Register now to get rid of these ads!

A HOP Rod. Gas-powered pogo stick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Frank

Frank

I saw one of these a few years ago at Pate and just thought it was one of the coolest things I ever saw. The guy that had it was only displaying it and would not sell it. I don't know that I would have the guts to get on it these days, but as a kid it must have been a heck of a ride.

ANyone ever seen one of these? The funny thing is that Chance Mfg is better known for amusement park rides. (Chaz, ever seen one?) I bet there are some crazy stories to go with the owner of one of these.

http://www.bpmlegal.com/wpogo.html

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have one...no I am not going to try it, I have heard rumors of 12 foot high jumps

Kan Kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ken Howard designed one of those back in the fifties..."Hot Rod" published the plan.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like a good way for a middle aged man to end up in the hospital

5. BigRed390

BigRed390

That's awesome!! I want one!

6. It sure does. You go first! :D

Personally, I've lost the desire to try things that may result in me seeing my femur sticking out of my thigh...:eek:

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

no thanks mike..i can get hurt working on my car instead..lol

8. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i want one ... NOW

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

These sound "fun".
    I'm glad I'm too old to try one.
    My signature should say it all...

10. I have one . You can only hop a foot or so. I have the origonal box, parts list, store poster, and most of the magazines that did ''road tests''. Richard.

11. 31whitey

31whitey

trip to the frigin dentist

12. alsancle

alsancle

This sounds totally cool. Would look great up on the wall next to a Turbonique go-kart.

13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

That is awesome. Just crazy enough to get into trouble. I'd love to have one.

Doc.

14. He also built a pair of roller skates with model airplane engines driving them.Saw a pic in the letters column of Hot Rod around 55 or so.

15. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Hard to believe Chance used to make those.
    They are far more known for little ride-on trains, ferris wheels, and other carnival rides.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Chance Manufacturing (Now Chance Morgan) Was at one time the largest amusement supplier in the world. Their factory in Kansas was so large you couldn't see from one end to the other because of the curvature of the earth. Harold Chance was a freaking genius. Unfortunately his sons were not.
    After many bankruptcies (the most recent a few years ago) The company is just a shadow of its former self. The entire industry is pretty much a shambles. Oddly enough the amusement business is safer than the airline industry, which is safer than driving your car. Few people really want to know this, cause its easy to dismiss these people as "carnies" I wish I had time to relate how important the industry was. But if you've ever had an infant saved by the use of an incubator , you can thank a carny. Nuff said.

Kan Kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I thought von dutch invented that. :confused:

18. Ron Weingarten

Ron Weingarten
    from l.a.

i want to buy one ron weingarten 818 360 5783 or email [email protected]

19. Ron Weingarten

Ron Weingarten
    from l.a.

i want to buy one ron 8183605783 or email [email protected]

20. budd

budd

whats the bore size?

21. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

I had one, never had the balls to try it.

but I did ride this:

[​IMG]

22. I got one too... I even have some cans of the "Go-Go Juice" that it runs on.

I bought mine from my buddies dad back in '88... for $80... he said he broke his leg on it, and then never rode it again.

Sam.

23. Theres one on e bay now. Its up to 1.000.00 now with 9 hours left. Look under Hop Rod.

24. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

I saw two of them for sale at Hershey this year....

Here is a shot of one of them...

[​IMG]

25. nexxussian

nexxussian

Pulse jet?

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I saw one for sale there this year too. Near Clark's booth near the stadium. It was hanging on the side of a box truck.
    For the first 5 seconds I thought it was an awesome idea and a must purchase. Then I thought again.;) :D

27. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Yup, only 5 pounds of thrust, worked great until it exploded. Good thing I put the heat shield on.

these things are stupid loud! like a firecracker going off 20 times/second.

28. JustaVR6

JustaVR6
    from SoCal

I'm the guy who purchased the 2 Hop Rod's (one of them is still in the original unopened box!) from Edward Skakie, the guy who posted the article in the link above. I took my used one to the largest annual 2-stroke motorcycle show last year and it got a huge amount of attention along with various stories from people telling me about one they had, or a friend of theirs had. You don't see them that often but when you do they draw a lot of attention. A photo journalist took a picture of me and it got published in 3 different motorcycle magazines this year. If anybody has any memorabilia they would like to sell related to Hop Rod's , I would like to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Scott

29. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

An update for what its worth. I have one also. Took it to the Portland swap meet this past weekend to see if there was any interest. Got very tired of explaining over and over what it was and how it worked. BUT. Got not one offer or trade offer. Maybe they are all afraid of the attorneys.

30. I have an early Jacobson model. Same thing only is orange with Jacobson decal on shaft. Got it from my father-in-law years ago. I wouldnt try it at my age. He says he saw kids go over 10' in the air when they were new and popular!