Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah, the stock harness is definitely on my mind... For a slight increase in cost I can have the modern Fuse Block and then route the wires all groovy and nice which is something I like to do.. We will see... I used one of the Painless 12 circuit Units several years ago to wire up a '38 Chevy Truck that my Dad and I built. Super easy deal... Took me like 8hrs to wire the whole damn thing. Looked nice and worked perfect.

Still need to sleep on it...

~Robert M.

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

New tires from Coker just blasted in... I hope I got this right. I wanted a big-n-little combo for the deal so I went with 670-15's in the front and 890-15's in the back. Should look pretty good with the truck on a touch of a rake. We will see? My friends 48 Chevy truck runs basically the same combo with 15x6's and 15x8 rims and it looks good!

Coker's service was lighting fast! I think I ordered these on Monday afternoon.

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Well..... Still chugging along! The past few days/evenings have been pretty solid!

1. I have managed to get the bed off in one unit.

2. Clean and Sand Blast the majority of the rear frame.

3. Remove the old rear suspension. "This was a bitch by the way...."

4. Received in the new Chrome Smoothie Wheels from Coker's Clearing house.... Shit Howdy they were cheap!

5. Picked up the Crank and flywheel after a quick repolish and Balance check.

6. Rounded up the Million dollar Primer to shoot on the frame after I get done blasting the rest.

So.... This weekend should show much progress but I may need to bounce around on a few things. I will hopefully get the short block together and maybe get the frame in primer before another short blast of rain due Monday/Tuesday.

Fingers crossed.... Here's a few pics of progress and my little helper!

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      123.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      168.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
  4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Robert,

If you get the factory style harness for a '58, it will have the factory style fuse block. Everything else should be pretty much the same. Or you could get the '55-'57 harness and add in the factory style fuse block at around $20. A couple of good points about the factory style harnesses is everything is already the proper length, all connectors are already there, and the entire harness is already taped and looks good.

Nothing wrong with the Painless kits though. Either way, you'll be miles ahead of the 55 year old stock wiring. Can't wait to see more progress! Keep up the good work!

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wow.... What a weekend... The entire frame has been cleaned as much as feasible and I was able to prime the bare metal yesterday under the cab and all the way out to the back. I woke up to a few little pissy things where the primer bubbled a touch so I got hot this AM and sanded the whole thing. I reshot primer where needed, sealed it and then laid on the BLACK.... I bought one of those 39.99 HVLP knock offs on Friday and I gotta tell ya! I would love to own a Bitchin Sata or like type but Dude... Fuck Me... This thing worked so sweet! I can't believe it. My old conventional gun will be going into the trash this evening. Here's a few pics for the Saturday and Today.

This evening I will start stuffing the engine together.

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      147 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      111.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Toner283

Toner283

Looking good. I am jealous of the clean virgin no rust 55 year old steel you guys have to work with in California. everything that is more than 15 - 20 years old & has sat outside around here is fubar.

7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Very cool truck you got there. I've been itchin for something similar. You know it's funny. When I saw your first post and the pics with all the parts laid out I was expecting a very large tube of Testers model glue! It looked like a Monagram model kit. And all the parts were removed from the sprues!!

8. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Looking good keep it up. I love those trucks.

9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Sweet, looks good so far...

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Guys! I'm getting pretty excited to start putting things back together hopefully by the end of this week.... We will see? The block was cleaned tonight and placed back up on the stand for reassembly. I managed to lay out all the parts and get all the freeze plugs installed. I forgot that I ordered file-to-fit rings for this engine, Grrrrrr...., So I will have at least one whole night into making that shit fit..... But that's OK due to the fact that we are getting rain Monday/Tuesday... After that the front section of frame along with the firewall will get the magic black treatment and then we're done with painting for awhile.

More news soon....

Robert M.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      116.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      134.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Chuck R

Chuck R

Your truck is cool, and man you are rocking. It will be done in no time. I wish I had your energy.
    chuck

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Chuck! I'm highly motivated..... I want this on the road and my Toyota GONE.... So it keeps me busy! The beauty in a project like this is that I can see the end result and it makes the whole thing go so smooth. Sure there are little glitches along the way but for the most part you can keep busy and get it done. The last few big orders of shit should be here by Tuesday so I should have everything I need to get close to the finish line. I sold all the old suspension and wheels/tires to a Dude here in town last night. That helps the yard stay clean!

One thing for sure... There are so many parts and pieces scattered all about my shop that it's driving me slightly insane.... I hate it when my shop is dirty and scattered! That's probably the best motivation of all. Project Done = Shop Cleaning time!

Cheers,

Robert M.

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ok... So time to start stuffing the engine together! I'm always amazed at how clean the engine block "looks" after you bring it home from the Machine Shop. Well we all know that we need to give it a little hot Water and Soap scrub before assembling, but I thought I would show another idea to those who haven't seen it.

My dear friend NTO schooled me well in the assembly of engines during our many years of racing Dragsters. The trick is using ATF as a cleanser. Just take a look at the pictures and you'll get the idea.... Use this to wipe all machined surfaces inside the block, Cylinder Walls, Bearing Journals, Lifter Bores, Ever the machined sides of the Main Journal Webs. The shit you see on these paper towels will eventually make its way into the oil after start up and most likely take a trip thru your fresh new Bearings and Honed Cylinder Walls. :) FUN!!!

Take a look....

