Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. swi66

swi66

2. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Let me know when :D ... :D

Health and Saftey at work here !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob, I've pm'd you the link

Keith

brayton engine guy likes this.
  3. noboD

noboD

Holy sheet, I was thinking how cool it would be to drive something like that. I'm not so sure after seeing these pics, I like my balls where they are!!

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your are right, i will take mine a curtiss jenny v8, those little harleys just dont cut it. :D

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

'

Bob, I know why you picked this photo as your avitar!

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Replica of the 'prototype' 1909 Morgan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. That'd be my mate Richard Oakes of Blackjack Cars. You can have any Moto Guzzi engine or any VW air cooled flat 4. In both cases it drives through the front wheels using a Beetle transaxle and VW Golf driveshafts and hubs.

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Bump for anymore,........???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. And then there is this, a car cycle I guess. Has a 2300 Ford motor in it. And I have always thought something could be done with any 1500 or 1800 Gold Wing motor. They already have a reverse.

stallion trike.jpg stallion trike 2.jpg

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

love this thread!!! been dreaming of one for years.

11. boldventure

boldventure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just glanced at a thread about odd/unusual suspensions....there was an odd on from a highboy....then I galnced at this one...and there's not much frame forward of the engine in either...I wonder how well that would work (?) Anyways that's a neat gizmobile:D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is one of my favorite automotive photos, did the original photographer win any awards for it?[​IMG]

murpa likes this.
  13. Brooky

Brooky

Hi guys, I'm new here but I've browsed these forums for a while now. Just had to swing by to comment on this thread. Now I've seen the Hornet at a VMCC (vintage motorcycle club) rally & I've seen Thunderbug a couple of times at VSCC (vintage sports car club) meetings. My recollection is that they are both owned by the same chap, Mark Walker who's part of the Walkers Crisps (potato chips) family. He's a brilliant engineer and he built both cars (I use the word "cars" quite loosely). Hornet is really a hugely powerful buckboard! I asked Mark about Thunderbug. He admitted that it wasn't desperately competitive but it just made him smile every time he started it, as a 4.2 litre V twin would! My fascination with these cars is the fabulous patination of age, constant use and the sheer, simple brutality of them. Hornet is my dream car, quick enough to keep up and mad enough to be one hell of a blast to drive! I've got all sorts of ideas floating round my head for a single engined version of the beast. One day, one day!

Brooky.

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Here ya go Thunderbug ! :D

[​IMG]

15. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Attached Files:

16. The "Smart" cars have been in Canada for several years. They should only be allowed on bicycle paths. Follow one on the highway and watch it get blown around by each passing truck.I have a picture of one embedded in the grille of a Kenworth. They may be o.k in theory,but we live in real life. It is fast becoming sport here to turn them on their side.Kind of like cow tipping. Smart,are the guys who don't buy these things.

17. Nobody has a problem with them in Europe, and there are plenty of them on the roads here. Mind you, I doubt I´d feel very safe in one if every other car was a ridiculously gigantic SUV. I probably find SUVs as stupid as you do Smart cars!

There are a few with Hayabusa motors in them too.

18. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

So when did Smart cars become cyclecars?

Whenever I hear the word 'cyclecar' mentioned I think of something like this........

Attached Files:

19. Frank

Frank

[​IMG]

I am really intrigued by that front suspension system there. Trying to get my head around it.

murpa and brayton engine guy like this.
  20. Think "soap box" racer and you´re not far off. It appaeras that it pivots for steering and suspension in the centre. What happens under deflection of only one front wheel is probably best not to think about. I like the bungy cord rear suspension.

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The reason I mentioned them in the original post is that the concept is similar: Small, basic transportation designed for nothing more than running errands in an urban environment, or transporting one or two individuals to a mass-transit hub (rail or bus station).

Cycle cars are not well suited to most areas of the United States, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be fun. Better yet, most states don’t regulate them to the same extent as true automobiles, so there’s a lot more flexibility for the hobbyist - no searching for the appropriate “historical document” with which to defraud... er, persuade the authorities.

-Dave

22. daddylama

daddylama

great- this thread had to come back up... i had almost forgotten about my desire to build one, now i'm all riled up again :)

i'd think it wouldn't be too much of an issue to drive one around here (Portland, Oregon). "alternative transportation" is one benefit to being in such a tree hugging city. there's a few electric "cars" that aren't registered.
    hell, my daily driver's tags expired 10 years ago... (car sat in a barn for ages, title mess, but i'm still driving it)

wonder if'n it'd be better to narrow an A banjo (i've got a few of them around), or do something like a servi-car rear (which are expensive)...
    have plenty of harley wheels that'd work...
    have a shovelhead with clean papers that'd work...

damn, damn, damn. too many projects, too many desires, not enough time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  23. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

Hi Dave, thanks for the clarification :) Even though I've keen on cyclecars for most of my life my particular interest these days lies in ways and means of providing simple low cost transport for folk who don't have much money to come and go on. A Smart car gets a tick for being small and basic, but it would still be a too expensive option in terms of initial purchase cost for many low waged people.
    As for myself I use a very vintage looking Hercules adult tricycle made in India for getting around, but its vintage appearance is only skin deep as it is driven by a 24 volt electric motor hub. Where I live here in New Zealand is a rural pasture dairy farming district and my tricycle is excellent for getting around the township itself and also for shorter trips out into the countryside. I've hauled some serious sort of loads with my tricycle so it's a completely practical form of transport and it also doesn't cost me a cent in registration charges. It's absolutely easy to park and the cost of electricity is virtually nix.
    The one let down is that it's not so great when it rains so I've been wondering about building myself a more enclosed three wheeled vehicle. I walk with a stick so I'm not into any kind of lowslung vehicle that I would have to fold myself into and the way I see it the more car-like something is the less likely it would be to get nudged off the road by the huge logging trucks and milk tankers that thunder through town on a regular basis.
    Going back to the vintage era I thought I'd build something like a 1920's Pedelux for myself. Still bicycle based, but it looks like a car and would keep me dry in the rain :D

Attached Files:

24. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

It's a centre pivot steering system with a central spring. Quite a few of the early European cyclecars used this simple type of steering which could become alarmingly dangerous at speed. Most cyclecars of this type tended to be narrow tracked with tandem seating such as the French built 'Bedelia' cyclecar.

Attached Files:

25. This one I'd like to adapt to a Bedelia- like scale. I dig the Bedelia layout.

Attached Files:

26. daddylama

daddylama

damn, think "radio flyer wagon" at high speed. ever ride one down a hill? they become quite unstable real quick... during a turn, the front pushes and they topple over real good.

sure is a simple setup, though :)

i was thinking along the lines of a go-cart steering setup... though not sure how well a 3/4 turn lock to lock would do on the street, even in a very light weight cyclecar. just keep seeing a broken wrist on a good pothole or curb.

27. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

28. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I've been pipe dreamin about a Morgan style reverse trike for a few yrs. now. Here's a photoshop rambling using a chopped Model A grille.
    I just brought home the eventual motive power for this build a week ago. A Kaw. Vulcan 1500. The important points being big CC, shaft drive, water cooled, carbed 2 cyl for simplicity, and spoked rims.
    The plan is for a tube frame grafted to the swing arm structure and move the engine up under the hood using an extended drive shaft.

Attached Files:

29. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

What about this in front of our 57' :D

Attached Files: