Register now to get rid of these ads!

29Jay Model A Sedan Progress Report

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, May 17, 2009.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acbxp0qJQgw

Here is the video guys. It was not as dark out as it lookes. I had a friend compress it and post it on youtube for me... I headed to my cousin's shop in New Branfels (Miller Street Works) this afternoon. We will tweeek the breaks, carbs and shift linkage to make sure everything is right.
    Look for me and the famalie Saturday at LSR.
    Jay

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Well done Jay!
    Can't wait to get mine running.

3. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

YeeHawwww!!!! She sounds good Jay!

4. bibb86

bibb86

nice, lets some some pics outside. p.s. that thing sounds sweet, good job

5. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

When I get the trailer over here I will do another lap in the daylight. One out side the car and one POV. Or just come see it in Austin...

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEAH!!! Stoked for you man!! You were up early with this video...

What transmission are you running?? (I forget and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm also lazy) Are you having kick-down issues?

I agree! Car sounds great! Wish I was to this point!

7. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I was hoping for a few still shots. I can't open up youtube at work. Make sure and take some at LSR. I will be here in the ER all weekend.

8. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

It is a 727 Torqueflite... I think it was one of the rear breaks was too tight... it seemed to drag... a lot of RPM to make her move... I did not ever go fast... but it needed a heavier foot to get it to move... But that was the first round of adjustments with many many more to go. I still need to do the alignment and re-double check everything...

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, gotcha! That's right. I remember the 727... Again, good choice!

10. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We made to LSR!!! I had a late night thrash on Thursday with HUGE help from HotRob. Thanks bud! Friday was a drama filled do to get the trailer that was supposed to be ready... But we got it and got on the road just in time to sit in Ft Worth rush hour trafic. We got to my cousin's hous at 11:00PM. We hit the shop at 7:00 for another quick thrash to work out my shifting bugs. Turnes out I had the linkage connected wrong... a couple of other quick adjustments and we were headed to Austin. We were late, but no one seemed to care. We had a great spot in the grass by a nice shady tree... What a great time!!!

Here is a short day time video.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=1-2SedanUpdatePics157.flv&newest=1

11. Big Dad

Big Dad

whew !!

The ol' 318 sounds like a champ

good job man !

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Big Congrats man... i know its a long time coming, but I also know you have a kewl ride with a lot of sweet and tears...

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great man! Did you figure out what the drag feeling was??

14. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Yes! It was not the breaks. It was the shift linkage. I used a Geni Shifter. It had two ways to instal it. Mid-mount or tail (rear) mount. I went with the mid... The linkage rod needed some mods. We added a 1/2" of theads to each end and cut off a 1/2" from each end. The tighend everything up. The draging... was not the trans not getting into the right gear from the start. like starting in second or something...

As said by many... "this is not for sissies" and... ' if it was easy, everyone would be doing it" :D

15. Abomination

Abomination

OUTSTANDING!

That poly sounds so good... you could charge $3.99/min for folks to call in and hear it!

~Jason

16. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I'll bet you'd be 1st in line for that one too, right... That is with out the carbs fully set up. Do you think Gary would be proud of his cam recomendations? You are welcome to hijack the link and put it on your 318 Poly site.
    Jay

17. Abomination

Abomination

That, I may do!

~Jason

18. balls47

balls47
    from Colorado

Jay, been following this thread and decided to finally chime in, Awesome work man that is a beauty. I would love to get some info. from you on a few things like the frame, amount of chop and channel,wheels and tire. I am just beginning to strip down a 29 Tudor i picked up for a father and son build and would love to set it up close to what you have done.

Allen

19. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Always glad to return the favor... 4" chop, 4" channel... '48 Ford 16x4.5 wheels w/ 7.5 rear 'Stones & 4.5 front. Ford 9" in the rear... 12" Z rear, 4.5" Z in front... Anything else, just ask away... I have $.02 to give...;)

20. pecker head

pecker head

Boy , you still smiling like you were at the Round Up ?

21. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

You know it! In fact I felt like I needed to get from the road this week just to look at it. I could not stop thinking about driving it around the block again. I keep looking at all the upcoming shows, knowing I need seats and glass to drive very far...:D:D:D I'm all smiles..... My chick digs my Hot Rod too... even better!

22. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Jay:
    We need to take a day to cruise the junkyards and see if we can find a couple minivan seats for our rides. I have mine back in the garage and I am rarin to go on it.

23. Abomination

Abomination

Dude: here's your new seats:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465953

~Jason

24. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I was telling Shari that just yesterday. They fit, they fold, and I know we can cut the middle and mak'em fit over the hump...

25. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Alright, it is time to tell this story.... After the day that Dan and I had the very 1st ever Keller Hot Rod meeting in my neighborhood, my Sedan had crapped out. Well, the trany did at least... from some of the posts abouve, the trans was not right... The Day Dan & I got together, we drove around the block and took some pics by the school.

Attached Files:

26. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We took those pics and we went back to my house. As I pulled into the driveway, the sedan acted like it was in 3rd gear into the drive. It would not re-start after that. Emotion takes over and you can't trouble shoot very good any more. We went to lunch at a local BBQ spot... A few week later...

I dropped of the sedan at the trany shop... A loose wire on the starter was the reson it did not start. Problem #1 out of the way...

The slipping feeling was related to the shift linkage. Once the guys at the shop disconected the linkage, the trany was good to go.

I did some Gennie shifter research in the how to section. It said that if you adjust one part all the way back (which I had) then you needed to adjust the arm one way or the other etc... Wish I would have read the that sooner (I'm a bone head) Ginnie does a great job in the Q & A section if one were to read it...

Trany is good to go now! 3rd trouble was a leaky dip stick. A small ding that was causing the o-ring not to do it's job. Black RTV left to dry over night was the trick. No more leaks!

However... They pulled the pan off during this process to get it all done right and found a "wad" of clutch material in the pan. This was a result of the 1st problem I described about it feeling like it was pulling away in 2nd gear. It was. And I'm a bone head!

Now I have to get it home, pull it out and take it back up there for another fix... These 1st time car builder lessons are expencive....

THANK YOU guys for all the very helpful tips and support!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

27. 63dan63

63dan63

Sounds like little stuff is nippin' at your ankles ... It can be frustrating. When you get this close, you just want to drive it!

Sorry I missed you guys at Propwash. We went to the Rangers' game. And I didn't get there until about 11:30. Sounds like I missed the crowd.

Later,

Dan

28. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

29. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

That's a shame about the trans problem,Jay.At least you know what's wrong,that's half the battle.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

30. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I got the sedan home today.