Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Calhoun

Calhoun

Oh yeah. Like it was yesterday.

We were packed to leave for Daytona for the Firecracker and the photographer called my parents and said to have me at the racetrack the next night and wear something "colorful". Mom had to unpack these clothes.

The car was sitting on the front straight (about the same place as Binkley's car in the other photo), except it was dusk and I remember that light on a big tripod above us (the one in the upper left of the photo).

How cool do you think it was for a 6 year old to be sitting on the fender of a race car? I think it shows on my face!

Here's another photo from the shoot.

[​IMG]

As a p.s., one of Pete's sons, Kurt, was a quarterback for Vanderbilt in maybe the late 70s - early 80s.

2. Racewriter

Racewriter

Pretty sure that's Mark Malcuit in the #70 Dodge Daytona. Mark Martin and Alan Kulwicki are on the outside.

3. Stuck some pics up on a another thread but thought maybe a few of them would look right at home here to. Sadly I don't have any stories to go along with them, or even names for most of these folks.

Photos from the early 1950s at the Fort Wayne (Indiana) Speedway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Allstar, like I posted earlier, that was Louisville Downs. It was a half-mile, crushed limestone. My avatar photo was taken at that race. It had to be 1967 or 68.

5. Falconred

Falconred

I have a couple or so rolls I shot at that show. I will post along as time permits.

Looks like Mike Alexander on the pole, Gary Balough, Jody Ridley, Dick Trickle, Rusty Wallace, maybe Randy Couch or Butch Miller, Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki and so forth

[​IMG]

Notice the flag in the crewman's hand. I liked the way the crewman for each car would raise the flag to signify that the car had fired.

6. Racewriter

Racewriter

Definitely the best era of pavement late model racing, Falcon.

7. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Racewriter, I have to agree, but I'll admit to being prejudiced. I loved being just a small part of it.

9. DRH556

DRH556

I really loved seeing the pics of your Grandpa's racing at the Orange Show Speedway...I probably witnessed every lap that he turned in competition there as I've been hanging around that joint since 1963!!! I tried to post something the other nite but it didn't go thru....If this works this time, I'll post more details of his career later.

10. DRH556

DRH556

Hey, the last post by me was for #502 1968......I'm just now trying to figure out posting stuff on here works!!

11. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"Pontiac Michigan Silverdome,,,Keselowski ( the dad) in the #29,,,the Polocks built all their own engines and chassis,,real tech smart,,real racers'

Hey Trick.......do you have any pictures of the car that Bob K won the ARCA championship with? I think that it was circa 1989 and the car was some type of Chrysler Le Baron. I remember reading about it in "Autoweek".

12. hanley_72

hanley_72

Just got a home movie dvd of the ASA race from the Pontiac Silverdome. Very cool. Seen vp race pics before from that race. The two together is just great for my collection.
    Hey vp race, when you gonna post some more pics on your site from the old Mount Clemens Speedway. Would love to see what else you have.

13. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

[​IMG]

Here's another from the archives. Butch Hartman at a USAC Stock race at Tri-County Speedway in West Chester Ohio - a couple of years before they paved it.

Enjoy....

14. Warbird7

Warbird7

Wow, I have never seen a Hartman car in anything other than yellow. Cool photo.

15. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Today's picture - Clyde Parker, a long time ARCA competitor, at Eldora Speedway. Always used car # 18 in ARCA.

[​IMG]

16. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

If I remember correctly the car was dark red with a black roof. I only saw it once - everything else was yellow, like you said.

Vegas_Oldtimer

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Clyde Parker was the original nice guy. Also the first driver I saw use a motorhome. We called it "the school bus."

18. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside Calif, June 1970 Falstaff 400
    [​IMG]

19. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif June 1970 Falstaff 400

Pictrure of race winner taken during pre-qualifying practice

20. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif. June 1970 Bobby Allison in Mario Rossi's Dodge.

This car finished 2nd in the race. Picture taken during pre-race practice.

21. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside Calif., June 1970

Bobby Issac in the K & K ins Dodge. Picture taken during pre-race practice.

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside Calif., June 1970 Falstaff 400

Dick Bown's Plymouth Superbird. Picture taken during pre-qualifying practice.

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif. June, 1970 Falstaff 400

2 X PCLM/Winston West Champion Jack McCoy's winged Dodge Daytona during pre-qualifying practice. Jack finished 6th in the race.

24. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Dark red Hartman car, RECYCLED.

I looked into the photo vault a little further and I came up with these two "interesting" views of what is almost certainly the same car. It's been renumbered, and the driver is Dorus Wisecarver - an old ARCA regular. These were shot at Eldora and at Tri County, about a year after the Hartman photo. These were Late Model races, not ARCA new car races.

Posted for everyone's enjoyment.

Vegas Oldtimer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think you've hit it, Steve. Almost has to be the same car.

26. Racewriter

Racewriter

If you look closely, it still says "Zanesville, Ohio" in the same lettering as when it was Hartman's.

27. OhioRoyce

OhioRoyce
    from Ohio

Where was Dorus Wisecarver from? I know I have heard that name before from local dirt tracks.

28. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Some pics I took in JAN 2010 of the historic parade laps prior to the Frank Kimmel POLAR BEAR 150 at Rockingham Speedway in North Carolina.

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

OhioRoyce, I'm sure somebody on here will know where Dorus was from. I think it was in the Dayton area somewhere.

30. Warbird7

Warbird7

I ran the Hartman photo by a friend who crewed for him in 1970. The consensus is that Butch drove the car several times for owner Ray Stotts it in late model dirt or outlaw events. I am told that Butch also ran this car a couple times under the driver name of "Willy Maket". Below is the note from my friend Don Moody:

"I was able to track down a fellow who crewed for Ray Stotts back in the day. Their driver was a guy named Dorus Wisecarver. I remember the name and I think he operated heavy equipment for Stotts' company here in Zanesville. They were mainly late-model dirt track racers. They did race at Daytona at least once or twice in the mid-sixties. Butch built their engines at least some of the time. The car in the photo usually was #101. That was Ray Stotts' regular #. The crew guy stated that Butch probably was driving the car at some late-model race at Tri County for some reason. I do recognize two Hartman crewmen in the photo but I know the one with his back to the camera; Loyd Holmes, passed away several years ago and the other man in the sunglasses Dave ____; I haven't seen for many many years. Interesting photo which I'm sure has a story to go with it but unfortunatly we may never know all of it. I will keep my ears open however, for more info.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010