Register now to get rid of these ads!

'65 Riviera Gauge Cluster Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I was nervous over the weekend not having real gauges, just the idiot lights. I am thinking I can find a 4 way guage, like in the '48-'54 Chevy trucks, and put the guts behind the Buick gauge face, with the needles where the lights are now. Here's a too-dim photo of my gauge:
    [​IMG]
    I also plan to hide the hanging gauge and switches in the ashtray. Any hints or tips?

2. fms427

fms427

I have done this on several cars - shouldn't be a big problem if you are creative and don't mind a little work !! I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my 63 Riv, but haven't gotten around too it yet. much cooler than hang on gages.

3. Especially when my buddy Levi(Kona Cruisers) drives the car; he's 6'-5" and even in this big car with the seat back, he's cramped!

I will be needing 12V. What cars did you rob gauges from?

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd hate to ruin nice stock gauges..Put brighter bulbs in the idiot lights and they will grab you attention better than numerical gauges; unless you're a gauge watcher.........

5. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Looks similar to this 67 Cougar panel we just did. Took our 1967 series and fit them in the panel
    Mark
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fms427

fms427

Richard - I would use a speedo and 4-in-one gage , from one of the several makers out there, and put them under the Riv bezel and face. Would look much like the previous post !

7. Is there not a stock full-gauge cluster? 63-64 Buicks all used the same or similar gauges, don't know if '65 does. But that typeface was used on most late 60s and early 70s GM car gauges, too, so it shouldn't be hard to find something that looks right. 71-76 Pontiac full size car?

I have a '63 console that had a couple aftermarket gauges cut into the panel above the ashtray - didn't look too bad there.

8. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

doesn't a 65 impala have similar sized 'pods' with gauges? i know the impala speedo is rectangular, but the end 'pods' are round.

9. fbama73

fbama73

Good plan to hide the hanging switch and gauge panel- Looks as out of place as a turd in an easter basket right now.

10. parklane

parklane

If you go with the 48 - 54 type of gauges, get them from a 60s bus. I did that with my 54 p/u and the gauges are 12v.

11. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

and I bruised my shin driving the car on the edge of the panel.

12. Definitely, I hate those hanging gauges.

These are all good ideas, I'm sure something will work. I have damaged a couple cars in the past due to defective idiot lights/gauges.

13. BinderRod

BinderRod

I am also 6'5" and will be moving the front seats back 4" in my 65. My kids are grown and don't need the back seats any way.

14. ryno

ryno

keith,
    the back seats are not for passengers in these cars....

15. Actually, I as well as Nathan(Fuzzymind) who is at least 6', rode in the back seat several times during the Roundup, and were perfectly comfortable. It would be tough to have fun with a girl back there, however.

16. Bringing this back up.

17. slacker1965

slacker1965

I haven't heard of any plug-n-play solutions, but have seen a few 4 in 1 gauge systems out there in the aftermarket....
    let us know

18. bb1970

bb1970

I hid a temp gauge in the right side of the ash tray. I can still stash small stuff in the left side of the ash tray. And still close the lid to hide it. I'll bet you could fit temp and oil pressure gauges there.

19. As much as I hate the look of them, this might be a good place for some digital gauges.....

20. Same thing I said before. Console above the ashtray will hold 2-3 of the small round gauges. Console I had for my '50 was cut for two.

And again, there must be a factory full gauge cluster for these cars. If they made them for 71-72 full size Pontiac sedans, they made one for these. Looked on eBay for anyone parting out a car?

21. eightbanger

eightbanger

do what you will, but at some point do that nice wood wheel some justice and get a re-pro horn bar!

22. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Classic instraments make some bitchen 4 combo real gages like stock that exact size, and a Speedo sweep Tach gage and matching clock. All cost the bucks though. Ive talked to them asking for custom stuff like red illumination and real carbon fiber faces. They can do but it costs. Since I have the interior gutted I am setting the seat holes back 2 inches also for better leg room and going to cut and reshape the seat contour and adding a center arm rest from a 1990 Mercedes Benz that will be matched leather to the seats, it flips up and has a storage compartment for phone or radio controlls, havnt decided yet?

[​IMG]

23. bb1970

bb1970

They didn't make a full gauge cluster for 63-65 Rivs.

24. I don't think anyone make them or I would! Real ones are high dollar.

I will never install digital gauges in anything I own, they suck. I am going to hide the suspension controls in the ashtray.

25. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

26. I really like what this guy did to his 65. Gold suede paint job and a 63 or 64 Riv interior pieces with some 65 accents. This car is done up really nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. I cant get the pictures to load but, If you'ed like to see it... Google "65 buick riviera goldfinger" Its a really nice car. He used a 64 dash and some interior pieces with some 65 pieces. Looks really bitchin.

28. Looks like he has the idiot lights too.

29. Neatname

Neatname
    from Spokane WA

Have you done this yet? Could you take some photos while doing it? I'm 6'5 as well and know the awkward leg placement in the Riv's..