Attached Files:

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Same Shit with Mr. Cranky Crank... Run a wire brush thru each oil hole first with some ATF and then switch to the white towel method until the towel comes out clean. I like using old white t-shirts on the crank because the Paper towel won't hold up as well. So just cut little squares up with scissors and make lots of them!!!! It takes about 3 or 4 per oil hole. USE A FRESH ONE EACH TIME.... This is the most classic spot of all for shit in he motor. Soon as Oil Pressure comes up the only place for this crap to go is right into the bearings....

More Pics...

Attached Files:

15. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

isint it amazing as to how much debris stays behind in the blocks, even after the shop hot tanks it

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The rest of the deal is boring cuz now you're just checking clearances and bolting shit together. I always check each bearing for clearance and record the numbers on one of my build sheets. This one is right on target at around 0.002" ~ 0.0025" and about 0.006" end play on this crank. Once all the clearances are checked I goop up all the surfaces with Red-Line Assy Lube and bolt it up.... Nothing but ARP fasteners for me and I do use their Moly-Type lube on the threads. Hit it with the torque wrench and WHAMO. DONE...... Spins super free and we're onto the next step. This is about it for tonight. I did lube up the Bump Stick and installed it but I needed a Drink and it was late. So Tonight we will start filing the rings and getting all of that stuff ready to go together.

Enjoy,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

17. Hey Syndicate, what are you using to sandblast your frame?

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Mr. Pabst.....

I actually have a crappy old Sand Blaster from Montgomery Wards. It looks like a pressure pot spray gun but has an adaptor to connect up to a larger sand bucket. Just a simple syphon feed deal that actually works pretty well. I am using standard 30 grit sand from Home Depot.

Cheers,

Robert M.

19. Cool, I was thinking about blasting the frame on my '60 F100 soon. Did your blaster make a pretty good mess with all of the sand?

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Mess = Yes... Not too bad but there is sand all over the place... As you can see from the pics I have a gravel driveway. I went ahead and laid the plywood down to give myself a nice surface to lay on as well as a place for all the sand to collect and be swept up. So far so good.... It does make short order of cleaning the frame! That's the part I like. My wife and I scraped and wire brushed the frame on my '68 then wiped it all down with rags and laquer thinner.... That was a BITCH.... This has been much better.

:)

Robert M.

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So.... Tuesday night was completely dedicated to prepping the rings. What a thriller! One little issue popped up right at the end of the night however. These pistons are set up for longer connecting rods so the pin is moved up into the oil ring area. Not a major issue but it becomes one when you either forget to really pay attention to what's going on or there is a lack of documentation guiding you down the path. There is a little roll pin in the Oil ring groove that locks the position of the lower oil rail. Well.... Right, so you need to GAP this lower rail/ring to accommodate for the pin diameter plus the general allowance for expansion. Needless to say this fucked the first oil ring that went into the block.

So, grabbed another from my machine shop fella and proceeded to execute to the NEW plan. Last night I finished stuffing the thing together. Still have plenty to do but the only real critical item will be checking the cam real quick to make sure it's on target and then wrapping it up.

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

22. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Well I had to put the engine on hold for a few days while I tackle a fuck'ed off set of lifters from CompCams. Such a bag of shit they sent me.... GRRRRRR.....

That's OK cuz there is much more to do! So Friday evening Erin, my totally Awesome Wife, jumped in and started washing the old thing and buffing out the ultra sun faded paint. The bed is an easy place to start so She attacked and pretty much has the first buffing complete as of tonight. She's going to wipe it up and hit it again with another round of "3M Finesse It" but that's for Sunday evening.

I decided that I could not leave that shitty old sheet metal section along the top of the firewall as orig so I mixed up some mud and started the smoothing process. I pretty much got it close this evening along with blasting the final little sections of the front frame so I gave it 2 coats of base primer and called it a night.

This morning I was hooked up with a tire dude in town that I have not met before and he did the honors of readying up the Wide Whites. This guy was so damn funny I was laughing the whole time while we were working.... He now has a customer for good.

So there you have it. Lots of little shit but all of it advancing the cause!!!! Here's some Kodaks for review!

Cheers,

Robert M.

Attached Files:

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a good shot of the purdy fender!!! It really shines up just right!

Attached Files:

24. Looks Good! GMC tailgate?? This thread is really inspiring me to work on my 59 F100

25. haychrishay

haychrishay

Nice, looks like you're goin to town

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah the bed is GMC. That's the killer part because the guy used '56 Chevy Pass-Car Taillights right where the Orig GMC Back-Up lights would have been. Oh So Custom! The tailgate will be switched back to Chevrolet at some point but it'll work for now.

27. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Trying to Haul Ass.... I think next week will be super groovy because things should start going back onto the frame and I can finally start checking things off the list....

I was so stoked today when the tires got mounted. Wow, Can't wait!!!

28. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Great job, keep it up! Thanks for all of the pics while you are working on it. I love your truck and you are flying through the work that you have to do to get it going.

SpeedAddict001

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

This morning the Primer seemed to hold OK thru the night and looked pretty good. I always love getting a uniform color onto the surface so you can start really seeing the flaws. So out comes the Glazing putty and more sand paper. I will have a few more hours in this before the color goes on but depending on how long Max takes a Nap today will determine how much gets done! :) Hopefully the Black will go on after the Wife comes home from Work!

Oh and I couldn't stand the damn Shock mounts in the front and their crappy weld job... I mean, shit Dude, If you can't weld please get someone to do it for you.... This was ridiculous. But a little dressing with the grinder and a touch of MUD! Whamo they will look very sexy.

Some pics... More later tonight.

Robert M.

Attached Files: