Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All good Scott! I knew what you meant! Lil' sis is just my thread screener. :D:D

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

What?!?! I was just sharpening my teeth..........didn't mean I actually BIT down.:D

I'm over protective, highly overly protective, I can't help it. Harumph!:p

3. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Looking Great Scoot I can't wait to see her hit the hiway :)

4. N8B

N8B

Scott,
    I apologize if I have asked this before or in you have answered it before but:
    How are you going to terminate the lower-most body line into the rear of the cab?
    Are you leaving it as is or are you doing a little more work there to vanish it back?
    The rear wheel wont cover it correct?

Big Brother..

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent question, my dear brother!

I actually figured someone would ask me this eventually after showing those pictures.

I have an internal battle with this right now. The wheel blocks the view, but doesn't hide it (if that makes sense). As you can see it needs more work. I have three options, none of which I will be able to deal with until it's getting reassembled:

A) carry the bead all the way around the filler panels and don't put the tail on the rear panel

B) Carry the bead around the filler panels and INTO the tail panel

C) Carry the bead into the filler panel, but then let it fade out and just have the lip turned under (since it's not really seen).

I'm leaning towards option 'B' because I really think the tail panel gives it a nice finished look and it was also part of the original car as well as a panel that was UNIQUE to this car. I think it would be worth the effort to do this. It's definitely the more difficult way of doing it, but I've come this far so I think the extra effort would be worth it.

I'll make a sketch of what I'm thinking... Hold tight!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if you can see what I'm going for from this. I have the image in my head and tried to translate it to paper. Hope it makes sense...

[​IMG]

7. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I am in agreement. I think carrying the bead all the way around would look great. As you have said you have come this far and put this much effort into it already, what is a little more? You have done some amazing work my friend.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man!!!

The cool thing is, I can work on this part of it while it's on the road. I can full access this area by simply putting it up on jack stands and taking the rear wheels off. I have to work around all the suspension components so the body has to be on to finish the rear lower panels. It's a pain, but it's the best way.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the tail panel I speak of. The complicated part is that part of it HAS to be removable so I can service the rear suspension and so the body can come off with the suspension still in place. So it's definitely a small challenge. A panel with multiple contours AND had to be removable AND look decent. Sure, most of it is hiddne, but if you get down there and look, it's right there.

OH! And the exhaust tubes have to ALSO poke through, since I'll be running cutouts. :rolleyes::eek:

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

B, go with the tail piece and finish it....we've already had this conversation on half assing versus touching everything, this is a prime example.

Choo know. =o)

11. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

You are indeed touching every part of this one. Amazing! I keep getting ideas about things I never thought of... Now I'm going to have to start another project... LOL... Each idea looks awesome. I like B best... I know you are not afraid of the tuffer work. Clearly there are no short cuts on this car!

A M A Z I N G ! !

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Go with A or C. B looks too much like Orange County Choppers. I mean, these are 80 year old cars and for them to look correct the character of that body needs to be preserved. If we start changing everything you get Shadow Rods right? The best looking Hot Rods stick to "K.I.S.S"......Keep It Simple Stupid.

I will agree that choice B looks great design wise, and you as an engineer will have a hard time leaving it alone. But you have to separate yourself as a professional I think sometimes when building a Hot Rod. Internally and structurally this car exudes your attention to detail with the Super stout quick change, 6 speed, bracketry etc but where you car can overstep the boundary and start crossing into something far from a traditional based Hot Rod is when you start fucking with the body so much that the character is lost from the original.

To me you have so much fucking Talent Scott it's not funny. You just need to reign in the restraint and let things either be as they were or allow for the simple path. Think of the best Hot Rods in history. Doan Spencer roadster was way ahead of it's time btu still very much a '32 Roadster. He changed things on that car but knew when to say enough is enough.

Just get some paint on that thing!!!!! Austin is only one year away!!!!!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Brother Nate needed an answer and you know I can't just say "I'm doing this" I have to apply entirely too much verbage in order to explain myself. In other words... "I talk too much, but this is what I'm going to do." :rolleyes::eek:

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH NO! You referenced OCC! :eek::eek: Now I really will have to carefully look at my plan to see if this is too much...

I really thought by adding the panel back into the equation I would be giving it a more finished look vs. something that just looks like a Model A pickup cab without a bed. (From an engineering standpoint it should go, but this is where I'm trying to use the other side of my brain) I also REALLY like the idea of paying homage to the original design of the car that actually USED the panel. (this is the same reason the car will NEVER have a visor, despite what people think) In addition to all this, there is a dead spot in that area when it comes to the lines. I don't like the idea of it just ending. Maybe I can take a new look at how the lines could be carried. Maybe there is an "Option D" that I just simply haven't considered yet.

Original panel...

[​IMG]

I will have to stare at this more now. Can't until the body goes back on though. I definitely like the KISS theory and now I'm concerned that maybe I WOULD be stepping outside this theory. The last thing I want is for it to look too busy and I DEFINITELY don't want it to resemble something Paul Jr. concocted! :eek::eek: BARF!

Dammit Jeffy...

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I have to admit that I constructed that thought before I seen the actual piece that you planned on using. Your drawing conjured up thoughts of crazy pullmax beaten panels and something that looked out of place. The idea of using something from the car in a different place is far better then I originally thought.

However, see the way the back of the used to be in the above image? It's never going to get better then that. A simple body line that follows the bottom of the car is really my only vision that I can see. When I look at option "B" in the real world from the picture provided, I see the piece but I also see how much other sheet metal probably will be involved to envelope the the rest of the suspension with out looking unfinished. This is where things start to get out of hand.

I trust that because the rest of this car has turned out so great that what ever you choose will be cool. I just want to see you driving this car soon. So if that involves taking a simpler approach then so be it. I think we both could benefit from taking a trip out to Spokane Washington and hanging with Chris. He builds his shit simple but it's definitely cool and certainly all Hot Rod. hahaha!!!!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You guys are pretty tight I hear...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This part of construction wouldn't stop me from driving it. I am going to look at things again.

the biggest problem I have with all this is that the 4-link is a huge disruption for the lines of the sheetmetal in that area. I would really like the lines of the body to compliment the mechanicalness of the rear suspension components. Right now it just looks like an extended pickup cab with an axle behind it. Not grooving for me.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHA!!! Awesome!!! LMAO!!

Jeesh... that bike is ugly and my face obviously shows it. :rolleyes:

Still can't believe you referenced these thick necks... (shaking head)

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a whole bag of bad references that I can use at any one time. I don't just reserve them for cars either. I can bring them up on the Sabbath or Dyngus Day. I don't know about you but The Tuddles come up daily in our house hold...breakfast, dinner....whatever!

Seriously though, did you try to picture some of the suspension pieces in paint? They take on a whole new look once they have a coat of black or whatever on them They won't scream out for attention. If I were in your pickle, I would look into making the parts that create the disruption into something beautiful. Whether that be a coat of black paint or what but on a car like your where the mechanics are so well thought out the last thing I would do it hide them. That's your bread and butter right there. Indian Larry always had a cool motto regarding the display of the inner workings on his bikes. I don't know it by word but he tried to make the bikes easy to work on and showcase the mechanical side of the bike and because of that it became something beautiful.

You're a hell of an engineer, I am sure that your four link is going to look awesome once the paint is one. But that's not saying that the "B" piece is not cool too. I just think it's not necessary.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You Tuttle lover! :D:D

Yeah, I think about that quote from Larry all the time, and fully agree! I love details. Just don't want to go too overboard. And YES! They will be black, so you're probably right. They may just disappear all together. One more reason not to obsess over this until the body is back on the frame with the components painted. That will be SOOON!

21. N8B

N8B

Scott,
    you know I am a man of few words. So with as little words as I can muster I will give you my feeble design opinion.
    You need to leave that rear kick off. The only way that kick would make sense to me in your application is if it still had the fenders on and well you don't.
    You have such great lines with everything assembled right now that putting that tail on would just disrupt so much visually.
    I hate giving opinions when not asked, but this is one I feel strongly about.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope! I wouldn't have made this public if I wasn't open to opinions! Yours (and yes even Jeffy's opionion) is appreciated! I know you guys both have the eye for details. Espcially being that you are both pretty much have the same artistic profession! (coincidence you agree with eachother?? Hmmm) I'm hearing you guys. Good point about the fenders as well. I have thought about that a few times as well.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this! I actually really appreciate all of you coming together and giving your input! THANKS!!!! I'm not one to poopoo ideas when they make sense. Especially when I'm on the fence myself about the ideas.

The reason I didn't put the panels in the bead roller before I put them in was because I didn't know exactly how they were going to work and fit. I didn't even know where to cut exactly. I started cutting and just kept trimming until it matched the rest of the lines.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

24. N8B

N8B

Jeffery is a stripper and hand model too?

25. llonning

llonning

Scooter,looking good!! Bear with me here, I think that of your current options, 'B' is the best. So far the body, to me, looks unfinished. I am not a fan of lots of curves, (on cars that is) I prefer more of a straight line approach. With motorcycles my favorite is the Art Deco Harleys. I just love the frames, all straight lines. The curves of the fenders just bring out the frame lines. I do realize that you kept the origional body lines, but it just looks unfinished. I guess time will tell when it is all said and done. I absouletly love the attention to detail in your car.

But you have to get it finished!!!!!!!!!!

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Close I smoke meth and work as a same sex prostitute.

On another note, I am interested to see how the same color frame looks. I always imagined it black but I like where you're going with it I think. part of me still says paint the fucker black!

27. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

cant wait to see more pics, keep up the great work cause you cant rush perfection

28. doctorZ

doctorZ

looooove this build.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously, you guys a crackin' me up today!! LOL! :D

Don't forget my photoshop paint job. This shows the color. It's down low and fairly hidden by the engine because of how pinched it is, but it will contrast the blacked out headers and other engine details.

[​IMG]

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Expand more on the RED above. I'm wondering if the same things that are bugging you are the same things that bug me. Something looks unfinished to me as well. I can't quite put my finger on it but my eyes always go to that area. Especially from certain angles. This could be one of those situations where because of what it is it just may always look strange from the wrong angle, but I'm not ready to give into that theory yet.