guess I could return it all and grab some SEM hotrod black? Or like product?

The gallon of paint cost me like 48.00 and the other shit to go with totaled up to like 120.00 or so. I can't see pouring another 192.00 into it for just a 50% flatting agent....

Hmmm...

More news soon,

Robert M.

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The can of Paint is PN 6001 Industrial Coating Etc Etc... I think this is a Acrylic enamel product? The hardener is now from the new ACME line which apparently is the same line and It's marked as a synthetic enamel hardener? Is that the same as a Acrylic Enamel Hardener? And does that open the door to the DuPont stuff?

Let me know your thoughts....

Robert M.

9. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

$30 gallon alkyd Tractor enamel holds up pretty good if you spray it over etching primer and it's just a driver.
    if it needs to be pretty I'd stay with the gloss which would be much easier to clean up, you could even wax it.
    stuff that's hard to clean tends to get neglected

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Called the tech line and its a good thing I did! No Flattening agent for this paint... It's the "Alkyd Enamel" not Acrylic Enamel so the $96/Quart QT22 will not jive with it..... Again, more California stuff... So the dude said your gonna be gloss black! No big deal. It will look just fine being shinny!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and help!

Robert M.

11. Believe it or not, the non-aerosol paint branded for stoves is an excellent flat black with anti-rust and hi-temp properties. I even used it to freshen up the bed liner in my Toyletta P U and 2 years later it still looks great. I usually get it at True Value.

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Robert,

You may wanna look in the Rustoleum & Valspar lines for synthetic enamel hardeners, they may have a flattening agent, as well. The addition of a hardner (catalyst) to a finish will increase gloss some , and must be taken into account when mixing a semi or mat finish.
    Sheesh! 96 bucks for alittle ground pumace or talc and some binder, fuck that!
    If you think painting vehicles in the "Peoples Republic of Kaliforina " sucks now, jus' wait, 2-3 years from now no solvent based finishes in most counties, all "Treehugger Kool-Aid based finishes"

" What happened to my country?"