Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. noboD

noboD

SanctaRosa, that O-We-Go is incredible. Thanks for posting the slideshow.

2. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Nice, very much in the spirit of the old cyclecars :)

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Think this is functional, or just an art car? It appears that the training wheels retract, eh? I have no idea... found the pix on another web site. Gary

Attached Files:

4. Nice project - I´m just wondering why you intend to move the motor forwards. Seems like a lot of work, but I can´t see any benefit? Just curious.:)

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

If he doesn't, I think it ends up where he wants to sit.

-Dave

6. Well, yes, but either you sit in front of the motor, or it sits in front of you. Six of one...
    And if it sits in front of you, then you have a drive shaft to get through the cockpit.

More here...

http://thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-powered-cars/

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Functionally, you're correct, but the Morgan aesthetic requires the driver just ahead of the rear wheel, therefore the engine has to be moved forward of the driver and under the hood.

-Dave

8. 88daryl88

88daryl88

This was built by #1, some very clever details. More pics at his site: www.rokonworld.com
    [​IMG]

For those who may have missed them, also check out the "Motorcycle Engined Cars" thread

brayton engine guy likes this.
  9. Oh come on now - nobody on this board cares about aesthetics, surely! ;-)

10. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Yeah, pretty much for ass-thetics. The HAMB is largely discussion of front engine, rear wheel drive platforms, eh? We make things difficult for ourselves. Otherwise we'd be on another board yappin away about our Accords and Camrys. :)
    I also have a (non-scientific) sense that I like the weight distribution better; at least for braking and cornering. The 'Busa powered T-Rex is engine behind driver and they say it's got great performance though, so I don't know.
    The driveshaft is small diameter so I figure it won't encroch into the cockpit too much. Another reason I like the Kawi is the shaft runs down the left side which will put the engine a little off center to the right thereby compensating balance a bit when driving solo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

It's funny you post this link. I live 30 minutes from Hickories Park Owego, NY and your from way on the bottom of the world. :D I didn't attend last year's car show there so I didn't see the O-We-Go. I see it's powered by a Monarch engine which I think also has some connection to Owego, NY. I've seen a Monarch motorcycle from the teens on display in a museum in Owego.
    Cool video. I think they could use a belt tensioner (or 2)!

12. mcknight05

mcknight05
    from Ontario

Not hamb friendy at all . but this is my cycle car. (for the dirt)its powered by a cbr 929 fuel injected motor. almost finished. just waiting on to stub shafts

Attached Files:

13. How about wooden frame and body with cycle engine?

Attached Files:

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's real, 1913 Booth Bi Auto, V8 powered too! Google it for more info. They only built one, it was once part of the James Melton collection in the early 1950's two towns south of me. :)

15. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

I think the loose belts allow for transmission slip during turns to save the rear tyres and generally take the strain off everything. This variety of heroic wire and string type cyclecar is what I love best; - not that I wouldn't say no to a ride in a Morgan mind you, - but a variable friction drive transmission and a pair of long drive belts is such a wonderfully simple and basic way of getting it done.
    It was the very appealing name 'O-We-Go' that drew me to do an on-line search for that particular cyclecar. A name that fits the beast perfectly methinks :)

Um...... Pete.... it is Pete isn't it? I have to say that isn't my idea of a cyclecar at all even though it's plain you've put a lot of effort into it. Aesthetics do matter when it comes to building a cyclecar; the Morgan type of reverse trike MUST have its engine at the front, - the more on show it is the better, and the driver MUST sit just ahead of the rear wheel. A 4 wheeled cyclecar may have its engine either at the back or at the front, but it MUST look as if it owes its origins in part to either the bicycle or the motorcycle or it is no more than a light car.

An 'AV' Monocar. Cyclecar racing at its hair raising best.

Attached Files:

16. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

SanctaRosa, I can't tell who you mean by Pete and which pic is not your idea of a cyclecar.
    Jack

17. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Yeah, Ive got a pic of a wooden example.
    Gack!

Attached Files:

• 103.jpg
      103.jpg
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
  18. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

McKnight05's post with the three dirt hopper pictures. The pictures are captioned 'Pete'sCar'.

As for the wooden thing in the picture you posted above somebody had themselves a lack of imagination attack when they built that.

19. I am wondering if the narrow track of most of these was also to compensate for a lack of differential gears?

That AV Monocar is excellent! I like the rear engine layout a lot. It would allow a short and simple chain drive.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow... who'd a thunk it. I really enjoy this thread. Thanx, Gary

21. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

I'm fairly certain too that the lack of a differential was the reason for the narrow track. The AV Monocar's basic layout is very similar how the Cycle Kart guys build their cars. The chassis in the picture is not mine (unfortunately) and is representative of a 'GN' cyclecar. I've wondered more than once just how easy it would be to push the CycleKart envelope just that wee bit more to actually create a full sized cyclecar.

Attached Files:

22. Never heard of "CycleKarts" until now. Looks like a lot of fun though. Surely they could be scaled up slightly and built with motorcycle parts?

http://www.cyclekarts.com/

23. gearjam1

gearjam1

I have a 1950 Jowett Jupiter that is missing the motor. The original was replaced with a V8/60, which was then pulled prior to me purchasing the car. There is very little room for an engine, so I have been kicking around for quite a while, fitting a powerful motorcycle engine in place of the original boxer configuration 4 cylinder. With it's light weight, the Jupiter should really scoot with a bike engine as a replacement!

24. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Interesting idea. Are you thinking air or watercooled? Can you post some pics of the Jowett and the empty engine bay.

25. My first thought with the originally flat four powered Jowett was - whisper it - Subaru.

26. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Great Thread thanks

27. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Scooby Doo will probably require a serious brake & suspension update.;)

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

No...

Scat V4.:D

29. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Now don't go frightening rare sportscars like Jowett Jupiters thank you very much ;)

What has fascinated me in particular were the small cars made largely from bicycle components that were used in Europe by ordinary folk during the Second World War. Endless quantities of bicycles get dumped in our town rubbish tip and I've never had any problem finding bicycle parts when I need them. Unfortunately alot of the very cheap chain store bicycles that get dumped are not much good for anything due to the very poor quality of their components, but that's just the way things are made in this modern age of ours (sigh).
    Anyway here is a copy of Swedish plan from the wartime years for the 'Fantom' which can still be purchased if you really wanted to have one. Old photos are hard to find and I have a feeling that most of the pictures I have are of the same recently built Fantom, but at least they are nice and clear and show good detail.
    I would very much like to build one of these during our New Zealand Winter when it's often too wet to get much done in the garden. I really do need a cheap to run all weather vehicle and I refuse to have anything to do with owning or driving a modern day motorcar when I'm supposed to be vowed to poverty and simplicity.

Attached Files:

30. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

I absolutely love the picture of the Fantom parked next to the Rolls Royce :D

And yes the plans, - I didn't forget, - it's just that I ran out of attachment file space on the last post. The plans are for both a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler, but the front end for them both is exactly the same.

And yes I know the plans are very small, but I think it's more a case of using what you have rather than following the plan religiously. The tractor dealers around here are forever dumping the steel pallet crates they get their tractor parts in and I've been hoarding steel from these pallets in the garage against the day I can make a start on my own cyclecar frame.

Attached Files: