Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Moonglow

Moonglow

Hey Scooter,

You're always an inspiration. Awesome...... absolutely awesome!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've heard people mention a Pontiac, if it is an early GTO...........GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!!! I've been block sanding one for weeks and it is the most thankless car job I've ever had, the things you have to do to make a buck today.

3. 73RR

73RR

Hey Scott, all I can do is parrot what has been said over and over...awesome job!

Like you, I love the tillman gloves. I get them through my Airgas distributor.
    Which are you using? goat, deer or cow ?

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope! Way too new for me! It's a '53 Chieftain 2-door deluxe sedan. That's about as new as I like to go. Will be a road trip car. But that's a whole nother project and can't/won't start it until this is on the road.

The ones I use for fabricating are goat. I think my MIG gloves are deer skin.

Just realized they're based in Compton. Can't believe I can't find more places that have them down here. Airgas is where I used to get them, but I don't have an Airgas close by and my local welding shop just doesn't want to get them for me. Easier to order them and have them in a couple days at my door.

5. caceo

caceo

Scooter my man~
    You are truly what hot-rodding is all about. This build is so inspirational and a tribute to all of those who do not have big bucks to pay someone to build a rod for us. If mine turns out to be half as great as this, I will be a happy, happy man!
    My hat is off to you~

6. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

hey scooter i hear KRYLON makes some pretty cool blues. you might want to look into em. :D

7. Prax-Air in Costa Mesa carries Tillman and their own similar brand......off Edinger and the 55

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright! A small update! Still in that stage of doing a lot of work with little to show. I guess I'm to that part where I'm in the last 10% of the fab work on the car that amounts to 90% of the time. D'OH! Or so it seems anyway...

Gloss black paint for the suspension components is ordered and I will be picking it up on Saturday. Need to get the primer ordered yet. Mostly just been working on all the loose ends. Finishing up welds and all the other little stupid things that need to be done, paint or no paint.

First thing is first, I pretty much finished the grille shell and did a little write up on how I peaked it...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462777

[​IMG]

Since I still don't have paint supplies actually sitting in front of me, no point in being lazy. Work must continue! So on to those loose ends I mentioned. Starting with the body sub frame. Bottom still needed finish welding as well as some other attention that I couldn't see from the top down. I will paint or coat the bottom with something before it goes on the frame so I don't have to pull the body off again until I'm ready for final paint.

The Forklift was my friend this weekend! :D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like even the bottom side got a little surface rust from sitting bare metal. Ocean air is REALLY a PITA!!!!

[​IMG]

After some welding and smoothing so the subframe sits good and flat on the frame rails...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was back to forking around... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I have to go through this process at least one more time before paint/sealing in order to finish up a few more things I didn't get finished as well as give some more attention to some unfinished areas and even do a little sheetmetal work and panel straightening.

Was nice to refocus on the body a little bit. I really missed working on it!

I think that's about all I have to report at the moment. Jeesh... taking forever!

9. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Awesome! Even the underside of your car is amazing! you do great work!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Train Vs. Modified Murray......I bet the Murray comes out on top. That thing is HOSS!!!!!

Great work my friend. I am proud of you and this car. It's going to be incredible.

11. 73RR

73RR

HEY, is that a 389 I see through the grille shell...? The peak on the shell is awesome, btw.

12. I must confess, although I was never really a "doubter", I was like huh? when you first started posting this project. Now I check on it every other day hoping theres an update. You are giving us all a great example of what a little imagination, confidence and a lot of skill can do! Keep it up man.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why yes it is! :D That's for the next project though... :eek:

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! I appreciate the words! I know the car isn't for everyone, in fact some days I'm even like "Huh? What was it that I really had in mind with this car?" HAHA! :eek: But, I find it's always best to stick the original plan and just push through it.

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

See I'm good for more than just my poncho engines....forklift 101 was on der Haus. =o) love you brother mine!

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would be proud!!! Between putting the mill in place and doing all kinds of forking things, I'm crowning myself king of the neon green forklift!! :D:D

OH! I guess I forgot to mention the addition to the shop!!!! D'OH!!!

1958 Bridgeport J-head! This will certainly help make some compents, do some things that I would have otherwise had to give to someone else, or figure out some other time-consuming method to make happen! Been spending a little bit of time each week cleaning, tramming, etc. Crazydaddyo was in the shop the other morning and helped get the table good and tight. Thanks Dan!

Thanks again to the Brudwich for their help!! You guys seriously rule!!!

[​IMG]

17. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Awesome! it is good to have room in a big shop for big tools. I have seen some in my area that might have been within my budget, but not in my sq ft... I am sure there will be some cool parts comming off of that in no time.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The real problem isn't so much space for big tools as it is how to MOVE big tools without breaking them down to move them 2-inches. I've seen people put mills and lathes in basements with tiny steps. I can't even IMAGINE what that would involve! :eek::eek: I used the forklift to move this thing into place. I supposed it cold be done with a beefy engine hoist though.

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awww... I feel so bad for you living in Huntington Beach, it must be so terrible dealing with that ocean air. :(:D

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Gee, That 1950 Chevy hood looks great!:D[​IMG]

21. Whoa....Where did you find this? I've been on the hunt for one.....Details.......

22. Brickster

Brickster

I'm sure Andrew told you about when we almost tipped this mill off the end of the lift gate. I think my heart stopped for a second.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That's a much better vice then the one you were messing with the other day !!!!!!

Remember, tools make the job easier.....good tools make the job fun !!!!!!!!

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Wow Scott, you are really making tons of progress-looks great! Looks like the body came that way, really amazing considering the major changes you made.

Its surprising how much time it takes to finish weld & smooth the under-body. I just went thru that on the rpu, a pita for sure.

I love the grill shell too, the peak came out really nice. Keep at it man, the finish line is getting closer-very inspiring!

Dan

25. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Get it done all ready. it's almost five years..............Scott

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Way to go. VERY nice build. I think I like the chassis the most! Gary

27. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Life gets in the way sometimes.....my 55 Pontiac is at it's 5 year mark and I didn't fabricate an entirely new car out of it.

Puts it in perspective dontcha think?

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gah! YAYA! I'll trade mortage/rent with you though! :rolleyes::eek:

YES! Yes it does! HAHA! Can't wait to put the finishing touches on panels. :cool:

Mike! The Brudwich brothers had it in storage and it wasn't getting any use so we moved it in so it could get used! I know of another J-head going up for sale soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Oh man! YEAH! They told me the story! And actually, I had a scary moment getting it off the pallet it was on. :eek::eek:

EXACTLY!!!! Unfortunately this is a loner for now. I did get some jaws for the older vise, but they need to be modified slightly to work. GAH! But it will be fine once I get it all restored.

Thanks for the words Dan!! Can't wait to start reassembly!

Yeah, I know man! Sad, huh!! :eek: I'm definitely going to need to see a head doctor when its done! HAHA!

Thanks Gary! A lot of thought went into that frame so I could have the suspension like that AND be able to sit in it. Can't wait to see how it rides!

Thanks for the words everyone!!! Lots more to do!

30. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I was not trying to be a dick. Just give him a loving push. It hard to finish a car I know all to well and some time you need a push. Scott