Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. I appreciate your knowledge in T-Bolts!! Thank you, Dennis!:)

2. Did anyone look into "Satans Angel" red T-Bolt? I also unearthed a pic of "Satans Angel" red '66 SS B/MP Chevelle? I wonder if they are at all connected?:eek:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

How about some THUNDERBOLT and COMET Action.
    Roys 65 comet an Phils T-BOLT AWESOME

[​IMG]

4. YellowLane

YellowLane

I was trying to locate the various discussions about the Hemphill-McCombs Ford in this thread...:confused: Was a final conclusion drawn on which original car it was?

Attached Files:

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Wickersham Ford/Clester Andrews #9

Attached Files:

6. spiertb

spiertb

Dennis et al; About the SK designation; back in '67 Ford came out with some better Medium riser 427 heads that were referred to as "SK" heads--is that useage of the lettering similar to what T-Time was discussing? Thanks. Syl

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

8. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Same thing, SK means Sketch.

BTW, just because a part has an SK or XE number on it doesn't necessarily mean it is a racing or high performance part. All it really designates is a method of identifying a pre production, experimental or development part.

In "Ford Speak", SK may also mean "Serviced in Kit".

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

It is only an assumption these are one and the same vehicles, although probably a good assumption.

Years ago, I asked Clester Andrews what happened to the car and he could not recall.

Regards,
    Dennis

10. YellowLane

YellowLane

Thanks guys. IMHO, I think that the probabilities are good. There are pics of the H-M TBolt at the 1964 W/N and I assume that Wickersham had or were getting their new Mustang by then. The 427 Flags at front of the fenders, white side moldings, racing in S/S class are strong factors...
    I remember reading a bio on Red McCombs and H-M was growing fast during that time and had Ford dealerships in both Houston and San Antonio... so, it sounds like a reasonable assumption.
    Does anyone know what happened to the H-M car or have contact with Mr. Abner??

Then there are the wild cards in the TX bunch of cars (see attachment) and the camera shy Jim Sanders car...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  11. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I think you mean the 1965 not 1964 Winternationals, and which one, NHRA or AHRA? I didn't think any 64 T-Bolts ran at the 1965 NHRA Wnats.

The Texas Thunderbolt photos are circa 1966. There is a rumor it is the former Courtesy Motors (TX) car.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  12. YellowLane

YellowLane

Great shot of the Texas Thunderbolt, finally one of the entire car! Have more?

Sorry, I should have linked these last night. I was taking a break from Taxes :eek: and wasn't thinking clearly... I may have gotten the captions criss-crossed. My bad. Based on the one photo the car's license tag ;) and caption, the car was running in 1964 as H-M sponsored.

http://jdurand.smugmug.com/Buy-Images-Here/T-Bolts-and-AFX-Mustangs/584413_Zw7Wx#54540918_HYPok-A-LB

http://jdurand.smugmug.com/Buy-Images-Here/T-Bolts-and-AFX-Mustangs/584413_Zw7Wx#51574363_tKVgz-A-LB

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

14. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The 1964 Texas license plate doesn't necessarily mean it is 1964. The Wickersham Ford T-Bolt had 1963 Texas license plates at the 1964 Winternationals in Pomona.

Back then, MI didn't change plates until April. Actually in the early 60's you got a new plate every two years and in alternate years just a metal year tab that bolted in the upper right corner. TX may have been similar, relative to what month the current year plate was released.

Perhaps John Durand may know the exact date of when the photo was taken?

However, I believe the Wickersham and Hemphill-McCombs T-Bolt are one and the same cars.

Regards,
    Dennis

15. YellowLane

YellowLane

I noticed that all of my pics of the Wickersham car are 60's vintage. Is this car among the survivers?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  16. can anyone put me onto a reputable company for a hood scoop, ive just been screwed out of $100 and shipping from a guy on Ebay for one and im nearing body work stage on my car, thanks in advance guys.

17. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

18. One of my favorite 'glass door equipped T-Bolt...The Kenny Vogt, Stinger I car! I would like to know which Ford dealers and what cars received 'glass doors? Was there a "special" light weight package/options for the T-Bolts? Such as 'glass doors, plexi windshields, aluminum front bumpers..vs. none aluminum front bumpers, steel doors and regular safety glass windshields..etc.?? Did NHRA rules mandate metal front bumpers? Thanks!...John:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  19. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

You didn't mention what kind of car and what kind of scoop.

If you are talking about the teardrop on a Thunderbolt, they were not a scoop, but an engine compartment vent. The teardrop itself is available from Crites Restoration.
    http://www.critesrestoration.com/index.htm

Regards,
    Dennis

20. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

Images from a Swedish engine Journal, POWER Magazine # 4 1978, The car's owner in norway 1978, their names are Arild Christiansen and Jonny Bergli, who bought the Drake Viscome, N Y !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  21. This car has been restored to original and is now back in the states.

22. MattB

MattB

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Whoever posted that seems to have a tiny bit of knowledge and a bunch of imagination.

Quote:
    "I watched "Daddy Warbucks" in Georgia produce more replica 1964 Ford Fairlane "Thunderbolt" cars in the 80's and 90's than you can imagine - and a friend of his at Ford issued new serial number plates and added those cars to the original production records (for a price) so they could be sold as "originals" for big money ("who'll ever find out?")."

24. Have you ever noticed whenever somebody posts this type of crap they don't post their name? Hmmmm, I wonder why. He is willing to "testify in the court of law" but doesn't post his name on a simple message board. I wonder why???:confused:

25. apound

apound

Dennis,
    Texas issued a new plate every year until 1975. I'm pretty sure you had from Jan-to April to get the new plate. I have seen what you are talking about with the tab on an old California plate from 56. Not sure what other states did that.
    Am I correct that if a car was flat towed it had to be registered, but if on a trailer it did not have to be registered?

26. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I didn't think any states back then required a new plate by January 1st of the particular year. With the Christmas and New Year holidays, it would of been a bit hectic. MI switched from 1 April to plates expiring on your birthday around 1970 to alleviate the long lines at the Secretary of State office. Same year they went from two letters and four numbers to three letters and three numbers to expand the total amount of available combinations.

In MI if you flat towed, the vehicle required a license plate. If it was trailered it did not, as the trailer had the plate and the car was just the load being hauled.

Back then if you had an open trailer you were "king". It seems the factory door slammers gravitated to "rocket launcher" car haulers, as they were being furnished by the factory. I don't recall enclosed trailers for doorslammers coming about until the 70's, even for the factory supported pro stocks.

Regards,
    Dennis

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres some pics of my friends T-BOLT Tribute car.Taking it to the shop to get some updates to the chassis.Waiting to get his new powerplant from Rich Lamont.Tony {goggles pizanno} And his T-Bolt cant wait.Its been about 4 years since hes raced last.Id have to say just hauling it around town was fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. apound

apound

Dennis,
    You are probably right about the April 1 date. I wasn't sure about that part.

29. Anyone?....Calling all Thunderbolt guru's out there! Anyone want to jump in here and answer these questions for me!.....:)

30. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

Here's a heads up. saw on Muscle car this weekend that the segment on past cars will be on the thunderbolt. not sure what the main theme is but guessing it's a new episode. it's on spike tv sat am and repeat on sunday am.

alan